• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Best ZBLL Recognition Methods

EvanCuber

So I've finished with PLL and OLL (technically I have 4 OLL algorithms left that I am really reluctant to learn) and so now I am moving on to ZBLL. I've decided to start with T-ZBLL and all the resources I've found say I should recognize the case by recognizing the COLL case and then look at the position of the UFR edges to identify the case. But I've found it easier to to look at the pattern of the blocks on the U layer (kind of like PLL recognition). Is this a good way to do it? Or should I make a habit out of the first way of doing it?

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There are various systems to recognise ZBLL cases.

Chris Tran has a good video where he gave a seminar in US Nats, where he explained about the existence of some of the systems to recognize.
Like recognition blocks, or recognizing it like a corner twisted PLL or recognising it as a COLL specific case.

On a long train journey, Smashin' PBs one a stop
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I've finished with PLL and OLL (technically I have 4 OLL algorithms left that I am really reluctant to learn) and so now I am moving on to ZBLL. I've decided to start with T-ZBLL and all the resources I've found say I should recognize the case by recognizing the COLL case and then look at the position of the UFR edges to identify the case. But I've found it easier to to look at the pattern of the blocks on the U layer (kind of like PLL recognition). Is this a good way to do it? Or should I make a habit out of the first way of doing it?
I'd say recognizing the ZBLL as a twisted corner PLL is the best for T, U and L cases. for H and Pi, It's best to just recog the COLL+ patterns.
(I don't really have that much of experience using ZBLL since I know only the T set and some other random easy algs from other sets so someone experienced like @PapaSmurf or @GenTheThief might prove me wrong lol)

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
Use twisty PLL recognition. The way you’re supposed to do it is you recognize the OCLL then CP so you know what kinda of twisted PLL the ZB case is (EPLL, Diag, or Adj). Then you mentally twist the UFR or UFL corner and look at the that mentally twisted corner and the two adjacent edges and recognize the case like a PLL since you recognize the 1x2x2 block in relation to the headlights (if they exist).

Tao Yu

WCA
2012YUTA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm a fan of block recognition.

I think there is definitely more than one viable recognition method for ZBLL. If you find that a certain method works for you, you should consider that you might just be right and everyone else is wrong. However there are a couple of things I believe very strongly about recognition:
  • It's really really important to do a lot of training on ZBLL scrambles (Use either my trainer or https://bestsiteever.ru/zbll/). You have to get used to recognizing under the conditions of a real solve. This gives you a sense of what the real difficulties of recognition are on the practical level and gives you a chance to understand for yourself what works and what doesn't, and why.
  • You should take advantage of easy angles. In my opinion, for certain cases from certain angles, block recognition is way better than everything else. So for those cases you should just use block recognition, even if you find you generally prefer e.g twisted PLL recognition. In general I think it's good to use different recognition methods depending on the case and angle. If you train a lot you might find yourself naturally picking up a range of different techniques.
  • No case should be learned in isolation. You need to know the differences between any given case to all the cases that look somewhat similar. Oftentimes I find process of elimination is a very reasonable way to recognize cases. Again, training is the best way to learn about these things.
Edit: Although, considering you still at a level where you haven't learned full OLL, probably you don't need to get overzealous of having a completely optimal ZBLL recognition system. If you just have one method that works, that will probably be enough for T-ZBLLs to be faster in solves. As time goes on you can fix up your recognition and learn more angles etc.

Last edited:

ruffleduck

YouTube
Visit Channel
I would recommend twisty PLL recognition. Not only is it a consistent system that lets you recognize from any angle, but also it makes it a lot easier to categorize the cases. It's also good to recognize blocks and look for patterns for some cases, so that you can more quickly determine the case without having to mentally twist the corners.

You might want to check out my thread on naming ZBLL's after PLL

Also please do check out my WIP ZBLL sheet, which has algs I carefully picked out and is organized specifically for twisty PLL users.