• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Best time to start solving cross on the bottom?

jms

I was wondering when the best time is to start doing this.

My cross is pretty terrible when I do it on the top, but when I try it on the bottom I am even worse.

Do you think it is worth doing asap, or should I wait till I have got as fast as I can solving it on the top?

When I try to solve on the bottom my times go up by like 30 seconds.

jms

I just laughed out loud.

Just start doing it. Especially if you aren't fast at cross yet anyway.

My cross is so awful. I am finding it quite difficult to learn how to do it properly.

I learnt 4LLL in a few hours but this I'm finding this much harder.

EvilGnome6

Premium Member
WCA
2014DECO01
I learnt 4LLL in a few hours but this I'm finding this much harder.

It is much harder. I've been solving for over 6 months and I still struggle with finding an efficient cross solution on a tough scramble.

One benefit of doing cross on bottom is that the solved pieces get moved out of the way and unsolved pieces get moved to the top and sides. That makes it easier to spot the pieces you need.

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
Build up to it. Do as much as you can with your eyes shut so you can concentrate on tracking pieces confidently.

Mozart

Learn some basic cross techniques from youtube videos, and go through lots of walkthrough solves by good cubers. Try to learn and really understand how each solution affects the cross pieces. Automatically your brain will pick up on it

jms

Thanks for the replies... I've switched to cross on bottom now.

I'm trying to unlearn the colour scheme since it is now swapped round.

jms

OK.. glad I switched to solving the cross on the bottom.

Just got a PB for ao5, ao10 and single.