• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Can Blender be used for 3D printing puzzles?

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I have used SolidWorks a tiny bit before as an industry standard tool but I would like to work with free software that also runs on many platforms including Linux. Does anyone have experience with Blender enough to say whether it can be used easily for the complexity of 3D printing, compared to SolidWorks? I know Tony Fischer uses SketchUp but I last used it like a decade ago and I'm not interested really in going back.

Depends, also long as the software supports exporting obj files then I think yes, you should be able to import different files into whatever software your printer uses.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Depends, also long as the software supports exporting obj files then I think yes, you should be able to import different files into whatever software your printer uses.
Maybe I should clarify I'm not asking if it's possible, I'm asking if it's a realistic workflow.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
After looking online I've found dedicated CAD tools like Fusion 360 or Solidworks to be much better than Blender for measurement-based builds.
I also want to know if anyone here has experience in 3d printing without an engineering background. I've always been interested in mechanical things like building lego robots and the like but I don't have any formal engineering background.