• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Thom S.

What level is considered world-class for 5x5?
Considered - I don't know.
But
There are exactly 10 40sec and under singles and about 27 42sec. So at least a SUB 42 single seems reasonable.
5x5 is the kind of event, where luck isn't as big of a factor as 3x3 and 2x2 or 6x6 and 7x7, so we can assume that a world class cuber has extremely consistent times. Looking at the WCA rankings again makes me think somewhere around 47-44 seconds seems reasonable.

LBr

WCA
2022FOGG01
Idk about 6 or 7 but with 5x5 there are 3main ways. One you solve the middle bar then solve the outer bars. 2 you make a 2x2 block then extend to a 2x2x3 then finish. 3 probably least common way you make a T shape then insert an edge by the join point then you have a 2x2x3.

Last edited:

kbrune

WCA
2012BRUN02
I just started messing aroung with cube art. I've been working on a pattern on a 9x9. After hours and hours of messing up and restarting. I finally got most of it done. Only problem is I messed up 2 of my centers in the process.

I'm hoping to find a way to fix the centers without starting over again. The first center i'd like to fix. Would be as follows.

If you break up the 7x7 center into 3 lines, by looking at it as 2 - 3 - 2. The two (2x7) outside lines would have to do a U2 to be fixed while the center line (3x7) would remain the same. Anyone capable of figuring out an alg that would do that? I tried messing with a 5x5, assuming that the logic there would translate, but I can't figure it out there either. I'm not good enough with commutators.

The second center I'd have to upload a pic since it's more complicated. I'll do that later.

Cheers!

xyzzy

If you break up the 7x7 center into 3 lines, by looking at it as 2 - 3 - 2. The two (2x7) outside lines would have to do a U2 to be fixed while the center line (3x7) would remain the same. Anyone capable of figuring out an alg that would do that?
What you're looking for isn't possible (parity constraint violation), unless you also break up the edges/corners or mess up another centre.

Method A:
1. Do (R U R' U)5 to rotate the U centre by 180°. (Not strictly necessary, but reduces the number of pieces you have to fix from 20 to 14.)
2. Use 3-cycle commutators to fix up the remaining centre pieces.

Method B:
1. Assuming your two problematic centres are on U and F, do this to fix the U centre while possibly messing up the F centre more (or vice versa).

kbrune

WCA
2012BRUN02
What you're looking for isn't possible (parity constraint violation), unless you also break up the edges/corners or mess up another centre.

Method A:
1. Do (R U R' U)5 to rotate the U centre by 180°. (Not strictly necessary, but reduces the number of pieces you have to fix from 20 to 14.)

Method B:
1. Assuming your two problematic centres are on U and F, do this to fix the U centre while possibly messing up the F centre more (or vice versa).

Omg your link in method 2 did the trick!!! Thank you!

As soon as I figure out in what way my second center is off by. i'll post it as well.

is Alg.cubing.net a complicated thing to learn? Looks like a great tool for what i'm doing with big cubes!

xyzzy

is Alg.cubing.net a complicated thing to learn? Looks like a great tool for what i'm doing with big cubes!
Probably not that complicated. You do need to learn the notation (SiGN) to make proper use of it.

Lowercase letter examples:
l (lowercase L) means to turn the leftmost two layers together like an L move.
4u means to turn the top four layers together like a U move.
5-8r' means to turn the 5th through 8th layers (inclusive) from the right side like an R' move.

Uppercase letter examples:
D' means to turn the bottom layer by itself (as usual).
6F2 means to turn the sixth layer from the front side like an F2 move.

On a 9×9×9, 2R and 8L' would be equivalent moves (2nd from the right = 8th from the left); there are multiple ways of writing the same move.

kbrune

WCA
2012BRUN02
Probably not that complicated. You do need to learn the notation (SiGN) to make proper use of it.

I feel like figuring out what I want the program to do for me will be the tough part!
Edit: I think i assumed this software generated the alg for you. It doesn't do that does it? Apologies, Comparatively i'm a low functioning cuber!

Do you know if it's possible to rotate one center only by 90 degrees? Or would that be an issue that can only be fixed by moving around blocks within the center with comms?

I find the edge pairing stage of 5x5x5 and bigger cubes very dull and tedious. Are there any advanced techniques I can learn to make edge pairing a little more fun, creative or challenging, or should I just give up reduction-like methods and look into direct solving techniques?

LwBigcubes

WCA
2019HOON01
I find the edge pairing stage of 5x5x5 and bigger cubes very dull and tedious. Are there any advanced techniques I can learn to make edge pairing a little more fun, creative or challenging, or should I just give up reduction-like methods and look into direct solving techniques?
You might want to learn the Yau method for 5x5. There is also Hoya method but I'm not too sure how this works.

Personally I prefer reduction on 5x5 and above because I prefer freeslice over doing yau cross and centers. On the other hand I hear that most cubers who switched to yau have said that edge pairing became less dull and more fun.

LBr

WCA
2022FOGG01
What is all this talk about triple parity on 6x6? For my last 2 edges if I get edge parity I make sure the parity edge is yellow (LL colour) and see which edges need to be oriented/ misoriented in order to get an even orientation. If I recognise I have outer edges misoriented I do the normal edge parity but if I have inner I do an inner slice move variant that directly fixes parity. In other words, I force myself out of full oll parity when I see that I have edge parity. So why isn’t this done more especially for Yau users?

Thom S.

What is all this talk about triple parity on 6x6? For my last 2 edges if I get edge parity I make sure the parity edge is yellow (LL colour) and see which edges need to be oriented/ misoriented in order to get an even orientation. If I recognise I have outer edges misoriented I do the normal edge parity but if I have inner I do an inner slice move variant that directly fixes parity. In other words, I force myself out of full oll parity when I see that I have edge parity. So why isn’t this done more especially for Yau users?
I don't understand it either.
This is something I found out myself after like 10 or 15 solves.

Personally I think triple parity is just a construct to use in order to talk 6x6, 8x8 and the like as a bad puzzle.