• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

PEN.gu1nCXI

On a different note, what is the best 4x4x4 on the market? Valk 4 M? Wuque M? Aosu GTS2M? Gan 460 M?

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04

Yes. This one. In fairness, I haven’t tried the Aochuang GTSM, but the Yuxin is better than the Wushuang.

On a different note, what is the best 4x4x4 on the market? Valk 4 M? Wuque M? Aosu GTS2M? Gan 460 M?

I main a Yuxin Blue M, I don’t know if that’s the best but it’s pretty good. If you want specifics on which magnets I used in either cube I can give you links, but the Blue looks like it’s been discontinued. You would have to find that one used or old stock, and I don’t know if it’s worth that.

CubingWithJay

WCA
2015MCCA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi, I've really been struggling with improving at 5x5.
I currently average around 3mins and I use reduction. I was wondering if anyone could provide any tips, tricks, videos or websites for improving at it.

Thanks for your time

xyzzy

Like these https://cubingcheatsheet.com/algs5x.html

The most relevant page I could find is this tiny page which doesn't have any algorithms https://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/Big_Cubes_edge_pairing
(Was this post merged from a separate thread? Not sure what you're saying or asking.)

The first part of the bigcubes.com edge pairing method (for the first eight edge groups, aka F8E) is called "freeslice" these days, and you can find many tutorials on YouTube for that. Freeslice doesn't really use any algs.

The second part (for the last four edge groups, aka L4E) isn't really described to any detail on the bigcubes.com website, and you're kinda supposed to just solve it freestyle. The basic method for the L4E is to solve one piece at a time by using slice-flip-slice; since there are eight outer edge pieces to pair up with the middle edge pieces, you might have to use slice-flip-slice up to six times, along with a parity alg for the last two edge pieces (needed half of the time). More advanced methods solve two (or more) pieces at a time. Again, there are tutorials on YouTube. The only alg you have to learn here is a parity alg.

Also, a lot of the algs on the cubingcheatsheet website are bad or sometimes even completely wrong. The presentation is fantastic, the content… not so much. I highly recommend CubeSkills instead. Most of the usefulness of CubeSkills is in the video tutorials, but the cheatsheets there are pretty good too.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
(Was this post merged from a separate thread? Not sure what you're saying or asking.)

The first part of the bigcubes.com edge pairing method (for the first eight edge groups, aka F8E) is called "freeslice" these days, and you can find many tutorials on YouTube for that. Freeslice doesn't really use any algs.

The second part (for the last four edge groups, aka L4E) isn't really described to any detail on the bigcubes.com website, and you're kinda supposed to just solve it freestyle. The basic method for the L4E is to solve one piece at a time by using slice-flip-slice; since there are eight outer edge pieces to pair up with the middle edge pieces, you might have to use slice-flip-slice up to six times, along with a parity alg for the last two edge pieces (needed half of the time). More advanced methods solve two (or more) pieces at a time. Again, there are tutorials on YouTube. The only alg you have to learn here is a parity alg.

Also, a lot of the algs on the cubingcheatsheet website are bad or sometimes even completely wrong. The presentation is fantastic, the content… not so much. I highly recommend CubeSkills instead. Most of the usefulness of CubeSkills is in the video tutorials, but the cheatsheets there are pretty good too.

Thanks for letting me know. (this was moved from a post on the help forum to this thread.)

I find the 3x3 F2L list on the wiki very useful and I think the bigger cube algorithms should be listed on the wiki too, along with their discoverer if known, like here https://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/4x4x4_parity_algorithms#Dedges

ep2

I average about 30s on 3x3, and have started spending a bit of time on 5x5 too, which takes me about 6 minutes. From what I see from splits, the 3x3 part should be about 10% of the time. Which means that I'd need to be a 15s 3x3 solver to be able to get sub 2.5 minutes on 5x5. Am I missing something?

xyzzy

I average about 30s on 3x3, and have started spending a bit of time on 5x5 too, which takes me about 6 minutes. From what I see from splits, the 3x3 part should be about 10% of the time. Which means that I'd need to be a 15s 3x3 solver to be able to get sub 2.5 minutes on 5x5. Am I missing something?
Yes: you're missing big-cube-specific practice.

A very rough guideline is that your 555 times should be around six times of your 333 times with enough practice. If you average 30 seconds on 333, you should aim for 3 minutes on 555.

Reactions: ep2

ep2

Yes: you're missing big-cube-specific practice.

A very rough guideline is that your 555 times should be around six times of your 333 times with enough practice. If you average 30 seconds on 333, you should aim for 3 minutes on 555.

Thanks. I knew I could get times down with more practice, but wondering if I should really try get my 3x3 down first before attempting. Sounds like I can get close enough to a cut off time with where I'm at with 3x3, so will continue on.

Thanks.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Thanks. I knew I could get times down with more practice, but wondering if I should really try get my 3x3 down first before attempting. Sounds like I can get close enough to a cut off time with where I'm at with 3x3, so will continue on.

Thanks.
The 6x rule of thumb is about right, but not by any means a hard limit. I average about 27s on 3x3, and about 2:25 on 5x5, or a multiple of roughly 5.5.

Reactions: ep2

Reizii_

WCA
2019LAWS01
I average about 3:30 on 6x6 and haven't improved in months. I make sure not to turn fast, and my centers are usually around 1:30, with my edges being a little over 1:00 and my 3x3 stage taking about 25-30 seconds. What could I be doing wrong and how can I get to sub-3?

xyzzy

my centers are usually around 1:30, with my edges being a little over 1:00 and my 3x3 stage taking about 25-30 seconds.
… That adds up to 2:55 to 3:00, so aren't you already sub-3?

Edit: My own splits (mean of 12), for reference:

Centres: 62.6 (28.6 F2C, 34.1 L4C)
Edge pairing: 65.9 (50.0 F8E, 15.9 L4E)
333: 24.0

Small sample size, not to be followed off a cliff, etc. My edge pairing is pretty bad and I think centres should take a bit longer than edge pairing for most people.

Last edited:

GAN 356 X

What do you average on 5x5? Im new to bug cubes and am wondering what other average as I average around 4-5:30 mins, depending on the solve. Is this goo door someone who is new or should I practice more often?

jakelevine

WCA
2009LEVI01
What do you average on 5x5? Im new to bug cubes and am wondering what other average as I average around 4-5:30 mins, depending on the solve. Is this goo door someone who is new or should I practice more often?
This depends a lot on what your 3x3 average is. For example, I am at an ao100 on 3x3 of 13.5, and average 1:21-5 depending on the day.

I also practice bigcubes more than I practice 3x3 and from my understanding am relatively much faster at 4-7 than I am at 3x3

Johnreid1729

Can anyone help- very new to this- trying to learn how to solve 5x5, can this be solved? 4 sides are solved and I have this on this side and opposite side?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_9388.JPG
    IMG_9388.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 23