• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] Born again Cuber

Foxed

Hey y'all, recently new AGAIN to cubing. I discovered cubing way back in 2004. Quickly became bored with beginner/cfop and was intimidated with the agl set after i learned 2-look. Discovered Roux while looking for a more intuitive method and fell in love. I reached my maximum speed with the method not long after ~45 seconds. Since there wasnt a lot of literature on the method at the time i resigned my cube feeling i had reached my potential.

Fast forward 16 years and I'm rediscovering the cube with fresh eyes because of pandemic boredom. The advancements in roux are mind blowing and I'm working on getting a better intuitive understanding of the method.

Currently sub-38 ao5 and grinding that time down fast. Learned some new algs and really working on speeding up blocks and grasping eolr, though i still mostly use traditional lse for speed solves, my eolr recog is very slow at the moment. PB time is 23.06 so im confident i can get sub 20 sometime soon if i can cut my block building time in half.

To any other rouxers out there, how do you grip your cube for LSE? I invented my own ambidextrous grip using both pinkys for M' and M2 and can do U, U', U2 with both hands. Not sure how the tps compares to a standard grip like Kians since my tps isnt that high to begin with.

Cubes:
Weilong gts 2m
Yj mgc

anyway trying to find footing in the community again since i dont have any cubing friends haha

Foxed

I do all Ms with my right hand, and all Us with my left hand.

Im learning that grip as well, but i find my MUs are just so slow. I suppose it just takes a lot of muscle conditioning but right now i get maybe 2tps and i run into MUMUMU all the time...like way more than i see anyone else haha

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Welcome! I'm also a born again cuber since i left the community for about 8 years then came back; it was the intuitive understanding and non-wca solving that got me back into things. Good luck with all your goals and progress. It seems pandemic boredom has us all cubing more than usual!

Im learning that grip as well, but i find my MUs are just so slow. I suppose it just takes a lot of muscle conditioning but right now i get maybe 2tps and i run into MUMUMU all the time...like way more than i see anyone else haha
You should be able to avoid MUMUMU like all the time...
Also, 2 TPS is pretty good. With 2 TPS throughout your entire solve, you should be able to average sub-25 with roux (like 30 with 2-look CMLL)

Foxed

You should be able to avoid MUMUMU like all the time...
Also, 2 TPS is pretty good. With 2 TPS throughout your entire solve, you should be able to average sub-25 with roux (like 30 with 2-look CMLL)

With my other grip i can get double or triple that speed. I know people say its easy to avoid MUs but i run into eolr cases that end up having the MUMU simply because its a mirror case or something like that. I havent quitw gotten to a place where i underatand eolr intuitively enough to avoid it. If i do normal 3-look LSE its not really a problem i run into since i know how to make an arrow intuitively from any position, it only pops up when im trying to insert LR while making the arrow

With my other grip i can get double or triple that speed. I know people say its easy to avoid MUs but i run into eolr cases that end up having the MUMU simply because its a mirror case or something like that. I havent quitw gotten to a place where i underatand eolr intuitively enough to avoid it. If i do normal 3-look LSE its not really a problem i run into since i know how to make an arrow intuitively from any position, it only pops up when im trying to insert LR while making the arrow
According to kian, you should only start eolr when you're sub-15...

Foxed

According to kian, you should only start eolr when you're sub-15...

I dont use eolr in timed solves because my recog is too slow, but i have most of the cases under my belt, i like trying to ubderstand all the dynamics, makes the last step so much more fun and interesting. My main objective is cutting my block building time in half and strengthening my finger tricks and inspection. I dont think its ever too soon to start learning something new though.