• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Best equipment to use for recording cubing videos?

Akuma

WCA
2010COST01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What is the best video quality-wise recording equipment for making cubing videos?

I've been looking into some of the HD camera stuff and I am far form impressed by the quality. Cameras such as Mini DV's and handycams cost in the range from $300-$500 and I have to say that I am rather unimpressed by the video quality considering the cost.

What media do you use for recroding cubing videos and are you content with the quality?
If yes then pleale let me know which equipment you know (brand, model etc)

YouTube seems to only support 30 FPS so a camera that records at a higher framerate than say 60FPS seems to be a waste of money.

Which to do you suggest is the best video equipment for recording cubing videos?

Akuma

WCA
2010COST01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How do DSLRs fair up against some of those Higher-End ( >600 USD) cameras?

Some of the image quality stuff I've seen from DSLRs such as the Higher-End DSLRs seem to be quite amazing, such as the Canon EOS 7D.

Would anyone recommend any of those?

RTh

YouTube
Visit Channel
I use an HD webcam to film my videos. It has a 1080p sensor, but don't usually get to 1080p since it takes much space for just a few minutes. It films pretty well in 720p but only with daylight, at night it slows down a bit. The color is usually good, but sometimes it goes... wrong xd

It's a Microsoft Lifecam Studio. It cost me about 40€ + shipping, pretty much worth it.

Anyway if you want an actual camera try getting a good one.

Zarxrax

If you only need to record some specific stuff, and you have a need for some particularly high quality footage, you might consider renting a camera. Cameras that record at higher framerates are most definitely not a waste of money. The advantage of those cameras is that the footage can then be slowed down, so you get smooth slow motion. This is important for something like cubing, because 30 frames per second just cant capture the speed of cubing very well.

n00bcub3r

Is a Canon 5D Mark II good, because my dad has one and he also has a like ef lens 24-70 i think, so would that be good?

radmin

WCA
2010HARD02
I use the Sony Bloggie Duo. It was $169 and has a display on the front and back. It can mount to a tripod and has USB.
It records HD and has HDMI out (playback only).
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0356957

If you are a musician and want to also make videos of you playing, I'd look at the Zoom HD. It's will capture better sound and it's HDMI can be used for a monitor in real time. It's $284.00.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/cart/view-...odeID=502394&HUCT=1&newItems=U24OIHPY6BVF05,1

I also picked up this desktop tripod for only $2 . It gets the job done.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0342746

Me

WCA
2006WRIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What media do you use for recording cubing videos and are you content with the quality?
If yes then please let me know which equipment you know (brand, model etc)

I use a Canon Vixia HF10, I've used lower models on the Vixia line and the difference in image quality is negligible but the control over this image is noticeable. I've also used higher models on the Vixia line and the image quality and control is very noticeable.

Any tripod more or less works, just don't go too cheap.

If you want good audio control, I use an entry level shotgun mic from Audio-Technica.

Hardware is only half the equation, need decent editing software.
iMovie10 works well for most of my smaller projects, can do complicated ones, but takes much longer.
Otherwise I use Adobe Premiere Pro CS4, be careful with CS5.5 you need 64-bit OS.
And don't look at Final Cut X too much, it's basically iMovie with a few more controls, Final Cut 7 is really good though.

YouTube seems to only support 30 FPS so a camera that records at a higher framerate than say 60FPS seems to be a waste of money.
I think you're confusing 60fps with 60i, and you can usually notice a difference between 30fps and 60i.

Between 100 and 600 the quality doesn't differ much.
No. The quality differs immensely amongst cameras in that range. It doesn't differ as much between $400 and $600.

MalusDB

YouTube
Visit Channel
I saw 100 to 600 and freaked out, then realised it was in dollars lol. I would think that somewhere around £100 is probably gonna fetch you quite a good camera, but I really do not know too much about photography.

Akuma

WCA
2010COST01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is a Canon 5D Mark II good, because my dad has one and he also has a like ef lens 24-70 i think, so would that be good?

A Canon EOS 5D is a professional line of SLR cameras.
I'm not sure if it can support video recording since it's kinda of an old camera.

You might want to ask your dad if lending that camera is okay concidering that it costs nearly $5000 excluding the lens...