• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Blindfold Accomplishment Thread

tim

WCA
2007HABE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
...and multi-blind increased by 10 (+200%). I don't think we will see those kind of improvements ever again.

It's not very unlikely, that the record will increase by another 200%. There are a few people on this planet who can do 30 or more cubes.

So I am now learning an image system, so I can do multi-bld!

You improved a lot over the last few weeks, i feel like holding you off from learning an image system ;).

Last edited:

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just broke my personal best 3x3x3 BLD time for a non-lucky solve, 1:14.71! I was using my new hybrid memorization method using letter pair images for edges and letter pair 1 syllable words for corners. I think with more training, and on a nice solve, that sub-60 might be possible for me! I never thought I would ever say that! :-D

Chris

tim

WCA
2007HABE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
- 16 cubes blindfolded in 1:10h, 40 minutes memo.
Awesome.What is your accuracy?Can you pull out one such performance in a competition?
Just in case tim missed this, I believe it was his second attempt at 16 cubes. The first was 15/16 If I remember correctly.

Yep, joey is right, 15/16 was my first attempt. And my accuracy is bad, i get only 4 out of 10 multi bld attempts right.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was getting quite embarrassed about the fact that I'm the only person to ever solve a big cube BLD in competition without having ever managed a 3x3x3 average (sighted) in less than 30 seconds. So I have been working on it to try to get a little better. I finally learned all the OLLs. I know I seem slow to be worrying about that, but I think it has really helped me. I'm still over 30 seconds average, but I'm having a lot more sub-30 solves, and I think it's just a matter of a few more weeks before I start to average sub-30. I haven't been practicing BLD so much lately because I've been working on the 3x3x3. Very strange for me. :)

8:11 4x4 bld
and solved
12 cubes blindfolded in 35 minutes (19 minutes memorization). I'm quite happy about the time :).

You're just amazing.

tim

WCA
2007HABE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was getting quite embarrassed about the fact that I'm the only person to ever solve a big cube BLD in competition without having ever managed a 3x3x3 average (sighted) in less than 30 seconds. So I have been working on it to try to get a little better. I finally learned all the OLLs. I know I seem slow to be worrying about that, but I think it has really helped me. I'm still over 30 seconds average, but I'm having a lot more sub-30 solves, and I think it's just a matter of a few more weeks before I start to average sub-30. I haven't been practicing BLD so much lately because I've been working on the 3x3x3. Very strange for me. :)

mhh, i think you shouldn't care too much about learning full OLL. Speedcubing is all about going slow and looking ahead. I think you should practice your F2L first. You lose only 1-2s with 3LLL. (I'm sub-20 with 3LLL :))

Lotsofsloths

WCA
2007SAHA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Speedcubing is all about going slow and looking ahead
Lol, just made me laugh for a bit.

anyway, Mike, how did you learn all your OLLs?!
Thats crazy, I'm not that much of a person for algorithms, only PLL's and some 3 look last layer OLL's(ones with edges oriented).
Algorithms take me a LONG time to get used to, but in the end they are fast.(except G Perms).

Well congratz and help :)

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
mhh, i think you shouldn't care too much about learning full OLL. Speedcubing is all about going slow and looking ahead. I think you should practice your F2L first. You lose only 1-2s with 3LLL. (I'm sub-20 with 3LLL :))

I know that you're right. But I had tried a good bit working on my F2L, and I just couldn't seem to make progress on it. And going for the OLLs was something I was able to do in a straightforward manner. And I found that by watching the cubies as they go through the OLLs, I actually learned some tricks that I can use for the F2L. And also, when I was learning the OLLs, I'd start by learning the first 6 or 7 moves, and then figuring out the last ones, and that seemed to help my "cube vision". I'm still over 30 seconds average, but I can tell I'm close to a big breakthrough - it's just a matter of practice now. Oh, and now that I've learned the OLLs, I can't use that as an excuse to put off working on my F2L. :)

Lotsofsloths, I learned the OLLs using Kenneth's suggestion (although I had been doing it before he made the suggestion). I printed them all out, and then started doing solves. Whenever I got to an OLL I didn't know, I would look at the sheet and execute it. And after I solved the cube, I would then execute that OLL again on the solved cube as many times as were necessary to get it back to solved again. (Most are 3 or 4 cycles; some are a lot, though, so I probably know those better.)

One other reason why I learned all of the OLLs is so that I can use them for fewest moves. I know that a good fewest moves solution almost never needs them, but I have enough bad fewest moves solutions that knowing the OLLs can really help. Hopefully I'm starting to get good enough that I won't need them anymore, but it's nice to have them just in case.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yea, unfortunately Mr Hughey, progress from where you are is very slow, and will only get better with a lot of practise. Basically, the time it takes to execute algorithms is going to get you down to 23-24 seconds, then the rest is lookahead.