• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Class of 2011 University acceptance/decision thread.

oval30

Hey guys,

I am a senior right now applying to colleges and want to know whether there are other cuber out there like me. We can share some college app tips on this thread and hopefully we will get a large number of those who are actually seniors. k thnx.

Sincerely,
oval30

Anthony

Professional Speedcuber
WCA
2008SEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
2011 Senior reporting in.

I was actually admitted to the first college I applied to, Hillsdale, and that's where I'm headed. It's a relatively small liberal arts school in Michigan.
I guess I'll have to revive whatever cubing scene they've got going up there. :p
I know there's been at least one Michigan comp (Motor City Open 08).

Where are you thinking about going, OP?

y3k9

I'm not a senior, but I know there are books about college applications. Like a lot of them, just go down to the library.

NeedReality

WCA
2010MARK03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I applied to OSU (Ohio State) last month and got my acceptance letter about 2 weeks ago (they also invited me to the honors program which I'm not sure if I want to do or not). I'm all set for college now, though. I'm hoping to qualify for some merit scholarships due to my academic numbers, but I guess we'll see.

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was actually admitted to the first college I applied to, Hillsdale, and that's where I'm headed. It's a relatively small liberal arts school in Michigan.
I guess I'll have to revive whatever cubing scene they've got going up there. :p

Yesssuuuuuu.

There was another comp in Michigan being planned earlier this year, but it never happened (thread).

musicninja17

WCA
2010FISK01
Class of 2012 here; also gearing up for college search. idkwtf i'm going to do, slightly depressed on that fact. I get pretty good grades, and i'm interested in so many things.....but yeah.....

cuberr

Class of 2011.. Applied early action to Nazareth and will hopefully be receiving an acceptance letter in January. Also applying to Ithaca, but I won't find out about that until March. Either way, I really hope there will be other cubers there!

E

Ethan Rosen

The best advice that I got when I went through this process was to go somewhere where you'll be happy rather than nitpicking on trivial ratings that don't reflect anything much at all.

oval30

got into rutgers and drexel. Applying to Penn State, Temple, The College of New Jersey, Boston University, Johns Hopkins, Princeton, UPENN, Northwestern, Washington University in St. Louis, Duke, Harvard, Tufts, Brown University. Surprisingly, no one from my school got into Columbia early d.

LewisJ

got into rutgers and drexel. Applying to Penn State, Temple, The College of New Jersey, Boston University, Johns Hopkins, Princeton, UPENN, Northwestern, Washington University in St. Louis, Duke, Harvard, Tufts, Brown University. Surprisingly, no one from my school got into Columbia early d.

Also spending a four-digit number of dollars on application fees.

Early action: Caltech rejected; MIT deferred to regular decision
Regular decision: Carnegie Mellon; Stanford; Harvey Mudd; UChicago; UIdaho (NMS fullride backup); a couple others, unsure which exactly at this point, but I got some free application waivers as part of a college admissions process research program, so I ought to use them

JustinJ

Premium Member
WCA
2008JAFF01
Also spending a four-digit number of dollars on application fees.

Early action: Caltech rejected; MIT deferred to regular decision
Regular decision: Carnegie Mellon; Stanford; Harvey Mudd; UChicago; UIdaho (NMS fullride backup); a couple others, unsure which exactly at this point, but I got some free application waivers as part of a college admissions process research program, so I ought to use them

Just out of curiosity, how much does it cost you Americans to apply? Is it the same everywhere? In Ontario you have to apply to at least 3 programs (but you can apply to more), and it's 40 dollars each.

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
depends on the school.
University at Buffalo had a $50 application fee
TCNJ had a $75 application fee

with both schools I had to send out SAT scores and transcripts. For SAT scores the first 3 schools you apply to are included in the SAT registration (if you have more than 3 then you have to pay an additional $10 per school not including the 3 already). Transcripts for me are another $5-$15 per school.

Then again....I'm canadian sooooooo.

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
2011 Senior reporting in.

Where are you thinking about going, OP?

Sir, this by default means that you are now obligated to go to Indiana competitions!

Kian

WCA
2007BARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

:) What a wonderful place to go...

LewisJ

Just out of curiosity, how much does it cost you Americans to apply? Is it the same everywhere? In Ontario you have to apply to at least 3 programs (but you can apply to more), and it's 40 dollars each.

It varies from college to college, almost all between 50 and 100, the majority being 60 to 90. Many big universities will charge an app fee for each college you apply to within the university. It's a decent bet that oval's 15 app fees will cross the four-digit line.

babyle

WCA
2009LEAN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Applying to USC, UCLA, Berkeley, UCI, UCR, UCSD, Caltech, La Verne (recruited by them for their Cross Country team), UPenn, Cornell, Harvard, Yale, and Duke. I just found out I forgot to put my social security number on my UC application...