• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Best WCA events. poll and debate.

What is the best event

• 3x3

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • 2x2

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • 4x4

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • 5x5

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • 6x6

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • 7x7

• skewb

• squan

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • fewest moves 3x3

• 3x3 oh

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • pryaminx

• megaminx

• 3x3 bld

• Multi blind

• 5x5 bld

• 4x4 bld

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • clock

Votes: 11 16.4%

• Total voters

SH03L4C3

The orange centerpiece from your main 3x3
And the 3x3 you choose to use for the photo is one of the most expensive out there
oh how I love Amazon

Last edited:
A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11
This thread may be deleted I asked one of the staff what they thought. I do think it's fine to have new one every once in a while cause we get members regularly. Also the other can be outdated like @Jack314 said
Fine, but I'm picking clock just to troll.
Looks like somebody already picked it.

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
My favorite event and the best event are 2 different things. 2x2 is my favorite event because it is so quick. You can grind through hundreds of solves in a couple hours. I think that the best event overall is either 4x4 or 5x5, but I'm leaning towards 5x5 because of double parity on 4x4.

Going by these qualifications:
1. There are a lot of people who average under 1 minute, so it is a spectator-friendly event (assuming you're watching high-level solvers).
2. There are a decent amount of options, though as @Sub1Hour said, a lot more can be done on 6x6 and 7x7 centers than 5x5 centers, but L2C and L2E on 5x5 are simple enough that they can be done algorithmically pretty easy.
3. It is more on the complex level as far as speedsolving events go, but nothing compared to the big blinds. It isn't something that most new competitors will be competing in in their first competition, but maybe after 2-3 comps.
4. There is absolutely no luck, because there is a very slim chance that there will be a center already done, like on Max Park's former 4x4 WR single.
5. I think that there is a lot of room for improvement in almost every event (except for things like 2x2, pyraminx, and skewb singles).
Here’s my opinion on why 5x5 is the “best event.” (Make sure to read the post that I quoted in my post.) Something I didn’t mention in this post is that I think that there isn’t a best event, but people can have their own opinions. If there was an objectively best event, then there would be no point in anybody practicing anything except said event.

Also, can somebody figure out the odds of a solved 5x5 center, like I mentioned in #4?

Last edited:
YouTube
Visit Channel
Recently I've been doing FMC a lot, and currently it is a my favorite event because it requires more creativity and it needs more thought rather than mindlessly turning during a speedsolve. You can learn algs, but ultimately it comes down on thinking outside of the box, which is something that no other WCA event has.

xyzzy

(Make sure to read the post that I quoted in my post.)
The default quoting functionality doesn't nest quotes, but you can explicitly edit them in yourself if they're relevant. (Old forums nested quotes by default and it led to posts getting ever larger as people replied to each other.) Anyway.

Also, can somebody figure out the odds of a solved 5x5 center, like I mentioned in #4?
With random-state scrambles
Probability of a specific centre being solved: 1 / C(24,4)^2 = 1 / 112911876
Probability of any of the six centres being solved: approximately 6 / 112911876 = 1 / 18818646

With random-move scrambles (this is what is used in the WCA and in every timer you use right now)
Specific centre: approx 66 / 6000000 ~ 1 / 90000
Any of six centres: approx 43 / 1000000 ~ 1 / 23000
(source: experiment I did in 2017)
(this is why I keep saying that pure random-move scrambles, at the current default length of 60 moves, are garbage for 555)

For comparison:
On 333: fixed-colour cross skip is 1 / 190080 and CN cross skip is approx 1 / 31703.
On 444: fixed-colour first centre skip is 1 / 1771; CN first centre skip is approx 1 / 300; fixed-colours F2C skip is 1 / 8580495; CN F2C skip is approx 1 / 2900000.

But that aside, I find the assertion that there is "absolutely no luck" to be quite strange. Even if it's not a fully skipped first centre, a first centre that just takes 0-3 moves to solve (~1/339 chance with random-move scrambles) is still quite easy to one-look, and is not nearly as rare as a full centre skip. The luck factor manifests not in the form of full skipped steps, but in how each step breaks down into many smaller substeps. Since there are many more of those, there's a correspondingly greater contribution to variance in solve times.

Last edited: