• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Ordway Persyn

WCA
2016PERS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You forgot about the part with good hardware. For 3x3 it's true that its the Cuber not the cube but that does not apply to big cubes. Finding hardware you are comfortable with is extremely important to big cube solving. If you want to know my mains in order 4-7 they are Aosu GTS2 MGC MGC Spark. All of them are magnetic and I think that they are the best on the market as of right now. The MGC6 and Spark are without a doubt the best on the market. 4x4 hardware is either the Aosu WRm or GTS2, if you like the size of the Meilong 4x4 get the WRm and if you want something bigger get the GTS2. For 5x5 there is the MGC, Aochuang GTS, and Valk 5. If you want raw speed with a slightly blocky feel and stability get the MGC. If you want something flexible with very smooth turning and corner-cutting get the Aochuang GTS. If you want something with control get the Valk 5.

See no.7

My current cubes are the Qiyi Wuque, Valk5 M, Shadow M and Spark M. Haven't bought a new 4x4 in 3 years (Need to get a job so i have money to buy more cubes lol)

is yau or redux better objectively on 5,6,7? i avg slightly faster on yau for 5 but faster on redux for 6 and 7. also, what should splits be for sub 2 on 6 and sub 3 on 7 using redux

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
What are the most fundamental things (portions of the solve) to focus on when getting into big cubes? I currently know the concepts of reduction.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
is yau or redux better objectively on 5,6,7? i avg slightly faster on yau for 5 but faster on redux for 6 and 7. also, what should splits be for sub 2 on 6 and sub 3 on 7 using redux
Just for the record Kevin, Feliks, and Max use redux on 5-7 but Ciarán uses Yau. I think that redux is the better method for 5x5+ because the centers are able to be completed much faster and the lookahead problem is not to bad for me.

TwiSTeDChiP

I started 5x5 5 months ago, and I've stopped practicing it, but now I want to get back into it. I use the beginner's method, but I want to expand. Should I learn Yau5 or Redux? I have asked this to people many times, and I still cannot get a solid answer. Thanks! :D

KPOACAH

I started 5x5 5 months ago, and I've stopped practicing it, but now I want to get back into it. I use the beginner's method, but I want to expand. Should I learn Yau5 or Redux? I have asked this to people many times, and I still cannot get a solid answer. Thanks! :D

Yau method is a more comfortable for me. I think it is right pick

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
What are the most fundamental things (portions of the solve) to focus on when getting into big cubes? I currently know the concepts of reduction.
There are 3 parts to a big cube solve, Centers, Edges, and 3x3. During centers I think its honestly best to not think and just do. During CaH III Ciaran Behan and Kevin Hays were talking about doing centers and they just said that you should not think too hard about it and just keep going because there is no time to think and only time to do. Edges are probably the step that can make or break your solves. You should have good teqniques like Freeslice and always make sure to replace solved edges with pieces that you want to use for your next pair. The biggest mistake I see people making is just throwing any unsolved edge in then looking around the cube for 15 seconds to find their next edge. Lookahead is very important during edges so you can maintain your turn speed and keep your flow going. Finally there is 3x3 stage. Hardware on 5-7 is not as good as 3x3 so instead of trying to spam your turns the way you would on 3x3 relax your turning and focus less on tps and more on efficiency. Unless you are extremely comfortable with your current main your turning during 3x3 stage won't be very good, but if you make sure your efficiency is great than your times will drop.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Redux is used by almost all of the top 5x5 solvers except for Ciaran. I think that redux is slightly better for 5x5 but I would try using both methods to see what you like more. Also if you are concerned about it the current 5-7 WRs are all redux.

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel

It depends on your preferences. I assume by beginner's method you mean basic Redux. Yau is nice in that it gives an easier 3x3 stage and edges, however, the centers are much slower with Yau. If you want an easier time looking ahead then I would pick Yau. If you want efficient centers then Redux is the way to go. they are honestly pretty even, but it depends on what you prioritize. For clarity I use Yau on 5x5.

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
also, what should splits be for sub 2 on 6 and sub 3 on 7 using redux
I'm not quite that fast, but I took a look at my friend's sub 2 6x6 solves and sub 3 7x7 solves and here is my estimation of what the splits should be.
6x6
First two centers - 25 seconds
Last 4 centers - 30 seconds
First 8 edges - 40 seconds
Last 4 edges - 10 seconds
3x3 stage - 15 seconds
7x7
First two centers - 40 seconds
Last 4 centers - 1 minute
First 8 edges - 50 seconds
Last 4 edges - 15 seconds
3x3 stage - 15 seconds

Obviously these are just rough estimations, for you it will depend on your strengths and weaknesses, but I thought this might help. :)

TwiSTeDChiP

I already use Yau for 4x4, forgot to mention that

u Cube

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm not good at 5x5, let me just say that.

So I recently switched from using freeslice to using Yau, and I was trying to find a good way to solve centers. The normal way of solving centers by solving whole centers was difficult for me so I tried applying half centers from 4x4 to 5x5. And how I did this is I solve 1x3 bands on the left side of the cube for the bottom, front, and back centers. Then I solve the middle 1x3s, and finally finish the rest 2 gen, and sometimes will use an edge comm when I get to last 2 centers. Is this method worth pursuing or is building full centers better than this? I'd love to see a movecount comparison, but I don't think I'm qualified to do the comparison. Thanks!

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Does anyone have a problem with the valk 5 corner twisting? It keeps happening during solves/scrambles and I would like to know if anyone else has this problem and/or knows how to solve it. My tensions are a little tighter than normal and the setup is from TC with their celeritas premium valk 5.

xyzzy

Does anyone have a problem with the valk 5 corner twisting? It keeps happening during solves/scrambles and I would like to know if anyone else has this problem and/or knows how to solve it. My tensions are a little tighter than normal and the setup is from TC with their celeritas premium valk 5.
I generally keep my cubes fairly loose and I've only gotten corner twists on the Valk 5 maybe thrice (?) out of a few hundred solves. It happens, but isn't common enough for me to care. (Also, if you're getting corner twists during scrambles, you're doing it wrong.)

Tangentially related: Feliks casually getting an OcR average despite a counting corner twist.

Yoopicul

i need to swap two pieces on 7x7 thisa is how it looks
TOP:
xxoxx
xxxxx
xxxxx
xxxxx
xxxxx
FRONT
xxoxx
xxxxx
xxxxx