• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Blindfold Failures Thread

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
Y PERM IS NOT CENTER SAFE FOR BIG CUBES!!!1

Luckily I've already had a few success, but they're rare, because it means I didn't use a y-perm.

EDIT: I just found out a J-perm isn't center safe either wtf! I don't understand how stupid and blind I've been the last 2 months. That means my entire corner method is the reason I've been dnf-ing so many times.

Big Cube BLD is fun isn't it?
On your successes you will have had (grammar??) 8 corner targets so your centers ended back in the original position.
Another 4BLD parity tip: the typical r2 parity alg r2 D’ L’ F l’ U2 etc etc is also not center safe.
So preferably start with centers.

To help me in my big bld quest I have thoroughly searched the BLD forums for parity / solving order info.
With the time big BLD attempts take this seemed like a good approach 

To lessen your frustration; you can be sure that your post will be extremely helpful for future solvers

To make sure you stay on the right track:
How do you handle parity on corners?

TheMachanga

WCA
2010LECH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How do you handle parity on corners?

I leave the two corners switched and solve them at the very end of everything, using the 4x4 PLL parity alg, then a T-perm

I now use Orienting Corners then permuting them with set-up moves and A-Perms. Sometimes, I get a case where I can't set up to an A-Perm (ex. UBR -> ULF -> DRF). I have to use 2 y-perms for this, then do 2 T-perms to put the centers back.

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
I leave the two corners switched and solve them at the very end of everything, using the 4x4 PLL parity alg, then a T-perm

I now use Orienting Corners then permuting them with set-up moves and A-Perms. Sometimes, I get a case where I can't set up to an A-Perm (ex. UBR -> ULF -> DRF). I have to use 2 y-perms for this, then do 2 T-perms to put the centers back.

Those nasty centers :)

As I solve centers first (as per ZaneC's thread) I do not have to worry about them.

I solve cornerst last with OP and my parity fix for corners is simply:
solve all corners
y' - 4x4x4 adjecent edge swap
done

Sebastien

Premium Member
WCA
2008AURO01
I solved corners first with Y Perms and highly recommend it. That's how I do it:

4*n targets: perfect!
4*n+1 targets: solve 4*n targets, do centers, solve last target, do parity.
4*n+2 targets: solve corners, add 2 Y-Perms
4*n+3 targets: solve corners, add a Y-Perm, solve centers, do a Y-Perm and do parity.

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
THX for sharing but don't you think it look a little "complicated" and could lead to errors?

What is exactly your reason for recommending this approach?

The one thing that I think could be beneficial with solving corners first is the memo part.
Memo corners last, solve them first using short term memo like visual, tapping or audio-loop.

EDIT:
After thinking this over for a little while...

The advantage in memo may be well worth the little extra effort in execution.
Currently I solve in the same order as I memo meaning that I have to make all memo parts quite “deep”

Guess I will do some experimenting of mixing my memo-solve order :)

Last edited:

Sebastien

Premium Member
WCA
2008AURO01
THX for sharing but don't you think it look a little "complicated" and could lead to errors?

Not at all! I have listed each case to avaoid question but actually I think it is quite intuitive what to do if you do corners first. By the way: From my experience 8 targets is the most common case, so most of the time you can just do corners first without extra stuff.

As you already said the advantage comes from the fact that corners don't need to be memorized deeply. When doind 4BLD I just memorize centers, memorize edges, review my memo, quick memo corners and then start.

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
Not at all! I have listed each case to avaoid question but actually I think it is quite intuitive what to do if you do corners first. By the way: From my experience 8 targets is the most common case, so most of the time you can just do corners first without extra stuff.

As you already said the advantage comes from the fact that corners don't need to be memorized deeply. When doind 4BLD I just memorize centers, memorize edges, review my memo, quick memo corners and then start.

Yeah I came to the same conclusion in thinking it over, see my edit in my original reply.
I'm definitely going to try this.

My current times are low 20's and cutting back on memo could be that little extra boost to get unde 20 minutes.

Rubiks560

Nub
WCA
2009OLSO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Y PERM IS NOT CENTER SAFE FOR BIG CUBES!!!1

I just learned this now, after tons of 4 BLD dnf's, where I just didn't understand what I was doing wrong because I memorized everything. I do my corners before my centers, and after orienting them, I use y-perms along with j perms to solve them.

:fp

I can't believe I've been doing this for over 20 attempts. Luckily I've already had a few success, but they're rare, because it means I didn't use a y-perm.

EDIT: I just found out a J-perm isn't center safe either wtf! I don't understand how stupid and blind I've been the last 2 months. That means my entire corner method is the reason I've been dnf-ing so many times.

Double post. This is why you do centers first :p

Mikel

Premium Member
WCA
2011MIKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay, so I really want to get 5/5 Multi Blind and I did an attempt today.

4/5 in 37:31.94

The 3rd cube was off by 3 edges! After checking the scramble to see if my edge memo was correct, I found out that it was. My alg that I use to switch DF (buffer) with UF is U2 M' U2 M' but this only works on the odd edge targets I solve, not evens. AND I USED IT ON AN EVEN!!! If I would have done M U2 M U2, I would have had my 5/5 MBLD. How unfortunate. :(

rock1313

WCA
2012HAMA03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay, so I really want to get 5/5 Multi Blind and I did an attempt today.

4/5 in 37:31.94

The 3rd cube was off by 3 edges! After checking the scramble to see if my edge memo was correct, I found out that it was. My alg that I use to switch DF (buffer) with UF is U2 M' U2 M' but this only works on the odd edge targets I solve, not evens. AND I USED IT ON AN EVEN!!! If I would have done M U2 M U2, I would have had my 5/5 MBLD. How unfortunate. :(
Dude I know how you feel

You will get all 5 eventually