• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

NewCuber257

Hi I’m Taylor. I’m pretty new to the cubing world but I love doing them, even if I’m extremely slow at it! I just figured out how to solve the 8x8 and the 9x9 and I just bought a 10x10 and a 13x13. My question is are all big cubes solved using the same beginners algorithms. For instance can I solve the the 10x10 the same as a 8x8 and can I solve the 13x13 the same as a 9x9. Any advice would help a lot. Thank you!

xyzzy

Hi I’m Taylor. I’m pretty new to the cubing world but I love doing them, even if I’m extremely slow at it! I just figured out how to solve the 8x8 and the 9x9 and I just bought a 10x10 and a 13x13. My question is are all big cubes solved using the same beginners algorithms. For instance can I solve the the 10x10 the same as a 8x8 and can I solve the 13x13 the same as a 9x9. Any advice would help a lot. Thank you!
Yep, you can use pretty much the same method. There isn't really anything new to big cubes past a 6×6×6.

(Unless you're trying to go fast, in which case various optimisation tricks only make sense on certain sizes.)

NewCuber257

Yep, you can use pretty much the same method. There isn't really anything new to big cubes past a 6×6×6.

(Unless you're trying to go fast, in which case various optimisation tricks only make sense on certain sizes.)
Thank you so much for the help

SlimJimTx

Can anyone help me swap these 2 middle pieces on this 8x8. It would really make a kid happy on Easter. Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 12.15.28 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-04 at 12.15.24 PM.png

Reactions: qwr

SlimJimTx

Hold red on top and white in the front, and do:

4R2 U’ 4L2 U 4R2 U’ 4L2 U2 4R2 U’ 4L2 U 4R2 U’ 4L2

4R2 = turn the 4th layer from the right 180 degrees
4L2 = turn the 4th layer from the left 180 degrees
Hi - hmmm I just tried but ended up in the same situation...

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
Try going to 5:10 in this video. He uses a 6x6, but it works with any big cube. It’s just doing 2 commutators to do 2 2-swaps, which is the algorithm that I gave you. It seems to work fine for me, but maybe I typed it wrong. Also, you’ll have to turn the layer twice, since your swapped centers are on opposite faces, but his are on adjacent faces. Hope this helps!

SlimJimTx

Try going to 5:10 in this video. He uses a 6x6, but it works with any big cube. It’s just doing 2 commutators to do 2 2-swaps, which is the algorithm that I gave you. It seems to work fine for me, but maybe I typed it wrong. Also, you’ll have to turn the layer twice, since your swapped centers are on opposite faces, but his are on adjacent faces. Hope this helps!

Thanks for your help. It still seems to be just reverting back to where it started. I'll keep working at it.

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel

CuberL

I have a really bad 6x6 (Yj Yushi), and I ordered the MGC recently, and on my bad cube my best is 3:22, but my average is around 4:00. I average 50 on 4x4 (Yau), 1:38 on 5x5 (Redux), and around 5:30 on 7x7 (Redux), although it keeps dropping everyday because of the MGC 7x7. I don't really practice any of these events more than once of twice a week so would my average on 6x6 be with some regular practice and a better cube?

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I have a really bad 6x6 (Yj Yushi), and I ordered the MGC recently, and on my bad cube my best is 3:22, but my average is around 4:00. I average 50 on 4x4 (Yau), 1:38 on 5x5 (Redux), and around 5:30 on 7x7 (Redux), although it keeps dropping everyday because of the MGC 7x7. I don't really practice any of these events more than once of twice a week so would my average on 6x6 be with some regular practice and a better cube?
Hard to say exactly, but I average about 30 seconds slower than you on 4x4, 35 seconds slower on 5x5, and 30 or 40 seconds slower on 7x7, and I am just a few seconds faster than you on my MGC 6x6. You've got a good chance of dropping pretty significantly quickly.

robdawg421

Can't find 7x7 algorithm for last edge parity

Hello.. I've recently been learning big cubes and had a question about 7x7. JPerm's guides on youtube stop at 6x6.

For 4x4... jperm uses for OLL parity:

Rw U2 x Rw U2 Rw U2 Rw' U2 Lw U2 Rw' U2 Rw U2 Rw' U2 Rw'

For 5x5... he uses this for edge parity:

Rw U2 x Rw U2 Rw U2 3Rw' U2 Lw U2 Rw' U2 Rw U2 Rw' U2 Rw'

And for 6x6... he uses this for edge parity:

Rw U2 x Rw U2 Rw U2 Rw' U2 Lw U2 4Rw' U2 Rw U2 Rw' U2 Rw'

Additionally, for 6x6 OLL parity he uses this:

3Rw U2 x 3Rw U2 3Rw U2 3Rw' U2 3Lw U2 3Rw' U2 3Rw U2 3Rw' U2 3Rw'

Now... what I like about these is they are fairly easy to remember and they all are basically the same algorithm except one move might use a different big slice... or all of the moves use a particular big slice.

Is there an equivalent for 7x7? Most algorithms I am able to see in youtube vids (jperm doesnt have a 7x7 vid) or in guides online are using completely different algorithms that use B, L or Fs... and at least after learning the above one seems like heading back to the drawing board.

Does anyone know off-hand how to adjust the above algorithms to work to solve the final edge parity on 7x7? I am assuming maybe I have to repeat the algorithm twice sometimes but not really sure. Originally was hoping it would be a single move change like 5x5 and 6x6 seemed to do.

Edit: fyi I am solid with 4x4 and 5x5.. the others are coming in the mail.

Just found alg.cubing.net... answers all. So glad one base algo can be used for edges in bigger cubes.

Last edited:

tsmosher

jperm does have a couple of videos on 7x7 BTW. Big Cube Fundamentals is one of them, I think.

In learning this alg, there's 2 tricks I use to remember how to scale it up for larger cubes:

I have it written down like below. (Note the M move in the middle.)

[Rw U2] (x) [Rw U2]2 (M) [Rw' U2] [Lw U2] [Rw' U2 Rw] U2 [Rw' U2 Rw] (Rw2)

That can still get confusing though, so the way that I intuitively think about it:

Rw U2 x Rw U2 Rw U2 Rw' U2 Lw U2 Rw' U2 Rw U2 Rw' U2 Rw

All of the Rw moves except the bolded/underlined one will use the same number of layers.
(All of the layers up to but not including the flipped edges.)
The Lw move will use this same number of layers as well (just mirrored onto the left side).

If you've been turning 2 layers for your Rw moves on a 7x7 cube, the Rw' move will be (7 - 2) = 5 layers coming backward.
If you've been turning 3 layers for your Rw moves on a 9x9 cube, the Rw' move will be (9 - 3) = 6 layers coming backward.
The Rw' move basically turns: (# total layers - # layers you've been turning thus far)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

xyzzy

That can still get confusing though, so the way that I intuitively think about it:

Rw U2 x Rw U2 Rw U2 Rw' U2 Lw U2 Rw' U2 Rw U2 Rw' U2 Rw

All of the Rw moves except the bolded/underlined one will use the same number of layers.
(All of the layers up to but not including the flipped edges.)
The Lw move will use this same number of layers as well (just mirrored onto the left side).
I feel like the least confusing rendition of this alg (to me! ymmv!) is
Rw U2 Rw F2 Rw F2 Lw' U2 Lw U2 Rw' U2 Rw U2 Rw' U2 Rw'
=
Rw U2 Rw (x U2 Rw U2 x') Lw' U2 Lw U2 Rw' U2 Rw U2 Rw' U2 Rw'

This "use rotations to execute F2s easier" trick also features in literally the only 555 L2E parity alg everyone should learn:
Rw U2 Rw U2 F2 Rw F2 Lw' U2 Lw U2 Rw2
=
Rw U2 Rw U2 (x U2 Rw U2 x') Lw' U2 Lw U2 Rw2
(and of course it does, look how similar the algs are)

This specific rendition of Lucas parity is also easily modified to a variant for solving only inner parity for 666 and 777 (and even bigger cubes):
3R U2 3R x U2 3R U2 (x' 3L') U2 3L U2 3R' U2 3R U2 3R' U2 3R'

WCA
2016DRIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just found alg.cubing.net... answers all. So glad one base algo can be used for edges in bigger cubes.
I was going to say that, it is the same alg for all the NxN big cube, just change what layer you ned to do it.
Yes just one algorithm works for any NxN, you just have to adjust/change the layers of the alg, according to the number of layers on the cube.

robdawg421

Yeah.. my main issue was i have 4x4 and 5x5.. but am still waiting on a 6x6 and 7x7 to arrive so can't experiment (until I found the algo site).

I suspected could move diff big slices for larger cubes but didn't see a vid explaining how to adjust pre-existing algorithms. Also threw me off that for 6x6, JPerm changed which move he changed the layer on (didn't realize could do in different spots).

All of this is prob from me being lazy and just following algorithms instead of thinking how they are working as I use them. And perhaps that the 4x4 algo page on this site is a little overwhelming (but in retrospect is great).

robdawg421

Hey... so just got my 6x6 and 7x7. Solved 6x6 no prob. On 7x7 I was trying to handle edge parity using the base algo from earlier cubes:

Rw U2 x Rw U2 Rw U2 Rw' U2 Lw U2 Rw' U2 Rw U2 Rw' U2 Rw'

I figured the following changes to work for the following edges:

XXOXX 4Rw U2 x 4Rw U2 4Rw U2 4Rw' U2 4Lw U2 4Rw' U2 4Rw U2 4Rw' U2 4Rw'
XXOXX 3Rw U2 x 3Rw U2 3Rw U2 4Rw' U2 3Lw U2 3Rw' U2 3Rw U2 3Rw' U2 3Rw'

and

XOOOX 5Rw U2 x 5Rw U2 5Rw U2 5Rw' U2 5Lw U2 5Rw' U2 5Rw U2 5Rw' U2 5Rw'
XOOOX Rw U2 x Rw U2 Rw U2 5Rw' U2 Lw U2 Rw' U2 Rw U2 Rw' U2 Rw'

For the OXOXO case... I couldn't find a single algo fix. I realized that I could do one of each after each other... and that would fix it.. but was hoping there was a change to the wide slices I move to do this.

Any ideas on the variation?