• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

bloc 1x1x2 on corner probability

deadalnix

WCA
2008SECH01
Basically, this is about getting an edge matched with an adjacent corner on a randomly scrambled cube.

I'm usually not so bad at proba, but I get really stick on that one. I don't even know where to start :/ Any ideo to start with will be really apreciated :D

deadalnix

WCA
2008SECH01
Yes, I was considering this thread, but I think the problem is way too complex and would have messed up the thread.

I have noticed in my practice that it seems quite common, but not on enough scrambles to have an accurante result (I guess something like 0.4 is a realistic estimation).

irontwig

WCA
2010JERN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The probability thread kinda sucks since it's too flooded with questions like "What's the probability for getting two PLL skips in a row?". I've tried to ask non-trivial questions, but to no avail. :/

Lucas Garron

WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The probability thread kinda sucks since it's too flooded with questions like "What's the probability for getting two PLL skips in a row?". I've tried to ask non-trivial questions, but to no avail. :/
What about making a wiki page?

Perhaps a chart of probabilities, along with misc. facts, would be useful.

As for the original question in this thread:

1/24 for a pair to match, 24 possible pairs. So, about 1-(23/24)^24 ≈ 0.64

Last edited:

deadalnix

WCA
2008SECH01
Ok, I think you took the right direction lucas ! However, pairs are not independant, so your result isn't correct.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
I tried looking at it via inclusion-exclusion a previous time it was brought up. It got quite difficult quite quickly. How is a 1x1x3 to be handled? Is this two separate 1x1x2 pairs? How about a 2x2x2? Is this 3 separate 1x1x2 pairs? Those were the issues I ran into with such an approach.