• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

black gunk in my cube

choipster

my cube was turning kinda weirdly, so I popped it open and cleaned the inside with a wet paper towel. When i cleaned it, a whole bunch of black stuff came out. :blink: does this mean i've been using the wrong kind of lube and it's corroding my cube and the gunk is actually plastic? or is that just like dust or something? thanks for any help

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
That is normal. Sounds like you use a lot though. I have a tiny bit of black "dust" covering the inside. I never clean the inside, just lube once a month or so.

choipster

okay cool. thanks PJK. gonna buy a new cube since mine pops frequently and didnt wanna mess up a new cube by using the wrong lube or something.

Harris Chan

WCA
2007CHAN07
YouTube
Visit Channel
I had 2 kinds of "Black Gunk"

The first one, which was with my first cube, was nasty. It felt/look like charcoal you use in art. It was with using SUN-FLOWER COOKING OIL

But the second one is the blackish dust, which isn't as bad, but still not very nice. With Cube Lube/ Silicon Lubes

doubleyou

its the plastic that you take off the pieces as you were it in/ using it.

dont worry, if its a diy cube, then just tighten the screws up abit.

if its not, then just keep in mind that the pieces now have less friction and you cant just brute force it around as much. be more smooth. :)

icke

WCA
2008THUR01
i have that two, the fine dust. i think it it some of the plastic that gets off of the sides. like you would use sandpaper. some people say it is the best lupe there is but i think it slows it down. so i clean mine every three to four weeks.