• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results

Yau for 4x4 is different than Yau5, and you can use Yau4 on 5x5+. However, most people either use reduction for 5x5+ or Yau5. Jayden McNeil made a video about why he thinks Yau4 is better than Yau5 for big cubes, but don't automatically assume what he says is correct. Try out all three (Yau4, Yau5, and Reduction) and decide what's best for you

DukeCubes

I would say the most important part is to use yau! I think that yau is the best method especially for 4x4, I am in the middle of getting better at yau, and I know I will soon average sub 1 minute. Goodluck on your path!!!

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would say the most important part is to use yau! I think that yau is the best method especially for 4x4, I am in the middle of getting better at yau, and I know I will soon average sub 1 minute. Goodluck on your path!!!
Definitely Use Yau for 4x4, Redux is slightly better than Yau for 5x5, but if you find Yau more fun, go ahead and use it. I would advise against using Yau for 6x6 and 7x7 and just use redux instead.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results

Ordway Persyn

WCA
2016PERS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
12 things for getting better at big cubes are:

1: Do lots of solves.
2: Doing casual solves were you find out new ways to do things such as centers and edges.
3: Drill parity Algs.
4: Do lots of solves.
5: Make sure your turning is accurate.
6: For 4x4 and 6x6 make sure your centers are in the correct orientation.
7: Get good cubes and/or set them up well.
8: Try to reduce pauses.
9: Do lots of solves.
10: try to plan as much as possible in inspection
11: Maybe try hoya ;)
12: Did i mention do lots of solves?

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
12 things for getting better at big cubes are:

1: Do lots of solves.
2: Doing casual solves were you find out new ways to do things such as centers and edges.
3: Drill parity Algs.
4: Do lots of solves.
5: Make sure your turning is accurate.
6: For 4x4 and 6x6 make sure your centers are in the correct orientation.
7: Get good cubes and/or set them up well.
8: Try to reduce pauses.
9: Do lots of solves.
10: try to plan as much as possible in inspection
11: Maybe try hoya ;)
12: Did i mention do lots of solves?
You forgot about the part with good hardware. For 3x3 it's true that its the Cuber not the cube but that does not apply to big cubes. Finding hardware you are comfortable with is extremely important to big cube solving. If you want to know my mains in order 4-7 they are Aosu GTS2 MGC MGC Spark. All of them are magnetic and I think that they are the best on the market as of right now. The MGC6 and Spark are without a doubt the best on the market. 4x4 hardware is either the Aosu WRm or GTS2, if you like the size of the Meilong 4x4 get the WRm and if you want something bigger get the GTS2. For 5x5 there is the MGC, Aochuang GTS, and Valk 5. If you want raw speed with a slightly blocky feel and stability get the MGC. If you want something flexible with very smooth turning and corner-cutting get the Aochuang GTS. If you want something with control get the Valk 5.