• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Blindfold Accomplishment Thread

tim

WCA
2007HABE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I solved 7 3x3 + 1 4x4 + 1 2x2 blindfolded in 44 minutes. Memorization took me about 24 minutes. Unfortunately the 4x4 was off by one 3-cycle centers. I forgot one image and wasted about 2 minutes to figure out which image i forgot. In the end i had to guess and... guessed wrong.

I almost forgot to post this: 5 cubes blindfolded in 13:24 minutes.

Last edited:

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So if I need a crazy blindfolded method, I go to Germany and talk to Stefan.
If I need to see crazy single blind, I go to Germany and talk to Kai.
If I need to see a crazy multi_blind, I go to Germany and talk to Tim.

Guess where I am going tomorrow

(and I think Dan finally got a sub-2 average on 5x5x5, but 3x3x3_bf will follow next week)

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel

For the last two points you better should go to Hungary ;).

Actually, it hadn't occurred to me until I saw your time for this show up on speedcubing.com. Your pace on these 8 cubes is not very far off of Mátyás's. In competition, his average per cube on his 15 was around 3:05 per cube; your average here was about 3:20 per cube. You're amazingly close to that Hungarian's per-cube time!

tim

WCA
2007HABE01
YouTube
Visit Channel

For the last two points you better should go to Hungary ;).

Actually, it hadn't occurred to me until I saw your time for this show up on speedcubing.com. Your pace on these 8 cubes is not very far off of Mátyás's. In competition, his average per cube on his 15 was around 3:05 per cube; your average here was about 3:20 per cube. You're amazingly close to that Hungarian's per-cube time!

There are two reasons why you can't compare these times:
1.) 15 cubes are almost twice as much to memorize as 8 cubes. And you can't memorize in linear time. If i would be able to solve 15 cubes i could never solve them in less than 1.5 hours.
2.) Mátyás's attempt was an official one. I did this attempt at home listening to my favourite music. That makes a huge difference.

So i'm far away from being close to Mátyás's times.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Average: 19:27.77

Fastest Time: 15:16.56
Slowest Time: DNF

Individual Times: 17:18.90, 20:14.55, 21:24.34, 18:06.98, (15:16.56), 24:09.57, 22:14.30, 17:08.23, 18:11.98, 18:42.34, 17:06.54, (DNF)

4x4x4 BLD average!

Well, okay, so this really doesn't count at all, since it was over a period of nearly 2 weeks (for my 3x3x3 BLD averages, I've always done them all in one sitting - I don't think they should count otherwise). But still, I can't believe I actually got 11 in a row correct!!! I was pretty disappointed with the 12th one - I was hoping for a clean average. And it happened on Ryan Heise's competition (I got 2 DNFs in a row), so I only had one solve there. I've been tempted to comment on this streak for the past week, but I resisted until I was done because I didn't want to jinx it. The streak started with my second ever attempt using r2 + commutators. It seems to be a very high accuracy method (for me, at least).

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Apparently there isn't a category for it at speedcubing.com yet, so it's hard to tell. Anyway, I'm not planning on trying to submit it, since like I say I don't think it should count unless it's all done together in a single session. And surely that would have been much harder than what I did (memorization is much harder when it's all in a row). (Not to mention it would take over 4 hours, including time to scramble, etc.)

Still, it was amazing during the streak having every single solve turn out good.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
4x4x4 BLD: 14:04.64. 7:10 memorization time. I took Chris Hardwick's advice and just focused on moving as fast as I possibly could the whole time - this was the first time I tried it. I got very lucky, I think, because it was really easy to memorize (this is one of my fastest memorization times as well), and my memory was really secure. It was a little easy, but not outrageously so - 8 centers in the right place, and 2 edges in the right place; corners were maybe a little easy (2 3-cycles CP; 5 CO). There were only 2 cycles in edge permutation, so that was pretty easy as well, and the middle slice edges were clumped together, which makes it faster with an r2/commutator mixed approach like I use. It was also nice because there was just one obvious way to orient the cube, so I didn't waste any time deciding which way to go.

But even if it was kind of easy, I'm very happy that I finally cracked the 15 minute barrier!

Edit: My second attempt at going as fast as I can: 14:46.80. Again 7:10 memorization time. (I'm consistent!) Finally I'm getting respectable times at this. Still not especially good, but at least it's now respectable. Thank you so much Chris for the suggestion!

Last edited:

tim

WCA
2007HABE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
4x4x4 BLD: 14:04.64. 7:10 memorization time. I took Chris Hardwick's advice and just focused on moving as fast as I possibly could the whole time - this was the first time I tried it. I got very lucky, I think, because it was really easy to memorize (this is one of my fastest memorization times as well), and my memory was really secure. It was a little easy, but not outrageously so - 8 centers in the right place, and 2 edges in the right place; corners were maybe a little easy (2 3-cycles CP; 5 CO). There were only 2 cycles in edge permutation, so that was pretty easy as well, and the middle slice edges were clumped together, which makes it faster with an r2/commutator mixed approach like I use. It was also nice because there was just one obvious way to orient the cube, so I didn't waste any time deciding which way to go.

But even if it was kind of easy, I'm very happy that I finally cracked the 15 minute barrier!

Edit: My second attempt at going as fast as I can: 14:46.80. Again 7:10 memorization time. (I'm consistent!) Finally I'm getting respectable times at this. Still not especially good, but at least it's now respectable. Thank you so much Chris for the suggestion!

very nice, mike :). I also got a new PB yesterday: 8:32 minutes (about 3:30 minutes memorization). I had several sub-9 DNFs before that, but was very unlucky every time.

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That's great Joey. I really think you and Kai are going to join the top 5 next year.

In 2007 the record for 3x3x3 dropped 34 seconds (-38%), 4x4x4 dropped 2:38 (-33%), 5x5x5 dropped 16:14 (-62%) and multi-blind increased by 10 (+200%). I don't think we will see those kind of improvements ever again.

But 2008 might be the year that blindfolded (3x3x3, bigcubes and multi-blind) become very popular?