• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Blindfold Accomplishment Thread

jdh3000

After a few days of getting back into BLD on 3x3, I finally managed to do a solve without first writing down the letter notation.

I think it helped by finally adopting the letter pair system rather than just memorizing a mnemonic sentence of words representing each piece strung together.

I've made a few successful bld solves before, but this is much easier. I've yet to do a successful solve with parity.

I'm hoping this will take some of the tedium out of it, not having to do as much prep work.
I'm working on memorizing a whole list of letter pairs so I won't have to think so much.

jdh3000

I'm getting better at memorizing my notation on the fly; letter pairs are coming to me easier. I do about one solve per night. I'm only messing up about half the time as apposed to most of the time like before.

I'm actually noticing mistakes I've made and backtrack to undo them and it's working.

My goal is of course to make no mistakes, to spend as little time possible for memo, then execute the solution everytime.

Once was a time when I picked up the cube I didn't have much hope of solving it, but with time and practice I got to where it was not only easy to do, but at speeds I never thought possible in the beginning.

I see BLD being that way. I'm already feeling that confidence. I actually jumped out of my seat and yelled the first time I solved blindfolded, and now I look at it not as supprised. i want to be confident that I did everything right each time. I believe I can do it,

jronge94

WCA
2014RONG01
Edge only scrambles
practicing to 1-pass audio edge
solves/total: 100/341

single
best: 17.89
worst: 44.58

mean of 3
current: DNF (σ = 13.64)
best: 26.37 (σ = 4.20)

avg of 5
current: DNF (σ = 13.64)
best: 31.25 (σ = 1.86)

Memo times:

single
best: 5.49
worst: 15.62

mean of 3
current: DNF (σ = 4.34)
best: 8.14 (σ = 2.57)

avg of 5
current: DNF (σ = 5.31)
best: 8.36 (σ = 1.73)

Ow Gosh, this is a good day

Broken Pb single for third time:

49.67=27.07+22.60 F' L2 U2 B2 R2 F' D2 B2 U2 L2 F' L D B R' U' B F2 R F' Rw Uw2 @2021-04-06 17:21:04

and Pb Ao3:

50. 54.38=27.14+27.24 B' F2 L2 D2 B2 U R2 B2 U R2 U F L' R' U' L' F2 U2 L F2 Uw2
51. 57.96=30.18+27.78 R2 B2 D' F2 D R2 D F2 U2 B2 L2 D' F R' F' L' F2 U L F L2 Fw'
52. 49.67=27.07+22.60 F' L2 U2 B2 R2 F' D2 B2 U2 L2 F' L D B R' U' B F2 R F' Rw Uw2

jdh3000

I just buzzed through a bld with a quick memo and pretty fast turns with minimal pausing, albeit a solve without parity, but I doubt at this point it would've slowed me down much.

After a week of solving at least one bld per night, it's finally starting to become fluid. I'm not ready to time myself just yet.

My biggest problem lately has been opening my eyes to se 2 pieces inseted in the right spot, just flipped wrong, which is just a mistake of pointing a to the wrong side during memo.

I'm doing better at this than I ever imagined I could. If I can get my letter pairs down bettrr, and get some better ones.

Right now I'm using letter pairs for edges and just a mnemonic sentence for corners, I memo edges first, then corners, solve corners, then edges and that has worked well. Less confusion that using letter pairs on both. It's working for me.

Now the goal is to keep better track of named pieces without touching them as much. When I get a side finished, I let go of it and only focus on the others it helps, but needs improvement.

jdh3000

I just did the first BLD memorizing all the pieces WITHOUT holding my fingers on the pieces to keep track of them.

I hope I can keep that up. It makes it so much easier and faster.

I think if I can just start recognizing pieces by their flipped side, I'll keep in mind whether I've done tgat one already. For example if I have Q in my memo and I look at A, I will instantly know that without thinking about the other side.

I'm almost there!