• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

CFOP F2L cube rotation reduction...

Jukuren

WCA
2011NANS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
so i was doing some solves last night with avgdi. He uses CFOP as his main and i use ZZ and he mentioned he has gotten better at reducing his cube rotations during F2L and i got to thinking about it... really you should only have to cube rotate no more then once during F2L in CFOP right? you can insert all your F2L pairs that are in 3 gen state from your current cube orientation, all dictated by the edge piece orientation (ie if your blue face in front after you finish your cross you can 3gen all your edge pairs that dont yeild Red/orange in facing F U or B) cube rotate once and insert the remaining pairs. seems like it would be pretty easy to recognize with a little practice... is this something that advanced CFOP users already practice? or is it just easier and faster to just insert the first pair you find cube rotate or not... just would like some opinions ^_^

CubicNL

WCA
2011WILD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If I understand you well you are restricted to two pairs, then rotate and do the other two..
If this is so, I think it doesn't give that much advantage, because the two pairs may not be the fastest (the other one could be faster even with rotation)
And if you get a crappy case for the last pair of one set of two, it isn't nice either...
But I guess it could be faster sometimes, but that is not faster as a standard way of doing f2l.

Jukuren

WCA
2011NANS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If I understand you well you are restricted to two pairs, then rotate and do the other two..
If this is so, I think it doesn't give that much advantage, because the two pairs may not be the fastest (the other one could be faster even with rotation)
And if you get a crappy case for the last pair of one set of two, it isn't nice either...
But I guess it could be faster sometimes, but that is not faster as a standard way of doing f2l.

it wouldnt always be 2 and 2... sometimes you would have 3 pairs you can insert 3gen from current state then rotate to insert the last one or any other variations. there would be times you wouldnt have to cube rotate at all... it all depends on the orientation of your E slice edges

Anonymous

I think that you're correct technically speaking, but sometimes restricting yourself to so few rotations can impede your lookahead / movecount. Obviously I'm no expert though.

Rpotts

WCA
2010POTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
most fast CFOP users try to track some f2l peice during cross and start as quickly as they can, looking ahead from there. Stopping after cross to count flipped edges would be a waste, especially if the edges are in B. + 3 gen f2l isn't faster than 6gen. Not limiting yourself early opens up your options for EO in later pairs.