• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

CadenTheCuber’s progression thread

What new puzzle should I get?

• 6x6 +

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • 2x2x3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Clock

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Kilominx

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Caden Fisher

WCA
2022FISH12
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello, I’m Caden Fisher, or CadenTheCuber. I average around 24-25 seconds on 3x3 right now. I’m hoping to hit sub 20 in the next couple of months. I’ll update this thread when I hit a milestone or just do a bunch of solves. I know full Pll and I’m learning full Oll. If anyone has tips for improvement please leave them here. Thanks

I just filmed this ao5. If someone could watch and note some things that I could improve, that would be great. Thanks
25.16 ao5

bulkocuber

I just filmed this ao5. If someone could watch and note some things that I could improve, that would be great. Thanks
25.16 ao5
You're lucky, you have a lot of things to improve and bad habits to quit.

- improve your turning. This problem is also related to your rough turning style. You have an aggressive turning style, thus you lock up a lot; you should do some slow solves just focusing on not locking up, then each of the next solves try to gradually increase the turning speed while still making sure you don't lock up (note that in this case by slow solve I mean a normal solve but with slow turning, and I'm not saying anything about look ahead, which is too advanced for you now IMO). In addition to this you should drill your LL algs to make them more consistent; for instance, when I execute a T perm at a controlled speed I can do it in ~1 second, but if I try to do it as fast I as can, I'll either get a 0.8 or get a 1.8 because of lock ups. Obviously you have to turn fast, but not too fast for you to control it.
If you can remove lock ups from your solves, you can shave at least 1 second off.

- reduce regrips. This refers to both F2L and LL. Every time you regrip your thumb to the bottom during F2L, you're wasting time unnecessarily, for example when you're doing R U R' or R U2 R' or R U' R' you shouldn't regrip your thump. Same thing for last layer algs (such as T perm and N perms): don't regrip at the beginning of the alg, even though sometimes it's just a soft regrip, and don't regrip in the middle: there are a lot of videos about PLL fingertricks, you just have to look for one of them and see how you should execute your PLLs and OLLs.
Each regrip takes more than one move, so you can shave off a second at least (I think..) by avoiding them

- plan the entire cross in inspection. In some solves you did it, but not in all the solves. Also, do it efficiently, trying to do it in less than
8 moves always.

- don't do unnecessary rotations in F2L. There's one simple trick you have to remember: when you're solving an F2L case where the edge lines up with the right or left center (If it is oriented), you don't need to do any rotation; if it lines up with the front or back center (If it is not oriented) then you might need to do one rotation (at most). This is not something you should work on when you do timed solves: you should work on this especially doing untimed solves where you have plenty of time to think about it. If you do more than one rotations to solve a certain case, look up for a way to solve it rotationless or with only one rotation. Also, start solving F2L pairs in the back, not just in the front. One easy way to force yourself to do it is doing untimed F2L where you can't turn the cube until you completely recognise the case and know if you have to rotate or not.

- use double flick M2s. If you want to use MU algs for U, H, Z perms, use double flick M2s, because they make the alg a lot faster. Same thing with D2s in A perms

Last edited:

Caden Fisher

WCA
2022FISH12
YouTube
Visit Channel

- improve your turning. This problem is also related to your rough turning style. You have an aggressive turning style, thus you lock up a lot; you should do some slow solves just focusing on not locking up, then each of the next solves try to gradually increase the turning speed while still making sure you don't lock up (note that in this case by slow solve I mean a normal solve but with slow turning, and I'm not saying anything about look ahead, which is too advanced for you now IMO). In addition to this you should drill your LL algs to make them more consistent; for instance, when I execute a T perm at a controlled speed I can do it in ~1 second, but if I try to do it as fast I as can, I'll either get a 0.8 or get a 1.8 because of lock ups. Obviously you have to turn fast, but not too fast for you to control it.
If you can remove lock ups from your solves, you can shave at least 1 second off.

- reduce regrips. This refers to both F2L and LL. Every time you regrip your thumb to the bottom during F2L, you're wasting time unnecessarily, for example when you're doing R U R' or R U2 R' or R U' R' you shouldn't regrip your thump. Same thing for last layer algs (such as T perm and N perms): don't regrip at the beginning of the alg, even though sometimes it's just a soft regrip, and don't regrip in the middle: there are a lot of videos about PLL fingertricks, you just have to look for one of them and see how you should execute your PLLs and OLLs.
Each regrip takes more than one move, so you can shave off a second at least (I think..) by avoiding them

- plan the entire cross in inspection. In some solves you did it, but not in all the solves. Also, do it efficiently, trying to do it in less than
8 moves always.

- don't do unnecessary rotations in F2L. There's one simple trick you have to remember: when you're solving an F2L case where the edge lines up with the right or left center (If it is oriented), you don't need to do any rotation; if it lines up with the front or back center (If it is not oriented) then you might need to do one rotation (at most). This is not something you you work on when you do timed solves: you should work on this especially doing untimed solves where you have plenty of time to think about it. If you do more than one rotations to solve a certain case, look up for a way to solve it rotationless or with only one rotation. Also, start solving F2L pairs in the back, not just in the front. One easy way to force yourself to do it is doing untimed F2L where you can't turn the cube until you completely recognise the case and know if you have to rotate or not.

- use double flick M2s. If you want to use MU algs for U, H, Z perms, use double flick M2s, because they make the alg a lot faster. Same thing with D2s in A perms
Thank you so much! This is a huge help! I’ll definitely spend some time working on all of the things you mentioned.

Imsoosm

8 moves always.

- don't do unnecessary rotations in F2L. There's one simple trick you have to remember: when you're solving an F2L case where the edge lines up with the right or left center (If it is oriented), you don't need to do any rotation; if it lines up with the front or back center (If it is not oriented) then you might need to do one rotation (at most). This is not something you should work on when you do timed solves: you should work on this especially doing untimed solves where you have plenty of time to think about it. If you do more than one rotations to solve a certain case, look up for a way to solve it rotationless or with only one rotation. Also, start solving F2L pairs in the back, not just in the front. One easy way to force yourself to do it is doing untimed F2L where you can't turn the cube until you completely recognise the case and know if you have to rotate or not.

Dang, I don't know how to do double flick D2... I've tried it with my pinkie and ring finger, but my finger either doesn't turn it or misses the turn. Same with U2.

Caden Fisher

WCA
2022FISH12
YouTube
Visit Channel
New pb ao25

Generated By csTimer on 2022-06-09
avg of 25: 21.822

Time List:
1. 20.768 F' L2 U' L2 U' D2 F' R B2 R2 F' R2 U2 B L2 D2 B' U2 D2 F'
2. 22.557 L D2 L U2 B' L B2 U L' D2 B2 U2 L2 D2 B' D2 L2 F' R2 F2
3. 22.601 F' D2 B L2 R2 B' U2 F R2 F L2 F' L B' R U' B' F2 D F' R
4. 20.383 L' F D2 L2 D B U' L' B2 D B2 U' F2 D2 B2 L2 D F2 R' F
5. 24.684 R' D' L' R2 U B2 U' B2 U2 B2 D L2 F2 U B F2 D' B' U' L B
6. (18.547) U R U F2 R2 D2 R2 D' B2 R2 D' F2 U2 L F2 R2 B L2 D' L'
7. (26.353) D B R2 D2 B2 F D2 L2 R2 B' U2 R2 L' D B' D R B U2 L'
8. (17.492) U B2 F D' L2 U F2 D' L2 D R2 D2 F2 L' B U L' U L2 U2
9. 21.518 U2 F2 D2 R2 B2 F' L2 D2 B D2 B' R' B R' B' U R' F L D' F'
10. 20.448 F2 U2 B2 L2 B2 D' B2 U' L2 U R' U' F U L' R' B' F L' D'
11. 20.889 B2 L2 D U R2 U2 R2 B2 D F2 L' D' F' R U2 F' D' B2 R
12. 21.475 U F2 D2 B2 L2 D' U2 L2 B2 F2 U L U R2 U' L2 B2 U B
13. 22.205 L2 B R2 D2 F' U2 F2 D2 R2 D2 L2 B' L B2 F L' F2 U' F D U'
14. 20.040 F2 D U2 F2 L2 D' U' F2 L2 U' L' U F2 D F' L B U' B2 F2
15. 22.415 F B D' R2 F L' U' B' D2 L' F2 R2 F2 D2 L' B2 D2 B2 D2 L D'
16. 22.198 U R2 B2 U' R2 D' L2 F2 L2 U2 F2 U2 F L' U B2 R' B2 L2 D L
17. 22.776 L' B2 R2 D' F2 D F2 U R2 U' F2 L2 F U2 L R' D' B2 R2 F L'
18. 22.286 R L2 F' B' D B2 L R2 B2 U' B2 R2 D' L2 U2 D' F2 B2 U' F'
19. (27.122) L F U2 L U2 L' F2 L' F2 R' B2 L2 D2 F2 D F' L' R2 D B D
20. 23.846 R' B' L U2 B2 R2 D' L2 F2 R2 B2 F2 U2 R F L2 U R D R2
21. 25.343 D L2 U2 R B' L U D2 F2 B2 R' F2 L2 F2 R' D2 R' D' B
22. 21.201 F2 D R2 D L2 D U2 F2 U R U F D' R2 U F' D2 U2 F2
23. 20.032 B2 U' L2 D' L2 U2 R2 D F2 U2 R2 F2 R' F U' B U R D' F2 R
24. 19.560 D B' U L2 B2 U B2 L2 U R2 U2 F2 D L' B U' R' U' F' L'
25. 21.039 L2 B2 D' B2 U2 L2 D U2 R2 U F R' U2 L R2 B U2 B D' F U'

Also, solve 8 is my new pb single. 17.492

Caden Fisher

WCA
2022FISH12
YouTube
Visit Channel
New Pb ao5!!! First sub 20 ao5!

Generated By csTimer on 2022-06-16
avg of 5: 19.424

Time List:
1. 19.237 U R2 U L2 B2 L2 R2 U2 B2 U F2 R' B2 D' L2 U L' B' F' D B
2. (23.917) D' F2 L' D' R' F U' F U2 R2 F' U2 R2 U2 B' R2 B' R2 D2 U' B2
3. 19.564 L2 B2 L2 D' R2 D F2 D U R2 U R D2 B' U L2 B2 D2 L' B' D'
4. (18.019) U D2 L U2 F2 B' R2 U F D2 F2 L D2 L F2 D2 B2 D2 L2 F2 L'
5. 19.472 F2 U' B2 U F' U' R' D' U2 R2 F' D2 R2 F2 D2 L2 B2 R'

Caden Fisher

WCA
2022FISH12
YouTube
Visit Channel
gj yo! sub 15 soon

btw why do you not post on yt
Thanks! Can’t wait for sub 15. New vid coming out in the morning. I just keep forgetting to edit my videos. I’ll try to be more consistent.

Hey all. I just did an ao12 of all of the Plls and could use some feedback. If someone could tell me which ones are good and which I should work on I’d really appreciate it. Thanks

T : 1.68
Ja : 2.17
Jb : 1.30
Y : 1.75
Ra : 2.30
Rb : 2.06
E : 2.22
F : 2.41
Aa : 2.01
Ab : 2.00
V : 2.56
H : 1.69
Ua : 2.34
Ub : 1.79
Z : 2.32
Na : 3.45
Nb : 3.78
Ga : 2.72
Gb : 3.06
Gc : 2.77
Gd : 2.39

For the ones I should work on, how many times should I do them? 100, 500? Thanks