• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

boatj

I was wondering if anyone would happen to know either how to or if it is possible to rotate the 3x3 center of a 5x5x5 90 degrees.
I'm making a pattern on my 5x5x5, and a 3x3 center which is currently:
Y Y Y
W W W
Y Y Y
Which I would like to make:
Y W Y
Y W Y
Y W Y
Without changing any of the other pieces...
Thank you in advance to anyone who answers.

unsolved

I was wondering if anyone would happen to know either how to or if it is possible to rotate the 3x3 center of a 5x5x5 90 degrees.
I'm making a pattern on my 5x5x5, and a 3x3 center which is currently:
Y Y Y
W W W
Y Y Y
Which I would like to make:
Y W Y
Y W Y
Y W Y
Without changing any of the other pieces...
Thank you in advance to anyone who answers.

Is white your top color and yellow your bottom color? If you give me all 25 colors on each of the two faces, and where those faces are with respect to one another (top/bottom or top/front for example) I can give it to my 5x5x5 solving program.

The program solves things like this fairly quickly:

U F D2 B2 2R B2 D2 F2 2L F U'

Code:
Omnia Obtorquebantur 5x5x5 Version 1.3.7, February 25, 2016. Copyright 2015 by Ed Trice.
Note: Lower case letters are single slice turns, not block turns.

-------------------------
                                  |####|####|####|####|####|
                                  |####|OOOO|OOOO|OOOO|####|
      LEFT                         FRONT                        RIGHT                        BACK
      -------------------------    -------------------------    -------------------------    -------------------------
     |&&&&|&&&&|&&&&|&&&&|&&&&|   |OOOO|OOOO|OOOO|OOOO|OOOO|   |XXXX|XXXX|XXXX|XXXX|XXXX|   |^^^^|^^^^|^^^^|^^^^|^^^^|
      -------------------------    -------------------------    -------------------------    -------------------------
     |&&&&|&&&&|&&&&|&&&&|&&&&|   |OOOO|####|####|####|OOOO|   |XXXX|XXXX|XXXX|XXXX|XXXX|   |^^^^|^^^^|^^^^|^^^^|^^^^|
     |&&&&|&&&&|&&&&|&&&&|&&&&|   |OOOO|OOOO|OOOO|OOOO|OOOO|   |XXXX|XXXX|XXXX|XXXX|XXXX|   |^^^^|^^^^|^^^^|^^^^|^^^^|

BOTTOM
                                  |~~~~|~~~~|~~~~|~~~~|~~~~|

Solutions To:   [03 vs. 03 Position # 0001]: Top Center Cubes 07-08-09 vs. Front Center Cubes 07-08-09

Solution [0001] =  U  F' l' F2 D2  [inside 06-TFS] --->  B2 r' B2 D2 F' U'  @ 000000027432411 solved state checks [time = 00:07]
  Solution [0002] =  u  L  f  L2 D2  [inside 06-TFS] --->  R2 b  R2 D2 L  u'  @ 000000032414034 solved state checks [time = 00:08]
  Solution [0003] =  u' R' f' R2 D2  [inside 06-TFS] --->  L2 b' L2 D2 R' u   @ 000000033608628 solved state checks [time = 00:08]
  Solution [0004] =  F  U' l  U2 B2  [inside 06-TFS] --->  D2 r  D2 B2 U' F'  @ 000000050998293 solved state checks [time = 00:13]
  Solution [0005] =  F  U' B2 D2 l   [inside 06-TFS] --->  D2 B2 U2 r  U' F'  @ 000000051037250 solved state checks [time = 00:13]
  Solution [0006] =  F' U  B2 D2 r'  [inside 06-TFS] --->  D2 B2 U2 l' U  F   @ 000000052855592 solved state checks [time = 00:13]
  Solution [0007] =  b' R  d' R2 B2  [inside 06-TFS] --->  L2 u' L2 B2 R  b   @ 000000065867523 solved state checks [time = 00:17]
  Solution [0008] =  b  L' d  L2 B2  [inside 06-TFS] --->  R2 u  R2 B2 L' b'  @ 000000067891245 solved state checks [time = 00:17]
  Solution [0009] =  b  L' B2 R2 d   [inside 06-TFS] --->  R2 B2 L2 u  L' b'  @ 000000067914452 solved state checks [time = 00:17]

But I'll need to know the disposition of all cubes before it can start.

Last edited:

Torch

WCA
2014GOSL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So, I was watching videos of 7x7 solves, and I noticed basically everyone builds 5 bars of 5 to make their centers. I don't do that, though. I make the inner 3x3 center like on a 5x5 first, then expand to a full center in one of 2 ways: either I add 2 bars of 3 to the ends of the inner center, then add 2 bars of 5 on the outside, or I add a bar, then a bar of 4 to make a 4x4 group, then another bar of 4, and finish with a 5-bar.

Is this any good? Should I switch to the other way or keep doing this? For reference, I average about 4:40 with splits of 2:25-1:50-25.

Lykos

So, I was watching videos of 7x7 solves, and I noticed basically everyone builds 5 bars of 5 to make their centers. I don't do that, though. I make the inner 3x3 center like on a 5x5 first, then expand to a full center in one of 2 ways: either I add 2 bars of 3 to the ends of the inner center, then add 2 bars of 5 on the outside, or I add a bar, then a bar of 4 to make a 4x4 group, then another bar of 4, and finish with a 5-bar.

Is this any good? Should I switch to the other way or keep doing this? For reference, I average about 4:40 with splits of 2:25-1:50-25.

I am by no means an expert on big cubes, I am not even sub 10 on 7x7, so take my observations with a grain of salt.

But from what I observed in example solves is that good people often don't use any strict method. They use whatever is available and try to build a center as efficiently as possible. If it's easy to build a 5x5 center, your method might be the way to go. If you see 4 different 2x1 bars on the cube, it might be good to build a fifth 2x1 bar and align them to get a 5x2 block. If a 3x2 block in the corner is already solved somewhere, it might be good to put a 2x1 bar to the center and then align it to get a 3x3 block in the corner. From my observations, it seems like 90% of the time, good people build 5x1 bars and that is kind of the default strategy. However, if other blocks are easier to build, that might be the way to go. But as I said, those are just my observations, I am not an expert myself.

Last edited:
WCA
2015PEAR02
YouTube
Visit Channel

That is a very good question

sqAree

WCA
2015JAEH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Does someone have reconstructions of very fast 5x5 speedsolves? I'd like to learn some tricks and see where I am inefficient.

Also, my 5x5 splits for centers / edges / 3x3 stage are: 1:40 / 1:55 / 0:40 (~ a typical 4:15 solve by me). As comparison, on 3x3 I average 16-17. Where to improve?

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
Does someone have reconstructions of very fast 5x5 speedsolves? I'd like to learn some tricks and see where I am inefficient.

Also, my 5x5 splits for centers / edges / 3x3 stage are: 1:40 / 1:55 / 0:40 (~ a typical 4:15 solve by me). As comparison, on 3x3 I average 16-17. Where to improve?
Well, I'm a good deal slower than you at 3x3 (you've surpassed me so fast this year) but, even though my 5x5 times are not quite where I want them (that would be around low 2min and I'm now averaging low 3min with some sub-3 min solves here and there), I think your times right now are still not at a point where your inefficiencies are in any particular stage of the solve but in all of them. As a comparison, my splits are around 1:00-1:10, 1:20-1:30 & 0:35-0:45.
So, I'd say that just by solving you have a lot of room for improvement still. But if you can post a video of one solve maybe I and others can give some more specific help.

M

Malkom

I have noticed that many fast solvers (mostly big cube solvers) don't really use the left (non-dominant) hand during solves and just hold the cube with it. I wonder if this turning style is "the optimal" or if it's just a coincidence. I have also noted that most people faster than me (sub 16 and beyond) only really use there index finger and thumb to turn, when I look at how I solve all my fingers are slopping all over the place.

Aaron Lau

Hey quick question, what are approximately the splits for a 5x5 solve that is for a 2 min solve?

Aaron Lau

Really? I average low 1:30s and splits for a 1:30 solve for me are around 30-45-15, and I don't necessarily think I'm that bad at edges...
my splits are about 45,55 and 20+
so that seems kinda disproportionate.....

SlightScope

I have a 5x5 shengshou. I average around 6 minutes and i use the method where you make the centres and then use the top and bottom to place solved edges. How do i get faster? please help.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would suggest switching to either the freeslice method or to yau5 or hoya5. Practice with these methods for a few months and you should be well on your way to sub-2:30.
When asking questions like this, it would help to know what you average on 3x3 and what your splits are for 5x5: eg.
centers- 3:00
edges- 2:15
3x3 stage- 0:45

Also, as you seem to be new here, this sub-forum is where people make guides and how-to's, not request for them.
How-to's, Guides, etc.

Here you can find a compilation of general how-to's, tutorials, guides, etc. This is not the place to request help or ask questions!
This belongs in this thread, https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/threads/big-cube-discussion-5x5-6x6-7x7-etc.34858/ , though I may be mistaken. You can also find some useful information in that thread.
Either way, you should have posted in the Cubing Help & Questions Forum:
https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/forums/cubing-help-questions.8/

TheoLyh

WCA
2016LYHO01
I just wondered...What's the best way to get faster at edges. its my worst part of the solve example : 5x5 splits 35/50/20
It's maybe just practise...;)