• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Brief History Lesson

While the WCA only recognizes certain events, some results were lost after the WCA database went into use. Do you remember who set these WRs?

3x3x3 Without Inspection
Anssi Vanhala
2x2x2 One-handed
Gunnar Krig
3x3x3 Speed Blindfolded
Geir Ugelstad
Siamese Cube
Gunnar Krig
Bonus: Kenneth Brandon former WR
Rubik's Magic One-handed
Bob Burton
Rainbow Cube
Chris Parlette
3x3x3 3-in-a-row
Anssi Vanhala

If anyone has any more, please tell!

Last edited:

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Zane_C

Premium Member
WCA
2010CARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I suck at speed BLD, I can't do freestyle or anything fancy so I can only do very planned old Pochmann as fast as I can.
Back to the topic, I didn't even know some of these older events existed.
I personally think 2x2x2 BLD should of been instead of 2x2x2 OH.

ugelstad

WCA
2005UGEL01
Hi,

I also do not think blindfold several cubes is very interesting. I just did that just after I did the first official (Guinness) record in blindfolding one. (I tried once to blindfold 6 Rubik’s cubes with success)

I could have started to blindfolded 4x4x4 (I.e. after doing 3x3x3) but my 4x4x4 was in so poor shape that it would not have worked.

Best regards
Geir Ugelstad

PS: But 3x3x3 Speed Blindfold is great stuff!

CharlesOBlack

You only time the length of the solution, the memorization phase is not included. Overall time limits can be set for the length of the attempt in total, but that is the basic idea.

Chris

that makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking.

still, though - 23 seconds?

CharlesOBlack

Typical good times now are more like 15 to 20 seconds. But at the time, 23 seconds was pretty great!

what sort of method would you use for this?... I'd probably find a way to solve several pieces at once and then picture how the unsolved pieces would be after those moves, then memo those >.>

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
what sort of method would you use for this?... I'd probably find a way to solve several pieces at once and then picture how the unsolved pieces would be after those moves, then memo those >.>

Like this.

As you can see, Lucas has done significantly better than 15 to 20 seconds. He can actually beat Haiyan execution times. So I guess there's still justification for standard speedBLD methodology. A few seconds' worth. :)

(And actually, if Feliks ever learned it, I assume he'd be sub-10.)