• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
This thread is made to talk about Big Cubes.(4x4-5x5-6x6-7x7-8x8-etc.)
There are threads for CFOP, Roux, and Petrus, so why not for Big Cubes?

Big Cubes are a much more difficult puzzle and more access to information will be greatly appreciated by everyone.

In this thread, you can ask for help, share ideas or tips and give out links to sites.

I have searched for a Thread like this, but I could not find anything suitable.

Schmidt

WCA
2012SCHM07
When I do CN solves on a 3x3x3 I choose the best cross during inspection(obv.) I have seen Feliks Z. do CN on 4x4x4. So, my Q is: When do you decide what cross you want to make?? Is it just the color that is on D when the last pair is made, or is there another way??

Mollerz

Swag Overlord
WCA
2011MOLL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
When I do CN solves on a 3x3x3 I choose the best cross during inspection(obv.) I have seen Feliks Z. do CN on 4x4x4. So, my Q is: When do you decide what cross you want to make?? Is it just the color that is on D when the last pair is made, or is there another way??

I don't fix on any cross until I'm onto my last 2 edges, I'll generally pick a cross whilst I'm doing this. Usually it's a cross with a couple of pieces already on it, or there may by chance be an easy XCross I see, or you can just see a couple of easy pairs ahead.

TheMachanga

WCA
2010LECH01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I look for edges that are already connected to their center on one side, and can be put in place with one move. I look for this while doing the last edge pair usually, but sometimes immediately after. There's no advantage to being CN if you just always do D cross when the last pair is made. There's no point.

Basically, what I do, is start building a random cross, then see (while building it) if it's easier to continue with the current one, or switch to another one. Most of the time, I switch. Of course, if you see some edges already solved after edge paring, start with that cross.

Pete the Geek

8x8 Strategies and Algs

I've been doing 8x8 centres in strips. It seems OK, though I will try blocks at some point. What are your thoughts?

For algs I've had no trouble using all my 6x6 stuff by changing 3Lw to 4Lw, etc. Some algs, such as the single outer wing edge piece swap works just fine with no changes and can work on deeper layers if needed.

Finally, I have a nice adjacent edge swap for 4x4 but have had no luck making it work for bigger even cubes. It's not a big deal as I just swap opposite edges and then permutate, but I'd enjoy seeing your ideas.

Robocopter87

WCA
2013KUNK01
I recently got into 4x4, I'm going to be getting a cube that actually moves when I push it with a finger, but for now I'm stuck with Rubiks. Anywho, I'm averaging 3 minutes (When i said recently. I meant like a few days ago) and I would like to know around how fast each step should be taking me.

I'm not asking for specific times but what do you think a good intermediate average is for Centers, Edges, and 3x3 Solve?

Thanks

JianhanC

WCA
2010CHOO02
I recently got into 4x4, I'm going to be getting a cube that actually moves when I push it with a finger, but for now I'm stuck with Rubiks. Anywho, I'm averaging 3 minutes (When i said recently. I meant like a few days ago) and I would like to know around how fast each step should be taking me.

I'm not asking for specific times but what do you think a good intermediate average is for Centers, Edges, and 3x3 Solve?

Thanks

I'd say 15-40-20?

Btw, any mods to reduce center pops on 7x7? I shaved all my obliques on my 6x6 and it the popping rate is only reduced a bit. And, I find B16 sized stapler bullets great as pins for 6x6.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've been doing 8x8 centres in strips. It seems OK, though I will try blocks at some point. What are your thoughts?
If it means anything, I use strips for all really big bigcubes. So it's definitely a great strategy, although I can't be sure it's the best possible.

PS: For anyone having trouble with obliques, here's a handy chart I just made. Recognizing/memorizing these patterns is really useful for bigger cubes. Advanced people should already know this, but beginners might find it helpful.
obliques.png

Jaycee

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'd say 15-40-20?

o_O

1:15 is Intermediate? I'd say more like 1:45 xD

First off, Robocopter, what do you average on 3x3? I average just barely sub-20 and my 3x3 stage can take anywhere from 30 to 45 seconds depending on parities, lock-ups, overall bad solves and such. I think my reduction is really good for my average (~1:40), because I normally have reduction done at around 1:00.

Riley

WCA
2007WOOR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
For 6x6, does anybody, for centers, make a 2x2 piece, and then get the pieces on the ends for that 2x2 block, making a 2x4? And then just making 2 bars, connecting them to the 2x4 one at a time, like normal? That's what I do, but I'm slow right now. (5ish minutes)

JianhanC

WCA
2010CHOO02
For 6x6, does anybody, for centers, make a 2x2 piece, and then get the pieces on the ends for that 2x2 block, making a 2x4? And then just making 2 bars, connecting them to the 2x4 one at a time, like normal? That's what I do, but I'm slow right now. (5ish minutes)

Balint does that. But if there's an easy case, why not exploit it.