• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Blindfold Accomplishment Thread

KingCanyon

WCA
2015KIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Audio edges are hard for me too - I have just started using them instead of using images for both corners and edges. Here are some things that make them usable for me:

1. Use a rhythm for the edge sounds - I got this idea from Noah Arthurs's tips. It helps if you are familiar with different poetic feet, i.e. iamb, trochee, dactyl. Using feet that fit the syllables makes them much easier to remember. If I know that a particular memo is dactylic or trochaic, for example, it makes it easier to recall the later syllables.
2. Use distinct sounds for the different letters. I use "ch" for C so that it doesn't sound like K or S, for example. I still get mixed up between V and B though.
3. Don't review corner memo after edges - go right into the solve. I review corner memo once right after doing it, then memo audio edges, then do the solve without reviewing corners. Audio edges are designed for speed, not accuracy. WCA regs take the best of 3 times, so top cubers use methods like audio edges that are fast but inaccurate - you can have a DNF 2/3 of the time and it doesn't matter for your competition results. Graham Siggins mentions this in his 3BLD walkthrough. So, sometimes you will forget corners or mess up edges when using audio edges. If you want 100% accuracy, use MBLD memo techniques.
4. Audio edges need fast memo, so you can't really use them until you are very familiar with your lettering scheme. Having to pause during the memo to find pieces or think about lettering will make you forget the audio memo. You need to be able to deal with cycle breaks and other memo problems seamlessly. If you're still working through memo basics, stick to images for edges and corners.

As for my method, I use intuitive 3 style. It's super easy to learn. I am going to make a guide for learning intuitive 3 style, since there aren't really any resources available. You can start by learning the different insertions that go with a particular interchange layer: you need 4 edge insertions and 4 corner insertions for each interchange. If you start with only one interchange, you will be able to solve all cases with 1- or 2-move conjugates.

This is my first blind method - I never learned other methods because I prefer intuitive solving to algorithms.
Wow thanks! I think this is really going to help me in the future.

dudefaceguy

Wow thanks! I think this is really going to help me in the future.
Great, I'm glad you found it useful. I just experimented with using images for edges and audio for corners, then executing corners first and edges last. This makes the audio memo a lot easier, since I have to store less information in audio, and the larger chunk of information is stored with images. I had a success my first time doing it, and it was a lot easier than audio edges.

It should also make parity easier, since I can just use weak swap when memorizing edges, then do a parity corner swap during corner memo, which will save a conjugate. I will just be able to execute my parity alg at the end of the solve, since all 4 pieces will be in the correct place already.

Come to think of it, I could use weak swap on corners if I memorized corners first too - I will try that as well. But if I did this in MBLD, I would have to memorize parity separately - currently I just know that I have odd parity if there is a single corner target at the end. Noah says that he uses an image of blood to indicate parity - maybe I will try that.

Edit: Yup, this works for parity and eliminates the conjugate. I will try this as my main method for a while and see how I do. I think it will work well, with the added benefit that I will memo in the same order for 3BLD and MBLD - the execution will just be swapped.

Last edited:

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Great, I'm glad you found it useful. I just experimented with using images for edges and audio for corners, then executing corners first and edges last. This makes the audio memo a lot easier, since I have to store less information in audio, and the larger chunk of information is stored with images. I had a success my first time doing it, and it was a lot easier than audio edges.
FYI, I think the reason most people do audio for edges rather than corners is literally because it's a larger chunk of information. Audio doesn't stick as well, but memorizing edges with images rather than corners will waste more effort reviewing. This is hard to explain but what I'm trying to say is that if audio works, it's better. If it's too much to memorize with audio, images work better. Audio works for edges so it's generally better. On the other hand, because of the way you do parity, it might be better to do what you described. I (and most traditional 3-style solvers) know all the parity algs for UF-UR + UFR-XYZ so I can do one alg with no setups regardless of the last corner target. Since that's not the case for you, it could be better to do corner audio. I'm glad you're having a good time exploring 3BLD regardless!

dudefaceguy

if audio works, it's better. If it's too much to memorize with audio, images work better.
This is a great way to put it. I'm still too slow for audio edges to work reliably, so audio corners is a good intermediate step for me.

I am indeed having a lot of fun exploring 3 style and finding techniques that work for me. I've gotten several sub-4-minute solves (which is good for me) with this new technique, so it's definitely helping to improve both memo and execution. Most importantly, it's a lot of fun.

Edit: Sub-4-minute average of 5, including a new PB of 3:18.205 (with parity), basically tying my prior PB which used audio edges. My accuracy is also way better - that prior PB was a fluke during a memo-pushing session where almost all of my solves were failures. Audio corners, weak swap, and swapping corners really work well for me. I'm very happy being at 4 minutes.

Last edited:

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Im a new blind solver and have only gotten into the event in the last few weeks due to quarantine and I've just had this thought I want to share. I am currently studying french at school and I was wondering if doing memo in 2 languages would have some sort of benefit? I dont have that great of a grasp on bld since I only have 3 successes at the moment so if this sounds dumb that's because it is. I think it could be used for big blind and Mbld for doing different rooms and such.

brododragon

Im a new blind solver and have only gotten into the event in the last few weeks due to quarantine and I've just had this thought I want to share. I am currently studying french at school and I was wondering if doing memo in 2 languages would have some sort of benefit? I dont have that great of a grasp on bld since I only have 3 successes at the moment so if this sounds dumb that's because it is. I think it could be used for big blind and Mbld for doing different rooms and such.
It's time to bring out 60 different languages for a 60 cube attempt.

Jacck

WCA
2013HUBH01
I don't know if you could use a room twice with different languages. I tried to use an outside route once in summer and once in winter, but that worked not good - better create another route.
Where I could see an advantage is when you have the same letterpair on different cubes (or sets in bigblind) and get a similar story you could mess up, but why not take for SW starwars and the other time southwest?
In my letterpair-system (I did it myself) I use different languages, because there are not many words in German with "C" or I took that what I thought first: CP=cap, FC=face, HC="haute couture", RF="République française". Another advantage that I see here: you have another "thing" your brain can work with and separate it from other similar expressions, like: if you have CP=cap and HT=hat you probably remember the other one because they are similar. But if you take the german word for hat, which ist "Hut", it should be easier to recall (this is just an example, of course you could take the english hut, too :D But if you still have HS=house, CT=cottage and BR=barrack Hut would be better than hut :D:D).

dudefaceguy

New PB of 2:57.18 - my first sub-3-minute blind solve. I used audio corners. I am finally able to do some think-ahead, recalling and visualizing the next pair while performing a commutator. My memo has also gotten much faster as I have figured out good images for some hard or confusing cases (NI is Nile, NL is noodle, ND is Ned).

I also did some "safety" solves this morning with a goal of 100% accuracy using audio corners. These were about 6 minutes long, which is okay with me, as it's about 50% longer than my times when I'm pushing memo and execution.

dudefaceguy

I don't know why I didn't realize this before, but I can solve odd parity with a pair commutator. If I swap 4 pieces during the solve, making 2 adjacent pairs, doing a D or D' solves one of the pairs and leaves 3 pairs unsolved, leading to a pair commutator. This is much easier to execute on the D face than my prior solution.

For example, here is a U-X-W corner commutator, but with wide U moves for the insertions and an extra D move at the end which fixes parity:

R' L' Uw2 L D L' Uw2 L D' R D

And an alternative commutator, doing the parity conversion as the first move:

D' R' D L' Uw2 L D' L' Uw2 L R

It's the same number of moves as my other parity solution, but I like this one better because it's a single commutator and it's easier to execute on the D face without rotations.

L

lucarubik

1. 26.51 U' B' F2 L F2 R2 F2 U2 R' B2 F2 U2 L2 U' F' U2 F2 L U' R' Fw Uw2
lets gooo i started the session pushing it after a week of rest. got another sub30 dnf and after that i started observing myself rather than trying to push it.
this was the very first after deciding to speed it back up, a sweet sweet 3+6
too bad i wasn't recording :(
the best part is that this is only slighly easier than average im still hyped

Last edited by a moderator:
WCA
2019HENK01
PB and first sub-1, still with OP/OP cuz I'm so lazy.

Generated By csTimer on 2020-04-24
single: 55.28

Time List:
1. 55.28 R B2 U' B2 F2 D' B2 D U2 B2 L2 B' D' R U2 B U2 R' U B' Rw2 Uw2 @2020-04-24 22:04:50

splits are roughly 21/34

And I got it on cam!!!
sorry for the weird reaction lol

Scramble/Setup:
R B2 U' B2 F2 D' B2 D U2 B2 L2 B' D' R U2 B U2 R' U B' Rw2 Uw2
y' z2

y' // my Orientation

Memo:
die SuPpe TuD Chris QU
DOLK NAIG WJL

Execution:
R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F' // D (14)
D' M' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' M D// O (18/32)
L' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F' L // L (16/48)
M' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' M // K (16/64)
E L R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F' L' E' // N (18/82)
U' R' U L' U2 R U' R' U2 L R // A (11/93)
M' U' R' U L' U2 R U' R' U2 L R M // I (13/106)
L' E' L R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F' L' E L // G (20/126)
D L2 R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F' L2 D' // W (18/144)
E2' L R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F' L' E2' // J (18/162)
L' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F' L // L (16/178)
// Edges

R U' R' U' R U R D R' U' R D' R' U2 R' U' // Parity (16/194)

D' R2 U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F D // S (16/210)
R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R // P (15/225)
D' R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R D // T (17/242)
U2 R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U // D (15/257)
F R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R F' // C (17/274)
R' F R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R F' R // Q (19/293)
F' R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R F // U (17/310)
// Corners

310/~34s = ~9.1 TPS woaj

recon on alg.cubing.net: https://bit.ly/2Y27kkk

PB and first sub-1, still with OP/OP cuz I'm so lazy.

Generated By csTimer on 2020-04-24
single: 55.28

Time List:
1. 55.28 R B2 U' B2 F2 D' B2 D U2 B2 L2 B' D' R U2 B U2 R' U B' Rw2 Uw2 @2020-04-24 22:04:50

splits are roughly 21/34

And I got it on cam!!!
sorry for the weird reaction lol

Scramble/Setup:
R B2 U' B2 F2 D' B2 D U2 B2 L2 B' D' R U2 B U2 R' U B' Rw2 Uw2
y' z2

y' // my Orientation

Memo:
die SuPpe TuD Chris QU
DOLK NAIG WJL

Execution:
R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F' // D (14)
D' M' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' M D// O (18/32)
L' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F' L // L (16/48)
M' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' M // K (16/64)
E L R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F' L' E' // N (18/82)
U' R' U L' U2 R U' R' U2 L R // A (11/93)
M' U' R' U L' U2 R U' R' U2 L R M // I (13/106)
L' E' L R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F' L' E L // G (20/126)
D L2 R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F' L2 D' // W (18/144)
E2' L R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F' L' E2' // J (18/162)
L' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F' L // L (16/178)
// Edges

R U' R' U' R U R D R' U' R D' R' U2 R' U' // Parity (16/194)

D' R2 U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F D // S (16/210)
R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R // P (15/225)
D' R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R D // T (17/242)
U2 R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U // D (15/257)
F R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R F' // C (17/274)
R' F R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R F' R // Q (19/293)
F' R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R F // U (17/310)
// Corners

310/~34s = ~9.1 TPS woaj

recon on alg.cubing.net: https://bit.ly/2Y27kkk
Woh nice! Now you should probably learn M2.

L

lucarubik

1. 25.60 F2 R' B' R' F L2 U' L B D2 L2 F2 R2 B L2 B' R2 F2 U2 D2 R Rw2 Uw2
3+5
it was actually a +2 (this is a wink to my latest post, altough its true) and im only closing my eyes cause i don't know where i put my watchamacallit, also massive lockups on the edges, overall a pretty forced upload but my credit card was showing on my last one and that made me feel a tad unconfortable so.. i'd like to leave only my first sub25 on yt and substitute my bests till

WCA
2019HENK01
I started using M2 today and I decided to do some solves to improve focus and memo speed for 4BLD and then I got this:

Generated By csTimer on 2020-04-30
single: 54.43

Time List:
1. 54.43 F B R F D F2 L' F D2 R' D2 R U2 L D2 L' F2 R' L2 Rw' Uw2 @2020-04-30 16:37:25
splits: ~23/~31

literally the first solve of the session lol

brododragon

I started using M2 today and I decided to do some solves to improve focus and memo speed for 4BLD and then I got this:

Generated By csTimer on 2020-04-30
single: 54.43

Time List:
1. 54.43 F B R F D F2 L' F D2 R' D2 R U2 L D2 L' F2 R' L2 Rw' Uw2 @2020-04-30 16:37:25
splits: ~23/~31

literally the first solve of the session lol
1:31 "E wa?" Lol

L

lucarubik

Media de 3: 34.23

Lista de tiempos:
1. 35.58 F L' B2 U B2 U' F2 U2 B R2 L' D2 B2 R' U2 B2 L B2 Rw' Uw'
2. 32.65 L2 D' L2 F2 U2 L D2 R F2 L' F2 R' F2 D L R F' D L R Fw' Uw2
3. 34.46 U' B2 D2 R2 B2 R2 F L2 D2 F' L2 D2 F' L' F2 R U B D B R Fw' Uw'

i've reached a whole new level the past few days, the first of today was a 28 and i've only done 8, my success rate has trippled and my SD has halved
im finally as good as i've ever been at bld, after 8 years