• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Blindfold Buddy Cube

scuba2006

I have always been one to try and do something that nobody I know does. So I thought I was clever and started doing one handed solves when I first learned the beginner's solve- turns out that's already a very common thing. Then I started putting my edge pieces in backwards and called it the scubics cube- then I hear of the superflip. Now, and I'm sure I have not pioneered this as everything seems to have been thought of, I have the buddy blindfold.

You are blindfolded and handed a scrambled cube. Then a buddy whom is preferably proficient in cubing, through verbal assistance only, must talk you through to completion.

My first attempt has been.... let's say less than fruitful. I have no friends that are real cubers and one that I taught LBL to took 8:43 to complete. He was unable to talk me through much of anything, and I DNF. I'm sure that this will not catch on, but it was fun to try, and I am curious how long it takes you, the loyal cubing community, to complete the same task.

Julian

WCA
2010DAVI06
Calm down cubefan4848. How was he supposed to look for this without knowing the key word "TeamBLD"? I for one think that it's pretty cool that you came up with this concept independently, even if it has already been thought of.

scuba2006

So is there a name for it when you scramble and solve using only F2, R2, L2, U2, D2, B2? I haven't quite figured out how to solve it yet, but there is probably some body who already named and perfected this method.

JonnyWhoopes

Premium Member
WCA
2011GRAY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's kind of a technical name, and it doesn't only refer to that subset of moves. They call it restricted moveset solving (IIRC), and your specific moveset would be denoted by a <F2,R2,L2,U2,D2,B2>. That notation implies that you are restricted to using only those sets of moves. So, if I said "Do a restricted average with <F,R,U>", you would do five (or 12, or 50, etc) solves scrambling and solving using only F, R, U and their inverses.

Bryan

Premium Member
WCA
2007LOGA01
He was unable to talk me through much of anything, and I DNF. I'm sure that this will not catch on, but it was fun to try, and I am curious how long it takes you, the loyal cubing community, to complete the same task.

I did this with my 4-year-old daughter that doesn't know how to solve and we got a time of 8:44.81. Tried the same thing with my mom as my partner and got 9:00.25. All the person needs to do is know their colors.