• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Blindfold Failures Thread

MatsBergsten

Premium Member
WCA
2008BERG04
Nope, something else.

My first 6x6BLD attempt! Not surprisingly, DNF. Off by:

time was 1:10:07.17 (pronounce one hour, ten minutes, seven seconds and seventeen hundreths)

The memo was about 40 minutes. Percentage of pieces solved: 78.29%

Wow, you are already faster than I am. I've tried 5-6 times, all dnf:s. So now we can
see who comes first :). Do the fifth solve in the weeklies, Mike and I do that. Now I
really have to concentrate on the next one :D:D

Edit: Now we can soon get Arnaud to reinstall 6x6BLD in the weeklies :)

Last edited:

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
First 4^3 BLD attempt yesterday for me, DNF in 28:15, off by 2 3-cycles of corners and 6 centers, but at least all wings were correct :) I forgot to check the memo time but it was probably in the 10-15 minutes range.

blah

brah
3x3x3 BLD: 1:29.44, 1:07.44, 1:16.09, 1:15.93, 1:27.55, DNF, 1:05.25, 1:05.81, 1:36.55, 1:26.15, 1:07.30, DNF

Average of 12: DNF :mad: :( :mad:

I fail. I just had to ****ing DNF that last one. I fail.

I have the entire average on tape if anyone's interested, including the part where I got really pissed with myself when I DNFed the last one :eek:

Cuber3

Earlier I was aiming for just doing the edges on 3x3 BLD. I forgot the rest of my story about 2/3 of the way through. I took the blindfold off and I was expecting to have 7 or 8 correct edges, but there were only two. One of these was already solved from when I scrambled. The other was probably the first one I solved. The reason I screwed up was that I started with red in front, yellow on top and somehow managed to get white on front, red on top.

I fail.

SimonWestlund

WCA
2008WEST02
YouTube
Visit Channel
3x3 BLD: DNF (2:01)

It would be PB by 5 seconds. I'm getting closer to sub 2!! :)

It was off by 3 edges, but the mistake was a lot bigger than it seems.

I didn't see a 2 cycle of edges in memo, and therefore I missed that there was parity aswell..

peterbat

WCA
2009BATT02
OK, third time I've *almost* gotten a 4x4 BLD. This time, it was a *corner execution* mistake. I wasn't paying close attention to my corner execution step, because I thought I probably screwed up my centers and edges, but they turned out to be correct (I do corners last). Nooo! Next time...

24:09 (~11 mins memo)

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
First ever attempt at 3x3 BLD:
Scramble: D' B2 L2 U2 B2 L2 D' L2 D R2 F' R' F D2 U F' L F' R' U B
Time: 30:26.78 ... 19:46.80 memo (direct visualisation) + 10:39.98 execution (old pochmann)
Result: DNF (four corners out) :(

Better luck next time I guess...

V-te

YouTube
Visit Channel
First Entire cube BLD attempt.
DNF BIG TIME!!!

I need to work on my corners.

Total Almost 1 hr 30 mins including memo. I was making sure I memorized carefully. Grrrr...!!!!!!!!

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
DNF BIG TIME!!!

Total Almost 1 hr 30 mins including memo. I was making sure I memorized carefully. Grrrr...!!!!!!!!

No worries on the DNF! My first BLD attempts were around 1.5 hours for 3x3x3 too. It is definitely worth it to stick with it. I can't even describe what your first full success is like. Picture the feeling of your personal best average of 10, but way more intense!

Also, a scrambled cube after taking off the blindfold doesn't necessarily mean that you messed up a number of times. It could also mean that you messed up something very early in the solve too.

Good luck with your BLD, and we hope your next post is in the BLD Accomplishments thread!

Chris

V-te

YouTube
Visit Channel
DNF BIG TIME!!!

No worries on the DNF! My first BLD attempts were around 1.5 hours for 3x3x3 too. It is definitely worth it to stick with it. I can't even describe what your first full success is like. Picture the feeling of your personal best average of 10, but way more intense!

Also, a scrambled cube after taking off the blindfold doesn't necessarily mean that you messed up a number of times. It could also mean that you messed up something very early in the solve too.

Good luck with your BLD, and we hope your next post is in the BLD Accomplishments thread!

Chris

Thanks Chris.
I'm assuming that I messed up my corners because all my prior BLD attempts have been edges only, and that has been the only thing I have practiced. This was also my first time trying corners+edges, and during memo, I had to constantly keep refining my pieces because I realized I didn't memorize it right. During the solve, I visualized a piece and realized I had memorized it wrong, and that probably messed up a set-up move that I was performing.

Is there an efficient way I can memo corners correctly? (aside from practice of course :p)

Mossar

WCA
2009MOSK01
I'm very unhappy about my BLD times. I turned into M2 Method and now I have worse times and worse accuracy. When I was doing BLD with Old Pochmann, I had 50% chance to solve it blindfolded. Now I do it with 1/4 chance. I don't want to return to Old Pochmann, because I feel that execution in M2 is much more faster, but I don't know where I do mistakes. Maybe too fast execution or too fast remembering.

Today I've decided to slow down and I've done BLD without problems, but it was something like 4.xx i think. After it I wanted to do BLD faster and I've done it in 3:48. Not bad for me, but I would like to do it often. After it I had 3 times DNF (about 3:30-3:50). With Old Pochmann I was doing this type of times without DNFs, now I have very big problem to do it. And I still don't have a time sub3 with M2.

I think there is always problem with one LETTER in edges. I always have corners solved (it's better part of BLD), but I always see that I have some edges unsolved. Maybe I think about 'A' letter and I remember 'B' or something like that.

Last edited:

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm very unhappy about my BLD times. I turned into M2 Method and now I have worse times and worse accuracy. When I was doing BLD with Old Pochmann, I had 50% chance to solve it blindfolded. Now I do it with 1/4 chance.

One thing that helps me with the bigger cubes BLD, and I think it might help you, is to first go for 100% accuracy. You're not really shooting for 100% accuracy, really you're shooting for maybe around 66%-75%, but the idea is to first try to be accurate. Once you achieve the accuracy you want, then start to go just slightly faster on each solve. Your accuracy will go down again at first, but it will pick back up much more quickly each time you do this. Once you are back to 66%-75% again, then try to go a little bit faster even again.

Also the following is very important to remember:
Every solve is useful practice, whether it was a success or a DNF. You are still forcing your brain to focus at near 100% of its capability, and this is good practice. The outcome of the solve does not matter as much as "working out" your brain does.

Chris

peterbat

WCA
2009BATT02
<rant>Ugh. I tried another 4x4 bld and I was off by two swapped corners. How can I keep getting my edges and centers right and then forget to close off a corner cycle I broke into? I mean, I remembered to close off all my center and edge cycles, and those are more complicated for me...</rant>

24:39 (14:08) DNF.

I have the utmost respect for people that can consistently do this successfully.
Next time... for real this time...

If only I were as fast as you guys at this! Then it would at least take me less than twenty minutes to get my DNF. :p

EDIT: If only corner and edge parity were tied together like they are on 3x3... Then I would have noticed during execution!