• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

SomeKid2369

I am pretty bad at 5x5. I have a best of 3:07.43 and I average like 3:45 and on my better days 3:30. The problem I have noticed is that I pause a LOT on the first 8 edges for redux. I am somewhat decent at last 4 but first 8 is really bad. I finish centers in about a minute can someone tell me if that might be a problem as well?

WCA
2017BAIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am pretty bad at 5x5. I have a best of 3:07.43 and I average like 3:45 and on my better days 3:30. The problem I have noticed is that I pause a LOT on the first 8 edges for redux. I am somewhat decent at last 4 but first 8 is really bad. I finish centers in about a minute can someone tell me if that might be a problem as well?

For F8E ,you can store your first 4 edges in one layer and then completely flip over the cube to do your last 4 edges during the first 8 edges, instead of just pairing up edges and storing them at random places. This technique can make your look ahead during F8E easier as for the final 4 edges the unpaired edges will be in the back right, back left and in the U layer But, your main improvement will come with just lots and lots of practice. I got my times down from sub-4 to sub-1:40 by just doing lots of solves.
For centers, try to solve them in different ways instead of a particular way (like just using bars), as 5x5 centers can be solved with great flexibility. You can watch example solves form fast 5x5 solvers to see the various ways for solving the centers. The most famous center trick is the 'T- case', where you have a T on one of the centers and to get two bars you can simply find an edges center, move it to the intersected edge (common edge) on the T, move the face by 1/4th turn and then bring the side back.

EG¢υвє13

I’m new to solving the 5x5 and this situation came up. How do I fix this? (Photos attached)

Attachments

• A2358A47-BDE7-4A32-A941-B044F792CC6D.jpeg
    A2358A47-BDE7-4A32-A941-B044F792CC6D.jpeg
    333.6 KB · Views: 8
  • D6B2772A-6D26-4FBD-8503-28CCA18AAD2F.jpeg
    D6B2772A-6D26-4FBD-8503-28CCA18AAD2F.jpeg
    334.4 KB · Views: 6

Jozo_Berk

Hey guys, I'm looking for a method to get faster at 5x5 - my times are around 6 min and I use the reduction method. Any new methods I could use or how could I get faster?

xyzzy

Hey guys, I'm looking for a method to get faster at 5x5 - my times are around 6 min and I use the reduction method. Any new methods I could use or how could I get faster?
There's no shortcut to practice, especially at the beginner level. Check out the CubeSkills playlist too, to make sure you're not doing anything especially inefficiently.

Last edited:

Brandonius

WCA
2018TRUE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm just getting my first magnetic 5x5-7x7, any tips for getting started?
I've practiced 5x5 for a while, Yau5, off and on, and I'm around 1:50, never solved 6x6 or 7x7 before.

The cubes: Moyu Aochuang GTS M, X Man Shadow M, Hays7 M

My 3x3 times are around 12-13 seconds, my 4x4 times are mid-high 40s.

Thanks for any help!

xyzzy

I'm just getting my first magnetic 5x5-7x7, any tips for getting started?
I've practiced 5x5 for a while, Yau5, off and on, and I'm around 1:50, never solved 6x6 or 7x7 before.

The cubes: Moyu Aochuang GTS M, X Man Shadow M, Hays7 M

My 3x3 times are around 12-13 seconds, my 4x4 times are mid-high 40s.

Thanks for any help!
Use reduction with freeslice for 6 and 7, do a thousand solves. Check out the intermediate/advanced playlists on CubeSkills and Kevin Hays's Tuesday Tips series as well.

Rboeglinjr

So I'm playing around with some interesting patterns on the 8x8x8 and I was wondering if anyone knows an algorithm to move the centers on the same face. 5 of the faces are done but the 6th one needs to be shuffled.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Assuming you've done the rest by commutators, you can just shoot to a piece on another face and then shoot to the place you *actually* want to put the centre (this is the same idea as you would do with BLD solving though you're solving to a custom pattern rather than a solved face)

Also, this sub forum is for guides and tutorials; if you want to ask questions, they should go in cubing help or a similar sub forum :)

I keep running into this problem on the pull stage of my 5x5, please help.

image.jpg

Here’s the other side. I also meant pll. I'm positive nobody moved any pieces

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    976.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:

xyzzy

If you want to solve your cube with an OLL/PLL-like method, your only option is to learn more algs. Here's one possible solution (with the red face facing you):

R B 2R U2 2R U2 F2 2R F2 2L' U2 2L U2 2R2 B' R' // parity
2L 2R D2 2L' 2R' U 2L 2R D2 2L' 2R' U' // opposite swaps

(If you don't understand the notation, that doesn't matter; the link above goes to a cube simulation that plays out the moves so you can follow them one by one.)

Alternatively, use the reduction method and… you'll still have to learn some parity alg, but at least the parity algs will be much faster there.