• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Blindfold Accomplishment Thread

Riley

WCA
2007WOOR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
29.73 3BLD PB, first sub 30. D2 L2 D2 B L2 B2 D2 L2 F D2 B' L D' L' D B' R D2 L' D' B Not on camera. :( But still very happy.

z2 y // Memo

Corners
[R U2 R', D] // 8/8
y [L, D R2 D'] y' // 8/16
L2 D L' U2 L D' L' U2 L' // 9/25

Edges
U [M2, R' B' R B] U' // 10/10
z' [U' R U, M2] z // 8/18
[M', U L' U'] // 8/26
B2 [B' R' B, M2] B2 // 10/36
y x [M2, U' L' U] // 8/44

Last edited:

Zane_C

Premium Member
WCA
2010CARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice, Ollie! sub-1 per cube deserves much respect. :D:tu

For your last cube, I like it how you combined the letters TABL into 'table'. I mean, when the letters are in front of you typed out like that, the derivation of 'table' from those letters is rather trivial. But in such a memo rush I would've thought you would be quite systematic and automatically treat TA and BL as separate pairs without even bothering to consider the possibility of combining them. So when you're memorising, do you always look at four letters at a time, then decide whether they will take the form of 2 words or 1? Do you think of your sentences as being systematic and having a common structure (besides pairing letters) - or would just 'freestyling' your sentences on the fly be an appropriate description?

Sentences for memorisation have always intrigued me a little. When I dabbled with them a tiny bit back in early 2011, I found it remarkable how people could construct such sentences so fast, without it sounding like incoherent audio.

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice, Ollie! sub-1 per cube deserves much respect. :D:tu

For your last cube, I like it how you combined the letters TABL into 'table'. I mean, when the letters are in front of you typed out like that, the derivation of 'table' from those letters is rather trivial. But in such a memo rush I would've thought you would be quite systematic and automatically treat TA and BL as separate pairs without even bothering to consider the possibility of combining them. So when you're memorising, do you always look at four letters at a time, then decide whether they will take the form of 2 words or 1? Do you think of your sentences as being systematic and having a common structure (besides pairing letters) - or would just 'freestyling' your sentences on the fly be an appropriate description?

Thank you! I'm not likely to be repeating sub-1 per cube soon, unless memo presents itself as nicely as it did earlier!

'Freestyle' sentences is a lot more accurate description. I picked up the idea from one of Dan Sheppard's 4BLD video descriptions where his memo occasionally made images out of 3/4 letters. I will generally make sentences from 2 letters at a time, but if the letters arrange themselves into something that could be a 'TABLe' or something else then I'll make a longer word (especially if two difficult letter pairs come up OR if when I pronounce the audio sounds and they happen to sound like a longer word.) However, I don't ever make letter triplets and I'll usually try to add extra details to a sentence until it gets messy. This system comes from big cube BLD where I review quite a bit to make sure I have all the details rehearsed before executing :) I have on occasions memorized an entire set of wings in one locus in ~20s by doing this.

I think Aron did this too, but I still don't understand how he could do it so quickly (PS he's deleted all his cubing videos :/ any idea why?)

I have a video now, will download it to Dailymotion (because it's not great quality) until I can replicate the solve with different scrambles :)

Last edited:

Zane_C

Premium Member
WCA
2010CARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
@Ollie: Very interesting, thanks for the insights.

(PS he's deleted all his cubing videos :/ any idea why?)
No idea, [speculation]maybe he just wanted to move on from cubing and forget it[/speculation]. I feel a hint of nostalgia reflecting back on the days of aronpm. :(

It does seem like there is a lot of high-stakes emotional stuff going on in the BLD community. Fast rises to the top, sudden disappearances or hobby changes from world-class people, and even the occasional cheater. I wonder why.
Indeed.

aronpm

(PS he's deleted all his cubing videos :/ any idea why?)

I made them private because for some dumb reason I still use 'aronpm' as a name in some places (herp derp privacy etc).

I definitely don't want to 'move on' from cubing, the community is awesome even if I don't solve any more. (I spent a couple months away from IRC but the other community I was in just isn't as cool as everyone in #rubik :) )

The videos are unlisted now (at least the good ones) so you can still watch them if you check the threads: http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/s...6329&starteronly=1&contenttype=vBForum_Thread

btw if anyone wants to add me on GW1/GW2 send me a PM :tu

Zane_C

Premium Member
WCA
2010CARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sub-60 3BLD! :D 58.34. Don't have the scramble or know how fast memo was. (I think) 5 corner targets, 9 edge targets, 2 flipped edges, so a bit lucky I suppose.
Nice! I think just about everyone's first sub-1 was got on quite an easy scramble, so being a bit lucky doesn't demean it. :)

First ever 5BLD success, 4th attempt, untimed.

Feels good man.
Congrats!

It sure does. :cool:

Micael

Premium Member
WCA
2009BOUL03
YouTube
Visit Channel
This felt lucky. MultiBLD 3/3 2:55.87[1:19]

1) D F2 D F2 D2 L2 U' L2 B2 D2 U2 F' D2 R B2 F U' B' L' B F2
2) F2 D B2 L2 B2 D2 F2 U B2 L2 U2 R' D2 U2 F U F U' B R2
3) R2 U R2 U2 L2 B2 L2 D' L2 D2 F2 L' U2 B2 U' L2 F2 L R2 B' D

1) D F2 D F2 D2 L2 U' L2 B2 D2 U2 F' D2 R B2 F U' B' L' B F2

(KE,HC,PV,AX,RN) Schoolfriend (KE) building a House (HC) on the PaVement. He has an AXe, RuN!
(KB,GC,WB) Jumping onto a KeBab covered in grease (GC) with Welcome Back written on (+2 visual corners flips, chicken flying from ULF corner to DBR corner)

2) F2 D B2 L2 B2 D2 F2 U B2 L2 U2 R' D2 U2 F U F U' B R2

(DL,KQ,MH)(BF,VS,CN) Noel Edmonds (DL -> DeaL or No Deal) is the new King/Queen of Market Harborough. A BuFf man drives by on a VeSpa and shouts "C*N*"
(JB,TH)(DO,SQ) Your JoB is to bite with your TeetH DOSQ (just memorized 4 large foam letters spelling DOSQ.)

3) R2 U R2 U2 L2 B2 L2 D' L2 D2 F2 L' U2 B2 U' L2 F2 L R2 B' D

(FV,EG,TA,BL,A) Your FaVourite EGg is on the TABLe, Ahh! (visual edge on C, whole image is taking place on the Ceiling.)
(UD,MB,W) "UDder, MoB, Waaah" (+2 visual corners, chickens in DFR and DRB corners.)

This particular memo felt ridiculously easy to remember (plus I've has a LOT of energy drink tonight, otherwise would've been around 1:30ish) and a few really nice corner cycles came up that I'd been practicing today. I have it on video but I forgot to turn the camera on before scrambling and it's dark in my room :( I'll try and fix it.

Awesome!:tu

I would be very curious to know how does your system scale up? At first glance it seems not the best for large amount, but I may be wrong. Did you have tried larger amount like 10-20 cubes?

sneze2r

WCA
2012JALO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
3BLD: 31.83, PB
I was first blindfold solve in the session... It could have been easily sub30... but it is PB anyway
R2 U' B2 U B2 D B2 F2 D' L2 F2 L' R2 D' L' B' R D2 R F' L
Reconstruction:
y
Corners
  • [D2; L' U2 L]
  • [L2, D' R D]
  • [L y';U2, R' D R]
Edges
  • L M2 U M U2 M' U M2 L'
  • [M', U R U']
  • [D; D R D', M]
  • [x; U' L' U, M2]
  • Lame filp of UF i UL which i don't wont to write :p

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Awesome!:tu

I would be very curious to know how does your system scale up? At first glance it seems not the best for large amount, but I may be wrong. Did you have tried larger amount like 10-20 cubes?

I'm still waiting on a 100% 17/17, but I'm getting close. And I can always finish before 40:00, so hopefully the first 17/17 will be sub-40. For this many and more I'll do the following:

Memo cubes 1 and 2 [review previous 2] memo cubes 3 and 4 [review previous 2] memo cubes 5 and 6 [review previous 6] and this repeats with cubes 7-16 when I'll do one final review of everything at the end. Memo is usually around 22/23 mins. I'll be trying 21 at Leicester Open 2013 :)

A Leman

5Bld PB and first Mean of 2
18:27.49, 21:49.42

on the first one, I used some visual/tapping memo during t-centers which is a first time for me. It worked very well though.