• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Blindfold Accomplishment Thread

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
2:33.45 BLD. My previous best was over 2:50. Memorization was 1:07, which is pretty good for me, but not extremely unusual. I just thought hard about trying to keep thinking ahead and moving, and all of a sudden this happened! I've been stuck at just under 3 minutes for a long time, so this is really nice - I hope I get more like this.

I must admit it was a fairly easy scramble. Unfortunately, I don't know the scramble, since I just randomly scrambled it. (I wasn't expecting such a good time.) But it wasn't officially lucky - 4 CO, 10 EO, 5 CP, 10 EP.

jeff081692

WCA
2012JAME03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I did my first attempt of a 2x2x2 BLD earlier today and actually did it. I wasn't really interested in BLD but yesterday I watched a guide on youtube and today I tried it for fun. Its not a big accomplishment for some people but it is for me.

TheBB

WCA
2004FONN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was on my way to bed about an hour ago, but figured I'd try multi BLD, for the first time ever, before I went. I managed 2/4. Exhaustion really got the better of me near the end (I DNFed the last two). I should try this when I'm more awake next time.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just did my first 4x4 BLD. 18:45.92. It was probably 10 seconds faster, but my screensaver locked me out of my computer. I had to log back in and then stop the timer...

Congratulations, Dan!!! You didn't quite beat my best time (17:05.05). But you probably will with your second solve, just like everyone else. :) Very awesome first successful time!

Kristoffer

YouTube
Visit Channel
Started solving 2x2 blindfolded today and my currently best 47 secs (lucky), avg. around 1min 30 secs..:) hopefully this will give me good advantage when I will start on 3x3 blindfold.

edd5190

WCA
2007ADSU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
1:39.13 BLD. Yay! If I remember correctly there were 7 misoriented corners, 8 misoriented edges, 5 misplaced corners, and 10 misplaced edges. Rather easy... Sub-100! :D Next goals are sub-95 then sub-90, then sub-60 XD

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I solved a 3x3x3 BLD this morning using M2 for edges and commutators for corners like Chris Hardwick described. I also used 1-syllable words to memorize it all, making them up on the fly. (That was a mistake - it's too many and too long for auditory memory - but I didn't have a better way to memorize M2, so that's what I used. I'll try it again with Roman Room for the edges and still 1-syllable words for the corners and see how much better that goes.) Anyway, it was 10:40 (memorization was 4:30), but at least it was solved. I had a DNF right after that with just 3 corners cycled the wrong direction that was 8:30 and had parity, so I could get a lot faster with it.

I also solved a 4x4x4 BLD last night in 18:06.98 using r2 for edges with commutators to solve the middle slice edges (as Daniel Beyer suggested for an interesting possibility). Since my best ever 4x4x4 BLD time is 17:05, that's actually pretty fast for me. I had quite a few moments of indecision as to how to proceed in that solve, so it seems like it could get a lot faster that way.

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Average: 2:12.43
Individual Times: 2:10.23, 2:06.18, 2:33.94, 2:03.35, 2:18.40, 1:44.11, 2:03.14, (DNF), (1:39.98), 2:03.07, 1:50.81, 3:11.07

So close to a BLD avg. First attempt. The last one I kinda gave up on, but wanted to make sure I got it. 99.98 is almost the closest time under 100 and a new PB!

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
What do you mean: "So close to a BLD avg."? This was a BLD avg. You do 12 solves because you have to cancel the best and worse!

You are starting to become pretty good all-round masterofthebass. Getting sub-2 blindfolded is pretty hard. Doing it while still accurate is really hard!

I agree, if you keep improving like this, you might even become the next Mátyás. Arnaud, did you see his latest 4x4x4 BLD? If it were official, it would put him 3rd in the world, despite the fact that he only did his first 4x4x4 BLD a couple of weeks ago! And his 3x3x3 BLD average puts him in the top 10 on the unofficial list.

As for my accomplishments, I beat my best ever 4x4x4 BLD time last night - 15:16.56, almost 2 minutes better than my previous best (but still 5 minutes slower than Dan). I did it with r2 and commutators for the middle slice edges - it really can work well!

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My BLD philosophy is this. I shoot for really good times right off the bat, and hope for good times. I did this for the 3x3. My first successful solve was sub 3:30 (I think). For the 4x4, my first real attempt was around 28, and I thought, wow... this feels way too slow. I just practiced speed until I was able to do it at that speed. I think that execution is my strongpoint for BLD. My 3x3 times are around a minute (not too great, but good enough). And my 4x4 is around 5 min. My memo system allows for almost no pauses. It takes longer to memorize for the longer sequences, but if I can remember all the color pairs, I can execute edges fairly fast.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
My BLD philosophy is this. I shoot for really good times right off the bat, and hope for good times. I did this for the 3x3. My first successful solve was sub 3:30 (I think).

That's just ... astonishing. I still think Tyson Mao's 6 minute first successful 3x3x3 BLD was unbelievable. I'm still happy with a 3:30 time, after 9 months of working on BLD. Maybe I just need to get less satisfied with my times.

joey

WCA
2007GOUL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Mike, I know you can go faster than that. You can memo a cube in 40s, you just have to believe you can. I did, and now I can.

[size=-10]this post sounds a little wierd, but im just saying go for it!!![/size]