• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Can someone give me some tips on getting faster?

Smirtdish

Here is a video of me, doing 3 solves. I'm not very fast, I just learned F2L, and for OLL I get the cross, then solve the top face from there. Then I solve the corners, and then edges. I was wondering if anyone can give me some help/tips on how I can get faster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNtcrjgakXE

(If someone can tell me how to add the embed code that would be great. LOL.)

collinbxyz

WCA
2010BURN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You need to get a better cube first of all. You shouldn't be learning F2L, OLL and PLL with rubik's brand. I do the same thing: F2L, 2look OLL, 2look PLL (Soon to be full PLL) and I average about 25-30 seconds.

Get the Dayan Guhong POM

and lubix

If you have the money, also get these stickers half bright is good. The small stickers are the best.

Once (Or if) you do that, it should lower your timer a lot. Than watch this and this.

Here is a video of one of my solves a couple weeks ago:

To embed a vid into the forum, Type in [ video ] 'Link to the video' [/ video ] No spaces at all though

Last edited by a moderator:

maggot

its kinda hard to tell what you're doing. you use too much wrist turning. maybe a DIY cube would help you. if you absolutely cannot get a DIY, make sure you're at least lubed with your storebought. your F2L needs much practice. just keep solving for that. i would say solve slow, but you already do that. as soon as you're comfortable with F2L, stop looking at what you are doing (lining up pieces, pairing, inserting pair) and start looking for your next pair. try to make it so you never stop turning the cube. try to minimize cube rotations as well. learn to insert and solve pairs from the back as well as the front. learn more PLLs. you already know how to do the corners and the edges separately, learn to do some of the easy PLLs (J, T, etc)
biggest advice, stop turning with your wrists, use your fingertips. get a better cube if you can!

Vinny

WCA
2011VECC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't think the stickers change anything... I changed my stickers and my averages don't really change, my cube just looks nicer... I have a half bright set on my Guhong and I still average around 20-23... It doesn't change anything.

Here's what I suggest. Get a DIY cube (since you use a Rubik's Brand, any cube would be an improvement). For you, I would suggest getting an F(II), GuHong, or something in the Alpha series. These cubes will help you a lot, even without lube, because I would say everything turns better than a store bought. If you want to lubricate your cubes to make them turn faster, I would suggest buying Maru Lube, because Lubix, although better, is much more expensive. However, if you get an F(II), I would HIGHLY recommend getting a set of stickers from Cubesmith.com, because the F(II) stickers are VERY poor quality and will start to fade into white within a week or so...

Just keep practicing your OLLs and PLLs, and you'll learn to recognize your cases quicker and your times will drop. As for F2L, it all about practice. It will probably take you a pretty decent amount of time to curb your F2L times down.

y3k9

collinbxyz:
Stop posting, the only thing your saying is get a better cube. A better cube doesn't help you get better, it just reduced lock-ups and stuff.

If you want to get better, try learning fingertricks (I don't know if you know them already).

Vinny

WCA
2011VECC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, I agree with y3k9. I was able to solve the cube in under 30 seconds with my storebought using LBL and 4LLL... A better cube is recommended basically after you get the whole fingertrick thing down, because a faster cube will help fingertricks, but the way you're turning the cue, it won't help much...

pi.cubed

You need to get a better cube first of all. You shouldn't be learning F2L, OLL and PLL with rubik's brand. I do the same thing: F2L, 2look OLL, 2look PLL (Soon to be full PLL) and I average about 25-30 seconds.

Why? I am unable to get any other cube because my parents don't buy things over the internet so I lubed my Storebought and it's honestly not that bad. I'm sure it's not as good as any of the main cubes, but it does the job. I use the same method as you (with a few extra PLL's) and average the same as you with a storebought.
If you also add in the fact that I hardly practise, you can see storeboughts aren't that bad.

Last edited:

Cool Frog

half bright is good.
The small stickers are the best.

Once (Or if) you do that, it should lower your timer a lot.
Turn accurately, You don't need 45 degree corner cutting just to be more precise on your turns
Helped me with Roux not so much for CFOP.
Small stickers are best, Why?
I don't need a lower timer? But, a cube and stickers didn't lower my time. When I got my first DIY my times improved by nothing. Only by getting better at the method did my times improve. When I switched to Roux my times went to 1:20 and then went down gradually as I looked ahead more, predicted corner orientation, understood the corner permutation of cases, and looking ahead in between steps.

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Collinbxyz, I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with almost everything you said. There is no reason not to be learning full Fridrich, in fact, the worse the cube the better it would be to know more algs as it will reduce the move count. With a harder to turn cube, less moves means faster times.
The general opinion on the Guhong POM is that it isn't as good as the regular Guhong.
Also I think smaller stickers make colour recognition harder - I certainly find look ahead much more difficult on my F2 than any of my other cubes.

WCA
2010LECA01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Get the Dayan Guhong POM

and lubix

If you have the money, also get these stickers half bright is good. The small stickers are the best.

Once (Or if) you do that, it should lower your timer a lot. Than watch this and this.

Here is a video of one of my solves a couple weeks ago:

To embed a vid into the forum, Type in [ video ] 'Link to the video' [/ video ] No spaces at all though

I don't think so.

Last edited by a moderator: