• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
I’m really bad at big cubes the higher I get the worse I am. Pls give tips on how to do 6x6 and 7x7 in under 10 minutes 5x5 tips would also be nice too.

Brady2335

Learn commutators for the last centres on 6x6 and 7x7 and do freeslice. Also try learning r u variations for some of the harder OLLs and PLLs :)

suteytooty

Hope this is the right place to get some help but I've just learned to solve the 5x5 and I've done it to completion three times except every time I have two adjacent block of edges that are swapped. As it stands now in the top layer I have a green bar in the red side, red bar in the screen side and other side is complete. Is there a 5x5 alg to sort this? Thanks

cuber314159

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Norther...
WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hope this is the right place to get some help but I've just learned to solve the 5x5 and I've done it to completion three times except every time I have two adjacent block of edges that are swapped. As it stands now in the top layer I have a green bar in the red side, red bar in the screen side and other side is complete. Is there a 5x5 alg to sort this? Thanks
Same as 4x4 parity

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
So like this, but on a 5x5? That’s a PLL parity that you can’t get on a properly assembled 5x5. I think you can switch the center caps around and resolve it, but I’m not 100% sure exactly how.

Edit: cycling 4 center caps by 1/4 turn will fix it.

image.jpg

Last edited:

suteytooty

Yeah exactly like that. Does that mean the cube wasn't set up right? Its not mega expensive - it's a Yuxin.

Will a parity alg sort it or will I have to pop the pieces out everytime I solve? Thanks for your help.

I'll try adjusting the centre caps a try again.

Last edited:

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Yeah exactly like that. Does that mean the cube wasn't set up right? Its not mega expensive - it's a Yuxin.

Will a parity alg sort it or will I have to pop the pieces out everytime I solve? Thanks for your help.
Either disassemble the puzzle and reassemble it in a solved state, or take off four centers and cycle them by 1/4 turn (e.g. blue on white, white on green, green on yellow, yellow on blue) and re-solve. Either way once you get it to a fully solved state you won’t need to disassemble it to solve it, and there is no alg that will just switch two edges like that on a 5x5.

PEN.gu1nCXI

Also, guys, I'm a noob at big cubes. Do you have any advice on how to be CN for the centers on a 4x4x4? I'm failing at the colour scheme right now. For example, I know that White and Yellow are opposite, Blue and Green are opposite, and Red and Orange are opposite. However, I don't know for instance where red should be relative to blue unless I have another solved cube for reference of the colour scheme. Any advice/techniques on how to grasp the colour scheme on a 4x4x4?

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Also, guys, I'm a noob at big cubes. Do you have any advice on how to be CN for the centers on a 4x4x4? I'm failing at the colour scheme right now. For example, I know that White and Yellow are opposite, Blue and Green are opposite, and Red and Orange are opposite. However, I don't know for instance where red should be relative to blue unless I have another solved cube for reference of the colour scheme. Any advice/techniques on how to grasp the colour scheme on a 4x4x4?

1. Practice
2. Look for a corner when you are ready to start your fourth center that has two of the colors you’ve already solved on it: if you get the third one in the right place relative to those two, you’re good
3. What I do, which is not optimal. Keep opposites opposite (easy, like you say) and when you get to placing your first f2l pair look to see if it lines up. If it goes in properly you’re set. If only one side will line up then insert it so the R or L side matches and the F or B doesn’t, then do Uw2 Mw2 Uw2 Mw2 to quickly switch your F and B centers and cross edges. It’s a bit of a cheap trick, and costs me a second or two, but I’ve got bigger fish to fry at 1:25.

PEN.gu1nCXI

1. Practice
2. Look for a corner when you are ready to start your fourth center that has two of the colors you’ve already solved on it: if you get the third one in the right place relative to those two, you’re good
3. What I do, which is not optimal. Keep opposites opposite (easy, like you say) and when you get to placing your first f2l pair look to see if it lines up. If it goes in properly you’re set. If only one side will line up then insert it so the R or L side matches and the F or B doesn’t, then do Uw2 Mw2 Uw2 Mw2 to quickly switch your F and B centers and cross edges. It’s a bit of a cheap trick, and costs me a second or two, but I’ve got bigger fish to fry at 1:25.

I gave it a try and it works great. At least the first and second one does. I am quite new to the Yau method and haven't been practicing that much so I will take your first advice and start practicing. anyway, thank you for the advice. The colour scheme has been perplexing me a lot lately as I try to wrap my mind around the fact that a 4x4x4 has no center pieces. I should probably start practicing now. btw I do know how to solve the 5x5x5, as Redux 5 is more straightforward to me.