• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Blindsolving stamina

How many 3BLD solves can you do in one sitting?

• 10+ solves/session

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • 25+ solves/session

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • 50+ solves/session

• 100+ solves/session

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • 200+ solves/session

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 500+ solves/session

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • 3 solves/session

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • 1 solve/session

• Total voters

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How many solves in a 3BLD session does it take before you experience a mild headache?

DNF rate can be anything from <5% to 95%.

(Comment your globals below too, for example,
50 solves and I average global 45 seconds,
or 200 solves and I average global 20 seconds)

The graph that I got while polling for 3BLD, 4BLD and 5BLD are.

bld2.PNG

Original posts (3bld 4bld 5bld)

Note: I did not normalise the 3 lines as different number of people participated in each poll, and not everyone voted in all the 3 polls.

porkynator

WCA
2011TRON02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I did 300 once, I am fairly sure I could do 500+ if I had time.
I can get "mild headache" after 60-80 solves, but a 3-4 minutes break is enough to feel better, and I can start again. I'd still cal this "one sitting".

(This was true back when I used to practice regularly, I have not done 3BLD in a while now so it might be different)

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I did 300 once, I am fairly sure I could do 500+ if I had time.
I can get "mild headache" after 60-80 solves, but a 3-4 minutes break is enough to feel better, and I can start again. I'd still cal this "one sitting".

(This was true back when I used to practice regularly, I have not done 3BLD in a while now so it might be different)
Wow thats a lot of stamina. I saw Gianfranco do 300 solves in front of me, in a day once, when we finished with 3BLD finals in Asians 2016. It was the first time, I saw a person doing 300 solves without a break. So much motivation.

The max. I have done in one sitting is just 100 solves.

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
When I was at my peak a year or two ago, I averaged about 50 and I could only do like 20-30ish before getting tired. My corner recall is the first thing I notice getting worse.
On a somewhat unrelated note, I agree with Ben that your graph is a little weird. It would make more sense as a bar graph with the way you're measuring it now.

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
I thought about this a bit: the faster you are, the more you can do in a session before burnout. If you avg 20 seconds for 3x3, obviously it's a huge amount of effort to get that fast, but it allows you to practice so many more solves than someone who takes 5 minutes per solve.
Yeah, it’s similar to how a person can do way more 3x3 solves in a session than they can 7x7 in the same amount of time.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I thought about this a bit: the faster you are, the more you can do in a session before burnout. If you avg 20 seconds for 3x3, obviously it's a huge amount of effort to get that fast, but it allows you to practice so many more solves than someone who takes 5 minutes per solve.
Exactly what I thought when I first read this thread. I was thinking that back at my peak, when I sometimes did 150 solves in a single sitting (which was pretty much my limit then), that took about as long as 400 to 500 solves for a typical top BLD solver today.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've tried to 3bld session before, but its just so exhausting at my level (I average 3-5 minutes). I spend so much energy making sure my memo is correct and then especially if I mess it up, I really don't feel like spending another 5 minutes doing another solve, likely not getting a completed solve.
I think the most I've ever done is maybe 3-4 in one sitting, and that was when I was able to get solves low 3.

Sometimes I'll do a single solve on the bus, but often even that feels like too much.

Last edited:

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
On a side note, do you guys think that doing 24 hour MBLD attempt is possible, lets say with the condition that we maintain 30 cube an hour pace and have splits as 20 hour memo and 4 hour exec?

Reactions: qwr

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
On a side note, do you guys think that doing 24 hour MBLD attempt is possible, lets say with the condition that we maintain 30 cube an hour pace and have splits as 20 hour memo and 4 hour exec?
I wonder if taking brief naps or let's say higher memo pace then a mental break to review would help

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Revisiting this topic, I have a question.

Does doing mixed BLD session help prolong the fatigue, or help us do more BLD solves in one session?

Session Plan A: For example 20 solves of 3BLD, then one MBLD attempt, then some bigBLD and then finish off the session with some 3BLD.
Session Plan B: Big hour long MBLD, followed by shorter 10 cube MBLD attempts, then some 3BLD to end the session.

I have seen this to work quite a lot and seen in all @sigalig streams that mixed BLD practice works the best.