• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Best cube for a mosaic?

M

Malkom

rubiks cube mosaics seems pretty interesting, but since I'm economic (read cheap) I wondered what cube would be the cheapest for any given resolution.
I barely researched this but here's the results so far
Guanlong ~0.4$/tile
Shengshou 2x2 ~2$/tile
Shengshou 4x4 ~0.6$/tile
Shengshou 5x5 ~0.4$/tile
Shengshou 6x6 ~0.6$/tile
Shengshou 7x7 ~0.7$/tile
(The results may be wrong due to lazy calculations and currency conversion)

So far the guanlong seems to be the best choice since it's the cheapest alternative and also gives the "artist" more freedom in choosing the resolution of the mosiac. The larger tiles also means the mosaic will be bigger and look more like an "art piece" than a book sized mosaic would.

YouCubing

WCA
2015JOIN01
7x7 and up probably aren't a good idea since the outer layers are bigger. the cubes you mentioned aren't the cheapest either (except the guanlong). here are my calculations, using the cheapest cubes on thecubicle.us:
cubicle 1x1: 2.50 per tile
qiyi qidi s 2x2: .75 per tile
mofang jiaoshi mf3rs 3x3: .24 per tile
kungfu cangfeng 4x4: .37 per tile
mofang jiaoshi mf5 5x5: .36 per tile
cyclone boys g6 6x6: .50 per tile

so basically the MF3RS (3x3). probably because 3x3s are more popular so companies are always trying to make a cheaper 3x3 so people get them for MBLD :p

Gold Cuber

WCA
2017SIMC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I reasurched for you. different plaess have different prices
at speedcubeshop: cyclone boyz mini is the cheapest, at $3.91 AUD /$2.96 USD (per cube) but cheapest normal size cube is guanlong at $5.24 AUD / $3.97 USD (per cube) but the Qiyi sail is the same price and the sail is much bigger so it will cover up more, but if you are doing a complex one best not do this and use mini cyclone boyz but if basic use sail

at thecubicle.us: cheapest 3x3 are $5.28 AUD /$ 4.00 USD (per cube)
if you want me to reasurch another store tell me

Gold Cuber

WCA
2017SIMC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
7x7 and up probably aren't a good idea since the outer layers are bigger. the cubes you mentioned aren't the cheapest either (except the guanlong). here are my calculations, using the cheapest cubes on thecubicle.us:
cubicle 1x1: 2.50 per tile
qiyi qidi s 2x2: .75 per tile
mofang jiaoshi mf3rs 3x3: .24 per tile
kungfu cangfeng 4x4: .37 per tile
mofang jiaoshi mf5 5x5: .36 per tile
cyclone boys g6 6x6: .50 per tile

so basically the MF3RS (3x3). probably because 3x3s are more popular so companies are always trying to make a cheaper 3x3 so people get them for MBLD :p
yes, but at cubicle then only reason mf3rs is cheaper than the others is because it is on sale

M

Malkom

could you post a picture on here of your mosaic when your done?
I don't think its something i will do to soon, maybe when i get better at BLD so I have somewhat of an excuse for a 50$+ 3x3 purchase.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You can get 203 QiYi Sails for $1.21 per cube ($0.13 per tile) including shipping to the US at zcube.hk. I made a spreadsheet a while ago with the price for everywhere from 100-210 Sails, and at the time, buying 203 gave the best price per cube (shipping costs are really wonky; it's $20 cheaper to buy 198 cubes than it is to buy 197 cubes for some reason). The spreadsheet no longer seems up to date as the shipping seems to have gotten even cheaper, but the general trend seems to be that it's cheapest to buy right around 200 cubes (but not 197 or less).

Gold Cuber

WCA
2017SIMC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You can get 203 QiYi Sails for $1.21 per cube ($0.13 per tile) including shipping to the US at zcube.hk. I made a spreadsheet a while ago with the price for everywhere from 100-210 Sails, and at the time, buying 203 gave the best price per cube (shipping costs are really wonky; it's $20 cheaper to buy 198 cubes than it is to buy 197 cubes for some reason). The spreadsheet no longer seems up to date as the shipping seems to have gotten even cheaper, but the general trend seems to be that it's cheapest to buy right around 200 cubes (but not 197 or less).
Now I am also looking for a cheap cube for puzzle mods and zcube.hk helped a lot