• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Bld visualization?

Iamdrewbrees

So right now I use sentence memo for corners, and audio edges for 3bld. I don't really see that changing, it works great

But for bigBLD/multi it's hard with sentences. I know I should be using images, but for the same reason I didn't start with them on 3 bld, when I close my eyes and really try to picture something, I see the grainy inside of my eyelids. I am completely unable to see pictures inside of my head.

Is there a way to train yourself to actually visualize something, and is this a common problem? Or are you just supposed to think about it happening and not actually see it. I what do you see in your head if you're into bigBLD or multi?

obelisk477

WCA
2009BATT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So right now I use sentence memo for corners, and audio edges for 3bld. I don't really see that changing, it works great

But for bigBLD/multi it's hard with sentences. I know I should be using images, but for the same reason I didn't start with them on 3 bld, when I close my eyes and really try to picture something, I see the grainy inside of my eyelids. I am completely unable to see pictures inside of my head.

Is there a way to train yourself to actually visualize something, and is this a common problem? Or are you just supposed to think about it happening and not actually see it. I what do you see in your head if you're into bigBLD or multi?

Can you picture a room in your head? That's a common way people do images, is by placing them in a familiar room or path, in their head.

If you can't do something like that, you're most likely not going to be able to do bigBLD or multi. I'm pretty sure no one uses audio or sentences for those.

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
I'm the same. I am literally incapable of mentally visualising things. It's also something that's been worrying me about going further in BLD. I'm still pretty much a beginner in BLD. I use pure audio for straight BLD (average a slow 3-4 minutes) and sentences for MBLD (most I've tried is 5 cubes).

Sentences are fine as long as you're building the association between parts of your memo, I think. From what I understand, the key benefit to using images is not that it helps you remember, but that it gives order and context to what you're trying to remember, which means that each party of the memo follows on from the previous part. Sentences are just as capable the same, just slightly slower, I guess because subvocalising a sentence takes longer than imagining a scene.

I'm pretty sure I've heard of someone who uses or used to use pure audio for MBLD and big BLD... (I think it might have been Callum Hales-Jepp?)

L

lucarubik

so when you guys remmeber stuff what does exactly come to your heads, the sound it makes? the sound its word makes? its texture? smells?
that sounds hella troll lol
i've always wondered if its harder for a blind person to remember, since he lacks on images, whenever i think about anything even something not physical like a song i think of a more or less vague image of it, or the singer singing it, or me singing it in my room or wherever
if i think of my old house i think of the white walls and the mirror of the hall, if i go to my room i can perfectly recall the shades of the door, i can almost feel it if i extend my arm in my imagination, I see how the light turns down as i get in and i can see the blue of my sheets
i would call not being able to do this alzheimer (not to be able to recall any of your senses not just sight anyway)
you dont need to close your eyes to imagine btw, you dont actually see it, thats clear right? you see what your eyes are seeing and that doesnt disappear, you and everyone, you are not finding out you have a mental problem or anything
what do you think of when you read something? Its really vague and you can still see what your optic nerve is catching it's still there, somewhere, wherever you want, at your right at your left, trhough a window
now remembering and imagining is pretty much teh same, for a sighted person, when you imagine Amy Whinehouse with a hat ure remembering her with her piercing over her lip and any hat you ever saw and putting one on top of the other
dam its really fun thinking about this

Last edited by a moderator:

pinser

WCA
2016GOHT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
you would be correct, i use audio for absolutely everything, cannot do anything else and im pretty much sub10 in 5bld
Do you do "pure" audio? I've heard that your audio is somewhat like sentences.
If you had to memo "AX IL DB VC CJ WD," what would that look like?

L

lucarubik

if someone can remember the 50 stickers or w/e a 5x5 has with audio loops he should stop playing with rubiks cubes and use his brain to make the world a better place

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
so when you guys remmeber stuff what does exactly come to your heads, the sound it makes? the sound its word makes? its texture? smells?
that sounds hella troll lol
i've always wondered if its harder for a blind person to remember, since he lacks on images, whenever i think about anything even something not physical like a song i think of a more or less vague image of it, or the singer singing it, or me singing it in my room or wherever
if i think of my old house i think of the white walls and the mirror of the hall, if i go to my room i can perfectly recall the shades of the door, i can almost feel it if i extend my arm in my imagination, I see how the light turns down as i get in and i can see the blue of my sheets
i would call not being able to do this alzheimer (not to be able to recall any of your senses not just sight anyway)
you dont need to close your eyes to imagine btw, you dont actually see it, thats clear right? you see what your eyes are seeing and that doesnt disappear, you and everyone, you are not finding out you have a mental problem or anything
what do you think of when you read something? Its really vague and you can still see what your optic nerve is catching it's still there, somewhere, wherever you want, at your right at your left, trhough a window
now remembering and imagining is pretty much teh same, for a sighted person, when you imagine Amy Whinehouse with a hat ure remembering her with her piercing over her lip and any hat you ever saw and putting one on top of the other
dam its really fun thinking about this
I forgot that I meant to reply to this.

It's hard to answer. I mainly remember events by what I thought and felt at the time. When I listen to a song, I remember the emotions I was feeling at some other point I heard the song, or I remember what I was doing, or the context in which I heard the song. When I read a book I feel the emotions and experiences of the characters. Even when I remember scenes from a movie, I'm more likely to remember the idea of things than what anything looked like.

In terms of senses, I can imagine tastes extremely vividly, and I can imagine heat or cold quite well. I can imagine direction quite well, as weird as that sounds. Sounds I can imagine if I can sub-vocalise it (so I can imagine my own voice quite well), and I can imagine simple simple music playing in my head if I try, but I can't imagine complex sounds or other peoples voices. I can't visualise things at all though.

L

lucarubik

I forgot that I meant to reply to this.

It's hard to answer. I mainly remember events by what I thought and felt at the time. When I listen to a song, I remember the emotions I was feeling at some other point I heard the song, or I remember what I was doing, or the context in which I heard the song. When I read a book I feel the emotions and experiences of the characters. Even when I remember scenes from a movie, I'm more likely to remember the idea of things than what anything looked like.

In terms of senses, I can imagine tastes extremely vividly, and I can imagine heat or cold quite well. I can imagine direction quite well, as weird as that sounds. Sounds I can imagine if I can sub-vocalise it (so I can imagine my own voice quite well), and I can imagine simple simple music playing in my head if I try, but I can't imagine complex sounds or other peoples voices. I can't visualise things at all though.
wow sounds like an actual disorder, i barely can recall tastes or smells, its all images and sounds maybe its a personal thing, but i always thought ppl imagined and remembered as i do, maybe im the one with the disorder, wow

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
wow sounds like an actual disorder, i barely can recall tastes or smells, its all images and sounds maybe its a personal thing, but i always thought ppl imagined and remembered as i do, maybe im the one with the disorder, wow
It's called aphantasia. I actually only learned that other people can literally see things in their imagination when I was in my mid 20's. I've heard that something like 1 in 40 people have it.