• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

better or worse in competition?

better or worse at competition?

• Total voters

CAT13

WCA
2008MCCO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was just wondering if most people do better or worse when they are at a competition. I just got back from the cincinnati summer competition where I basically blew away some of my pb's (4x4 average beat my previous pb single) and other stuff like that. And basically the same thing happened at the cincinnati spring comp.
I think that most people do worse, but I am just curious.

JBCM627

WCA
2006MERT01
Usually I do a bit better than my at-home averages, BLD being the exception at the cincy competition. By at-home averages, I mean averages of 12 or more (except BLD). My 2x2 avg was a PB avg at Cincinnati as well, not single solve though.

hawkmp4

I don't know how I'll do- my first competition will be Boulder 2008. But, judging from past experience, I'll do as well or better than at home. I've performed music in front of people for...years. 10 years or so. I'm used to people watching me.

Inusagi

I also got some pb's at a competition. And for some funny reason, I was better at the competition, except in the final (My hands were shaking too much).

H

hdskull

3 seconds worse. Have been getting only 2 seconds worse though, lol.

PCwizCube

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
When I went to my first (and only :() competition, I got a PB 3/5 solve average. :confused: Well I was improving very fast at that time (averaging around 35 seconds) and I didn't do a lot of averages at home.

It was in April, so I don't remember well how nervous I was. In the videos that my dad took of me, I seemed pretty calm and smiled. The audience wasn't that big anyway and there were a lot of people that were worse than me.

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Better for everything because I am more focussed, the temperature is higher (making cubes turn better) and the light is better. Also, I do warmups during the competition and have a lot of fun which also helps your times according to some research I did.

But sometimes I do worse because I have to use bad puzzles (main speedcubes go missing sometimes) or get stressed (FMC, blind)