• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
1. was looking at Cubeskills' Yau5 tutorial and it says you solve the centres and then solve the last cross edge, but J-Perm's video about Yau5 says you make all the cross edges and then solve the centres so you can immediately transition into edge-pairing. Personally i solve the centres and then pair up the last cross edge before going into edge pairing, which is considerably easier?
2. What time barrier on 5x5 is comparable to 1 minute on 4x4
3. Is it possible to get sub-2 with just the basic algs? I know parity and edge-pairing (slice-flip-slice). I dont wanna learn algs for L2E yet and L2C is mostly intuitive.
The two different methods of Yau5 are both viable options. Personally I prefer the flexibility of redux for 5+. The general rule of thumb is 1:00 on 4x4 is roughly comparable to 2:00 on 5x5, but I have averages up to 12 (I think) sub-2 5x5, and not even a Mo3 sub-1 4x4. I only know parity and slice-flip-slice for L2E, and only intuitive cases for L2C. I don't have good TPS and I have a very poor 3x3 stage. A better cuber could probably get sub-1:30 with the methods that I use. I have high hopes of being globally sub-2 on 5x5 by the end of 2022, and the only algs I'm likely to learn are a few more cases where I have to use a 2-look OLL right now.

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I know this is similar to the last question, but is learning algs for L2E worth it?
Yes. You want to be able to do the last 2 edges as quickly as possible instead of continuously doing flipping algs. 6 and 7 are different as the parity and non-parity cases
are very hard to recognize, but 5x5 it is totally worth it.

Timona

YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, if you want to get faster, like sub-1:30, you want to do the centers in 15-20 seconds, with each center in 5-10 seconds.
I've improved on that now. My current splits are

Yau
- F2C 20 secs
- 3 Cross Edges 15 secs
- L4C 40 secs
- Edges 40 secs
-3x3 20 secs

Redux/Freeslice
- Centres 40-50 secs
- Edges 60 secs
- 3x3 20 secs

I've been getting sub-2 times every now and then but i wanna be consistently sub-2, I dont know what to improve on and how to even go about it

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've improved on that now. My current splits are

Yau
- F2C 20 secs
- 3 Cross Edges 15 secs
- L4C 40 secs
- Edges 40 secs
-3x3 20 secs

Redux/Freeslice
- Centres 40-50 secs
- Edges 60 secs
- 3x3 20 secs

I've been getting sub-2 times every now and then but i wanna be consistently sub-2, I dont know what to improve on and how to even go about it
Taking a look at your edges for both methods (and also centers for redux), the times need to be brought down. Try slowing down and looking ahead just a little bit on that set(s) of the solve, and you should be fine.
It is also good to know what cases makes bars for the centers. A lot of slow solving will help with that.
I bid you good luck with your improvement!

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What's the best way to go about this case, with Yau?
Ignore my feet

Use a 3Rw U 3Rw' (3Rw is the right 3 layers) to make your 2x3 bars. Then do, with 3x3 notations, r U' r' so that your empty area for your last 3 piece bar is on the right. Finally, you solve with 5x5 Rw and U moves

Timona

YouTube
Visit Channel
During 5x5 edge pairing, should you look for all 3 edge pieces, insert them into the E-layer, then slice and join them up or insert the two you can see and as you're doing that lookahead and find the third one and then join it with the 1x2 already paired? I do it the second way, idk if it's too slow and inefficient