• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Chat's Bad word filter

what do you think of the new word filter that banns you?

• Total voters

Smoid

I am just wondering what others think because sofar i have seen like 3 people kicked from saying "damnit another over 20" or something. And from saying damn (and **** once) I have now been banned for a day ^_^. Next accidental time i swear i am forever banned from chat which would really lessen my like of rubiks cube (my time is spent cubing and chatting, take away chatting, it just doesnt work lol)

So yeah. Maybe i just have grown up thinking damn isnt bad but it actually is, or that thing is a bit harsh :(

ps. Peter, wanna unban me ^_^

Scott

I agree, although you have to keep in mind that www.speedcubing.com is a "family-friendly" website. With that in mind, i think that only the heavy swears and racial slurs shoud be blocked (IE: the "F" word, the "N" slur, so on and so forth)

pjgat09

There has been a bug with the a word, and the list is currently off to be fixed. But please, don't swear. There is no need for it. We want the channel to be family friendly too, a place where you can ask speedcubing questions, and not a place where you hear swearing a lot. The list will stay on when it is repaired.

BillT

I think that they should simply get kicked rather than banned. But, I am greatly in favor of *cough* SELF CONTROL *cough*. Like Peter said, it's supposed to be a family-friendly chat. Not to mention, my mom has a habit of reading the computer screen over my shoulder, and I'm sure she doesn't appreciate the swearing. Maybe we could even consider (oh no, forbidden word) censoring some of the less appropriate language, rather than banning people. But as I said before, self control is the most preferable option.

-Bill

pjgat09

I am willing to negociate the banning policy, but swearing will be kicked, end of story. I was thinking maybe 3 swears (and 3 kicks) then a 5 minute ban for each offence after that. What do you think?

pjgat09

Me and Alex have discovered a channel setting with will replace your swears with <censored>. However, if you are caught bypassing this censor, we will ban you for 10 min. Don't swear, end of story.

Scott

What about americans? lol

But yea, thats pretty much true, but point is, were the world police, which is really sad when you think about it.

*Scott crosses the boarder to canada.

dougreed

Originally posted by PJK@Mar 21 2006, 05:54 PM
Most of the people that chat there arent anything but regular cubers, not there to cause harm. So Id say take it off.
Word. Take it off.

-Doug

Smoid

Yeah thanks pj. and Scott, Welcome to Canada! :)

The filter i think would be fine for the F word and the N***** slur. But other than that, I agree wtih PJK. Also alex, or peter are often in the chat to ban people the are REALLY bad swearers. :)

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Originally posted by Smoid@Mar 22 2006, 12:25 AM
Yeah thanks pj. and Scott, Welcome to Canada! :)

The filter i think would be fine for the F word and the N***** slur. But other than that, I agree wtih PJK. Also alex, or peter are often in the chat to ban people the are REALLY bad swearers. :)
Why can't you just say f*ck and n*gger? You're not using them in a hateful context so you don't have to refer to then in such a childish way. This makes them seem actually worse than they are.

I don't understand how a single word can be offensive.

I'm all against censorship, but I'm all for self-control.

:)

~Thom

dougreed

Originally posted by Kirjava@Mar 26 2006, 04:32 PM
Why can't you just say f*ck and n*gger? You're not using them in a hateful context so you don't have to refer to then in such a childish way. This makes them seem actually worse than they are.

I don't understand how a single word can be offensive.

I'm all against censorship, but I'm all for self-control.

:)

~Thom
I could have sworn this post was a tad different earlier. For what it's worth, I'm with Thom.

-Doug

ZarqaMalik

Peter I'm like you and can't stand it when people cuse ('cept that I don't care when people say the D word or the H word, but I think banning people is a little harsh. I kinda agree with Doug that you should take that off and that people should use self control. The censoring should stay though cuz if someone does cuss then it will only show as censored.

---Zarqa---

ZarqaMalik

Yeah I can understand about the whole self-control, it is hard. But if you have stopped banning people and still have the censoring on then there is no problem. Then it will only show as censored so people can cuss as long as they want and you won't have to ban people. I think everyone should be happy then..they can cuss but it will show as censored so others won't be offended and then no one will be banned. And people can try to atleast use self-control so they won't quit cussing but atleast not cuss as much.. :blink:.. :unsure:.. wait am I making any sense or am I just rambling to myself...gosh..

---Zarqa---