• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cincinnati Spring Open 2008

pcharles93

WCA
2008HUYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm just wondering if anyone here is going to be at the Cincinnati Spring Open?I only live 30 minutes away and it's the perfect oppurtunity to get some competition experience before flying to Georgia for the US Open this year.

pcharles93

WCA
2008HUYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I really want to know if any of you are going to show up. It's just bugging me. I don't know why but it is. I can't really show up to a social(if you can call cubing social)event without knowing someone, even by pseudonym, is going to show up.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm planning on being there and bringing my family. It's just too close to miss. There aren't many cities closer to Indianapolis than Cincinnati. We could make it a day trip if we had to.

It sure would be nice if I could convince some other big cube BLD solvers to show up and convince them to do big cubes BLD. But even if not, I'll probably be there. At least I can try to improve my 3x3x3 BLD there.

Anyone else want to do big cubes BLD there? Chris? Daniel? Dan? Tim? (I've just listed the ones who I think might live close enough, other than Jason who can't make it.) Anyone else? I just exchanged email with Jim Mertens (who's running it), and he said he could definitely make room for them (maybe during registration and lunch).

Last edited:

Tim Reynolds

Premium Member
WCA
2005REYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'd love to go but, like Phil, I've got ARML (big math contest). And Cincinnati is a pretty decent hike from NY, I'd try to go if I could but I'm not sure if I'd make it.

Good luck with BCBLD Mike...I've started learning my letter pairs so I hope to start getting faster quickly. I'm looking forward to becoming addicted to BCBLD.

Leo

If only I still lived in Ohio! Oh how I miss that place. But I might never have found cubing if I still lived there.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'd love to go but, like Phil, I've got ARML (big math contest). And Cincinnati is a pretty decent hike from NY, I'd try to go if I could but I'm not sure if I'd make it.

Good luck with BCBLD Mike...I've started learning my letter pairs so I hope to start getting faster quickly. I'm looking forward to becoming addicted to BCBLD.

I'm sorry to hear you won't be there, but I understand. And congrats on getting another 4x4x4 solve at Chattahoochee.

I'm sure you'll speed up as fast as I did as soon as you learn your letter pairs. Once it gets sub-15 every time (well, almost every time - one of my attempts at Chattahoochee was 17+; that was an awful scramble), you get a lot more addicted because you can do it more often.

Tim... that sounds good. If you keep w/ BCBLD, then I may have a chance at winning 3x3 at cornell ;)

So how about it, Dan? Can you make it to Cincinnati? 4x4x4 BLD, perhaps?

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Mike, I hate to tell you this, but I've basically given up on BLD. I don't find it really appealing. My problem with it, is that it's really not about cubing. It's all about memorization. As we always compare our sports' memory feats to more "traditional" memory sports, I've come to feel that BLD is no different. Unless I decide to work on a better memory method, or change my mind about liking memorizing things, the only real BLD I'm going to do is 3x3, until I get a sub 1:45 in competition. I don't even really practice that either...

Either way, I can't make it to Cincinnati, especially if I'm heading to other places. Good luck to you Mike and everyone else who'll be there!

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Aw, I'm sorry to hear that. But thanks for the good wishes, and good luck to you in the competitions you're going to.

Looks like I'm going to have to teach someone else to solve big cubes BLD by May 31. This will be a challenge. I wonder if I can get Jeff Beltz to make his first 4x4x4 solve a BLD solve. Hmmm....