• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Changing Methods

Djaq Harris

Hello,

I've been cubing for roughly 3 months. So far I've managed to get sub 50 and I was able to get one sub 40 using the Roux method. I did Roux because I can be a bit of a hipster and didn't want to use the "popular" method of solving. Plus Roux was fun. Originally I was scared off of ZZ because I was intimidated by the number of algs ( I was under the impression that I'd have to learn all 3600 algs to be good at it and I thought that was a bit outside of my memory capacity.) I recently discovered that it's much simpler to use with a lower move count, but anytime i try to use any method that isn't roux I end up at OLL/PLL and end up doing PLL/LSE.

My understanding of sub-30 ( my current goal) is a mixture of move count and tps. I can speed up the turns through practice (both in muscle memory and lookahead) but I'm unsure of ways to lower the move count. Do anyone have any tips on either expanding my abilities in Roux or ways to augment my current solving method with concepts from others to lower my move count?

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
So, are you switching to zz from roux? Secondly, where did you get 3600 algs for zz? 1lll is 493 algs (because eo is already completed).

Anyway, whatever method you choose, you should try and be efficient, and as a beginner you should be trying to get sub 70 move solves, preferably sub 60, then bring it down with practice.

_zoux

(I was under the impression that I'd have to learn all 3600 algs to be good at it.
you don't need many alg's to get good with it, here are the most algsets and variants of zz with algcount:
Vanilla ZZ:
OCLL/PLL (28)
COLL/EPLL (46) // OCLL but you permute corners and end with edges only PLL
ZZ-C:
OLS/PLL (full ~530, 27 algs per set set on average) // last slot + OCLL
WV/PLL (49) // create pair, insert and solve OCLL in one alg
CLS/PLL (125) // insert edge and solve last corner and OCLL in one alg
SV/PLL (49) // R U R' pair insert, to be solved in one aly with OCLL
ELS/PLL (50) // insert corner and solve last edge and OCLL in one alg
WVCP(SVCP)/EPLL (183) / // R U' R'/R U R' pair insert, to be solved in one alg with COLL
ZZ-A:
ZBLL (493) // 1LLL
2CLS/ZBLL T/U/L/O (~250) // last slot but you orient 2 corners so you left with 4 ZBLL set
ZZLS/ZZLL (~250) // last slot but you phase edges, so they're always opposite or solved, and you're left with 4 algs per set of every ZBLL set
CPLS/2GLL (~130) // last slot but you permute corners, so you're left with 2 gen 80 alg LL
EPLS/L4C (~50) // last slot but you permute edges, so you're left with corners only LL
Misc:
TSLE/TTLL (ZZ-CT, ~200) // you solve last edge + OCLL, and then you permute everything left
OLLS/TPLL (ZZ-C#, ~200) // you solve last edge and a cornerm without care for corners orientation, and orient LL corners, a
then you're left with twisty PLL
TSLE, OLS/PLL , TTLL (ZZ-C++, ~600) // a mix of C and CT
L5C/L5E (24 - ~500)
and more