• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Big Cube Discussion (5x5 / 6x6 / 7x7 / etc)

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
imo it's best to learn 4x4 first, because the center building and edge pairing are simpler and will get you ready for 5x5 and up. The one parity alg that 4x4 has that 5x5 doesn't have is 7 moves (the same length as a sune, and maybe an even simpler alg to memorize). The only other drawback to learning 4x4 first is that there aren't fixed centers, so you have to know your color scheme well. imo the advantages of learning 4x4 first outweigh the disadvantages.

ep2

For larger cubes, like 11x11 and above, I've seen people remove the middle caps, to make it easier to count rows. Does this make it easier or harder to solve in terms of parity?

Jupiter

Ive really wanted to get into solving bigger cubes but I average like 45 on 3x3 which basically means i have like no chance of getting a solve under like 1 minute which honestly really discourages me. I have 4x4-6x6 but ive never attempted to speedsolve them for that reason.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Ive really wanted to get into solving bigger cubes but I average like 45 on 3x3 which basically means i have like no chance of getting a solve under like 1 minute which honestly really discourages me. I have 4x4-6x6 but ive never attempted to speedsolve them for that reason.
Slow solving of big cubes can be really relaxing. Go ahead and solve them, don't worry about time at first.

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just keep practicing. You'll get there;) It does take a decent amount of practice to be sub 1 on 4x4. For 5x5, it takes a ton of practice, and if you're sub 1, you can win smaller comps. For 6x6, no one has proved it possible to be sub 1, as the world record average is 1:15

WCA
2017BAIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am currently around 1:30 in 5x5, but want to get around 1:10. My edges are somewhat fast, but my L4C are somewhat slow, I do lots of rotations while doing them and I don't feel like I am doing those effectively all the times, also can learning the L2E algs help me?

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, those are essentially the "world class" barriers. They will require a lot of dedicated practice and learning, it is not an easy task whatsoever. You will also need to get faster on 3x3 to achieve those goals. Spamming solves IS NOT the way to go.
imo the world-class barrier is more like sub 1:50/2:40 (roughly top 100 in the world for both) I know @cuber314159 is sub 2:00/sub 3:00 on 6/7 and he probably got there mostly by spamming solves. To get beyond sub 2:00/3:00 you would have to learn more advanced techniques and spam solves

I am currently around 1:30 in 5x5, but want to get around 1:10. My edges are somewhat fast, but my L4C are somewhat slow, I do lots of rotations while doing them and I don't feel like I am doing those effectively all the times, also can learning the L2E algs help me?
Watch walkthroughs from world-class 5x5'ers and learn from them. Then, do untimed solves, almost like you're giving a walkthrough to someone, and work out what's most efficient in terms of moves and rotations. Then, try to incorporate those things you learned into your timed solves.

WCA
2019HENK01
ok sub-1:50 and sub-2:40/ ~top100 or even slower is definitely not world class.
I would say around sub-1:30 and sub-2:10 official Mo3 is world class in 6x6 and 7x7.

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
ok sub-1:50 and sub-2:40/ ~top100 or even slower is definitely not world class.
I would say around sub-1:30 and sub-2:10 official Mo3 is world class in 6x6 and 7x7.
So 6 people are world class at 6x6 and 7 people are world class at 7x7? I don't know, I guess what world class is depends on your opinion, but that seems pretty harsh.