• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Blindfold Accomplishment Thread

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't see one stickied already, so why not :) Post any blindfold or multi-blindfold accomplishments here that you want, especially if you want to keep them separate from the normal speed accomplishments. Please post hundredths if you have them, I'm making a multiple blindfold record list, and I'm interested in getting as many decimal places as you have :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack

WCA
2007MOSE02
Finally finding a memory system I am good at (letters for EP, visual for the rest) in BLD, on my first try I got 3:18.77 (previous record was 4:37)! Also sub 30 average in OH, sub 18 in 3x3x3. I also just got my first sub 1 min. solve on the 4x4x4, which I am really happy about. Also a pretty fast speed BLD solve. Also a sub 30 fewest moves. Yes, I have made a lot of accomplishments recently! :)

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I know my time will be destroyed in short order
will probably contradict
once the Olympicubes come out
. The Olympic cubes have been "almost" on the market for years now. Some people think they will never be available.

I am really glad you got it so soon. I saw your first attempt in the lobby of the Novotel and was pleasantly surprised by your happy reaction when you got it "almost". If I would have been so close after all that time I would have probably been either mad or sad about not getting it.

Hubdra

I just completed my first BLD solve ever, 3:46.41 on a 2x2 :D I can't wait to work my way up to 3x3 lol

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
My first time going under 20 minutes on a 4x4x4 BLD solve. For this week's competition. (19:50.70 - I just barely made it.) For a long time this seemed like an impossible barrier to break, so it's nice to finally break it. Next I have to go for sub-15 minutes. (That's going to be LOTS harder.) I did both 4x4x4 BLD solves back to back (and got them both :)), only taking enough time to perform the second scramble in between. It's interesting - I find it much easier to do the second one when I do two in a row. Any problems with confusion of memory are more than overcome by the fact that figuring out where the pieces are supposed to go is still fresh in my mind, and therefore easier.

I realize that this still means that Chris will beat me by at least a factor of 3 (and if Mátyás competes, he might even beat me by a factor of 4!), but hey, it's good for me. :D

Last edited:

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Congrats Mike, that is amazing! I think that if you are in the factor 3-to-4 range of Mátiás and can do 100% success rate in a competition you are among the worlds best!

Oops - it looks like I spoke too soon. Mátyás easily exceeded 4 times my speed (on the exact same scramble), and it looks quite possible he could beat me by a factor of 5 on a lucky scramble now. :)

But thanks - it did feel really good to do it.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey Mike,

Congrats on sub-20 for 4x4 BLD! I remember that being a very big barrier to break for me as well. From what I remember though it's not too hard after the first sub-20, with some practice, to get consistently sub-20 for 4x4 BLD. Also sub-15 is not as far away as you might think. Just improve your memo by 2:30 and your solving by 2:30. I know that may sound like a lot right at first, but it's not like improving a speed solve solution by 5 minutes. Just improve each stage (memo and execution) by half the amount you want to improve overall. Makes it easier to think about that way.

Seriously though congratulations! That is a big milestone to pass!

Chris

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Congrats Mike, that is amazing! I think that if you are in the factor 3-to-4 range of Mátiás and can do 100% success rate in a competition you are among the worlds best!

Arnaud by your criteria only Matyas can be counted among the world's best. Although that is obvious it is still discouraging for everyone else practicing big cube BLD ;-)

Seriously though I still don't think people realize exactly how much faster Matyas is at BLD than everyone else. The best comparison I can make is someone winning the world competition main event by an average of 6.23 seconds.

Although it is easy for Matyas, for us regular humans I think a 100% success rate on the bigger cubes is exceedingly difficult, much more so than the 3x3x3. That is just my opinion of course. Right now, simply solving a 4x4x4 BLD successfully in competition puts you in the top 10 all time. Food for thought.

Chris

joey

WCA
2007GOUL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Seriously though I still don't think people realize exactly how much faster Matyas is at BLD than everyone else.
I certainly do. Sub-40 for 3x3 BLD. That is fast, very fast. Other people hope for that for memo.

Although it is easy for Matyas, for us regular humans I think a 100% success rate on the bigger cubes is exceedingly difficult, much more so than the 3x3x3.
Remember, unfortuneatly Matyas did DNF a 5x5 BLD at WC 07.

Food for thought.
I am hungry!

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think that if you are in the factor 3-to-4 range of Mátiás and can do 100% success rate in a competition you are among the worlds best!
Arnaud by your criteria only Matyas can be counted among the world's best.
I only said that if you fit those criteria, I consider someone to be among the best of the world. I never said that you couldn't be among the best of the world if you don't fit those criteria. Let me give some other criteria:
If you can solve > 10 cubes on multiple blind (13 out of 14): You are among the best.
If you can solve a > 5x5x5 (6x6x6): You are among the best.
If you can do an average of 12 (only 1 or no DNF): You are among the best.
Any other criteria?

Although it is easy for Matyas, for us regular humans I think a 100% success rate on the bigger cubes is exceedingly difficult, much more so than the 3x3x3
Well, than Mátyás is a regular human because he has a 100% on 3x3x3, but not on 5x5x5.

Last edited by a moderator:

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I only said that if you fit those criteria, I consider someone to be among the best of the world. I never said that you couldn't be among the best of the world if you don't fit those criteria.

Hi Arnaud, if I came across as upset or anything that wasn't my intent, I just thought it was funny that your original criteria only included Matyas ;-) It does seem though, at least officially, that at least one successful solve for either 4x4 or 5x5 BLD puts you in the World's best. This may change as big cube BLD becomes more popular, but at least for official competitions the standard is for success right now rather than time or accuracy rate.

Also though if you look at István Kocza and count his more recent 4x4x4 BLD solves you can count him as well since he currently has a 100% success rate for 4x4 BLD.

Well, than Mátyás is a regular human because he has a 100% on 3x3x3, but not on 5x5x5.

But he does have a 100% success rate on 4x4x4 BLD which I think is incredible. Also Bernett Orlando and Yumu Tabuchi each have a 100% success rate on the big cubes but they have only officially done 1 attempt.

Either way I still think 100% success rate is incredible on the bigger cubes, even if it's not the 5x5x5.

Chris