• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Blindfold Failures Thread

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay, that qualifies as absolutely my most frustrating attempt at anything ever:

7x7x7 multiBLD: 1/2 = 0 points, 2:27:16.69

The second one (second one memorized, first one solved) was off by just 2 central edges. Everything else was perfect. As it turns out, when I was memorizing, there were 2 flipped edges, and I only saw one of them.

AAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I can take consolation in the fact that, if you ignore the time constraints, I'm the only one who has ever gotten a non-DNF in 7x7x7 multiBLD by WCA rules. :)

Memorization was something like an hour and a half. (I triple-refreshed because I wanted this to be a success so badly.) I spoke the exact amount at the beginning of the video I was taking, so I can find it out from that if I can ever bring myself to watch it.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
You filmed? Speed up and upload! :D

Maybe tomorrow. If I don't destroy the tape in frustration first. :)

Oh, and one more thing: I actually mismemorized one of the center pieces. I had the letter H twice in my memo. I was able to narrow the options down to just a few possible pieces, and then I guessed based on what I most often do (confusing the right and front sides). And I guessed right! That actually probably cut 10 to 15 minutes off of my solve time, because after that I figured it was a DNF and sped up, just to get it over with.

CuberN00b

1st attempt SOLVED @ Jogja after IC 2010 before i went to Jakarta
2nd Attempt DNF (Flipped corners at the aircraft)
3rd attempt DNF (Edge flipped @ house, not my house really)
Do i have a fate of DNF'ed with FLIPS???

dada222

Got very close to my first 3x3 time today. Just two pairs of swapped corners :(

EDIT: This time I was certain to complete it alright but my cube thought otherwise. Pop :(

Last edited:

MiloD

I just had an amazing solve. I did a lot of practicing last night with my new corner memo system and it is already paying off. The solve was definitely below 1:20 maybe even below 1:10...30 second memo, tops... the failure was not timing it.

do stack-mats make anyone else nervous?

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
The second one (second one memorized, first one solved) was off by just 2 central edges.

...this sounds familiar. 5x5 multi?

Uh, yeah. I think I have identified a particular weakness. But on the 5x5x5 I think I memorized the wrong sticker, whereas here I just didn't see a flipped-in-place edge. I guess I need to be more careful memorizing central edges when doing these multis, though.

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
I just did my first attempt at big cubes multi (on 4^3, I'm not ready for 7^3 yet:D)
Result: 0/2 in 40:28 (18 minutes memo), first cube off by 3 centers and 5 edges, second cube off by 8 centers, 4 edges and 6 corners.

ThatGuy

WCA
2010GUSH01
at Berkeley yesterday I failed my first attempt of 3x3 at ~7 mins because I forgot the first pair of letters on corners. By the time I realized this I had already done 4 corners. I tried to reverse the 4 but qq it didn't work. Luckily the next attempt was success at 7:02:31. w00t second success EVER.

Parity

Tried my first 5 cube Multi I skipped 4 multi and I was of by a cube the last cube had 2 flipped edges.

Zane_C

Premium Member
WCA
2010CARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My last several 4x4 BLD attempts in general, I haven't even attempted BLD execution on any of the attempts today because of stupid errors.
3 attempts failed due to memorising edges going to the wrong spots and I gave up on 2 more attempts from taking too long orienting the cube.

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
Just thought I'd post.

4:59 DNF by 2 swapped corners and 2 swapped edges, plus 2 twisted corners.
The 2 twisted corners I basically ignored when memoing (one was going to be buffer piece, and one was DFR) and when I was about to put down the cube, I remembered vaguely seeing them, but I twisted them the wrong way.
I got my corners, and did the last two edges visually due to the buffer being solved before that, but when executing, I forgot about them as they weren't part of my story.
This caused the two swapped corners obviously.

My pb is 5:21 btw and a 7:30 is normal for me D:
Some memos just seem insanely easy and most seem very hard. I think the reason I did so well here was the corners buffer wasn't solved until the end (twisted in it's slot though) and the edge buffer was solved near the end, and did the remaining two visually. Sometimes my buffers solve 3 or 4 times in a solve, and these solves often take 8+ minutes and are generally DNFs.

This was trialling a new memo system [letter -> word -> story/stories for the edges, and letter strings plus visual for corners (fpwma would become fapewma)

D: D: D:

Last edited:

Sebastien

Premium Member
WCA
2008AURO01
I just did my first attempt at big cubes multi (on 4^3, I'm not ready for 7^3 yet:D)
Result: 0/2 in 40:28 (18 minutes memo), first cube off by 3 centers and 5 edges, second cube off by 8 centers, 4 edges and 6 corners.

22 Minutes for Execution? Anyway, nice try. I might try that as well after my exams :)

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
I'm always slow on execution (and I wasn't really trying to go fast on this attempt). And the 22 minutes include correcting some mistakes and trying to recall parts of the memo...

CuberN00b

darn it.
4,5,and 6th solve is a DNF.
at 4th solve, i finished shooting corners. but, i forgot to do the parity alg! so i choose to reverse shooting,

after shooting some corners, i forgot i do T Perm. I undo the perm, and trying to remember what i have already taken. Instead of doing the full Y perm, i only do the R U R' U' R' F R F'. :fp

6th attempt, DNF, forgot to shoot DLF Corner. Oh man. Such a DNF.

Last edited: