• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Big Cube Discussion (5x5 / 6x6 / 7x7 / etc)

Queenofkings

I used to solve the 5x5 by doing the 4x4 first (ignoring the middle slice) then solving the 3x3 (big corners) to get the edges. That would bring me to the attached photo where I had a technique to swap the center edges until they were complete, finally solving the 3x3 with big centers to finish. That was years ago and I’ve forgotten what technique I used - muscle memory is giving me: u M u’ M’ after rotating the outer slices to get the configuration I want but of course that algorithm messes with all the centers so even if I get one right the others are screwed up. Does anyone have a suggestion? All of the center fixes I can find are for before the edges are done.

Attachments

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
YouTube
Visit Channel
I used to solve the 5x5 by doing the 4x4 first (ignoring the middle slice) then solving the 3x3 (big corners) to get the edges. That would bring me to the attached photo where I had a technique to swap the center edges until they were complete, finally solving the 3x3 with big centers to finish. That was years ago and I’ve forgotten what technique I used - muscle memory is giving me: u M u’ M’ after rotating the outer slices to get the configuration I want but of course that algorithm messes with all the centers so even if I get one right the others are screwed up. Does anyone have a suggestion? All of the center fixes I can find are for before the edges are done.
Go to 5:10 in the video. He uses a 6x6 for his example, but it works for any big cube.

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for the suggestion, but that disrupts the edges. I’m looking for a way to move the center pieces without having to redo the edges.
It is much better and faster to solve the centers before the edges on big cubes. The only real exception is the Yau method and even then, that's just a few edges, not all of them.

xyzzy

Commutators. Some examples:
3R U 3R' 2U 3R U' 3R' 2U'
3R U 2R U' 3R' U 2R' U'

Queenofkings

It is much better and faster to solve the centers before the edges on big cubes. The only real exception is the Yau method and even then, that's just a few edges, not all of them.
[/QUOT
Yeah that’s how I do it now, I used to use the 4x4 method I described when I taught other people how to do it it b/c it was easier for them sometimes.

ABCubeTutor

YouTube
Visit Channel

my new method solves this, and also offers a new way to solve the 5x5x5. https://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/ABCube_Method

not to pat my own back, but there is a new method for solving big cubes, and it undoes parity and eliminates memorizing algorithms. it is https://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/ABCube_Method it is not great for speedcubing, but excels at large cubes, it does the centers last because the parities can be erased by a simple center slice turn,

KFCubes

WCA
2019GALE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was struggling a lot with l4e on 5x5. I watched a Cubeskills video on it, and it was really helpful, but it was still primarily focused on slice flip slice. Is there another method for l4e that I should be using?

hi, so I am wondering what are the best commutators for the 6x6 last two centers, mainly for the last 2 center edges (2 on each center need to be solved)

thanks a lot!

edit: didnt know how this worked, this was my first time posting something. i will ask in a different forum

Last edited:

MJS Cubing

WCA
2019SULL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi, welcome to the forums! This video may help, not sure what level you are at.
You may have better luck asking this question in a mega thread, and you can find these by searching in the search bar. Here's a big cube discussion thread that I'm sure will help you.

Hi, welcome to the forums! This video may help, not sure what level you are at.
You may have better luck asking this question in a mega thread, and you can find these by searching in the search bar. Here's a big cube discussion thread that I'm sure will help you.
thanks! will do!

okay i probably sound like a complete beginner asking this but what are some commutators for 6x6/7x7 last two centres? mainly for the very last part. also this is my first reply in a thread so please tell me if I did something wrong

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
YouTube
Visit Channel
okay i probably sound like a complete beginner asking this but what are some commutators for 6x6/7x7 last two centres? mainly for the very last part. also this is my first reply in a thread so please tell me if I did something wrong
Go to about 5:10 in this video. He uses a 6x6 as an example, but it works for any big cube.