• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Checking Out Cubes Like At a Library?

LyrikTech

WCA
2015DAVI03
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I was thinking about how nowadays all 3x3s and most other WCA events all come down to personal preference based on the feeling. But most people can't afford to buy a bunch of 3x3s to see which one they like best, or maybe they can't go to competitions too often. My solution to this is making a website that works kinda like a library or a gamefly or something, where a person pays a monthly or yearly fee, and they can check out a couple of cubes and set them up however they like and see if they like them. If they do they can go to the website and pay an extra fee (Much smaller than the subscription fee) and keep it. If they don't like them, they can either clean them out and return them to stock tensions themselves or pay another small fee, (Like $2 or something) for the company to do it. What are your guy's opinions on this?

jaredye

It's probably not a good idea to start a new company doing it. You can try to convince the existing stores, like thecubicle.us to try this model.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's an interesting idea, but for something as cheap as cubes, the shipping would probably cut too much into the price of the actual cube. I feel like it wouldn't be very profitable. Also, couldn't people theoretically cheat the system by just ordering a bunch of cubes, saying they like them all, and paying the small fee to keep them? Although, that does assume that this would be cheaper than buying them at a normal store. I feel like there are too many ways customers could take advantage of this.

Cubified

WCA
2016SCHK01
It's an interesting idea, but for something as cheap as cubes, the shipping would probably cut too much into the price of the actual cube. I feel like it wouldn't be very profitable. Also, couldn't people theoretically cheat the system by just ordering a bunch of cubes, saying they like them all, and paying the small fee to keep them? Although, that does assume that this would be cheaper than buying them at a normal store. I feel like there are too many ways customers could take advantage of this.
I wish this idea existed but like as an actual store

turtwig

Maybe if they want to keep it they pay an amount so that the amount is equal to buying the cube?

I really like this idea, but I feel like it'd be kind of hard to manage. You would have to make sure that everyone returns their cube in a good working condition.

D

Daniel Lin

Cool idea
If I wanted to find which 7x7 cube I liked the best, then I wouldn't have to spend 50 dollars for each cube, all I'd have to do is borrow and try them all
The only problem, as someone said, is making sure all cubes are being kept in good condition.

Drad

So I was thinking about how nowadays all 3x3s and most other WCA events all come down to personal preference based on the feeling. But most people can't afford to buy a bunch of 3x3s to see which one they like best, or maybe they can't go to competitions too often. My solution to this is making a website that works kinda like a library or a gamefly or something, where a person pays a monthly or yearly fee, and they can check out a couple of cubes and set them up however they like and see if they like them. If they do they can go to the website and pay an extra fee (Much smaller than the subscription fee) and keep it. If they don't like them, they can either clean them out and return them to stock tensions themselves or pay another small fee, (Like $2 or something) for the company to do it. What are your guy's opinions on this?
Couldn't someone set up a fake Paypal or something pay the fee and keep the cube ?

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
The problem with this is that a cube isn't that expensive when you factor shipping this just doesn't sound viable.

If you like your cube there is no need to switch. But wanting to try out these new cubes is something you have to learn to live with.

Drad

The problem with this is that a cube isn't that expensive when you factor shipping this just doesn't sound viable.

If you like your cube there is no need to switch. But wanting to try out these new cubes is something you have to learn to live with.
Yeah if I am interested in a cube i buy it and use it for other things if i don't like it like oh or feet.