• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Bell Curve Cubing compared

Jezzular

Bell Curve.png

I wondered what ELO in Chess i would have, if i can solve the Cube in X Seconds. So I took the Chess Data Base and compared it to the WCA Data Base.
Aferwards I did this for Runners too.
For example: Around 9-10% of all Chess Players have an ELO of 2000 or higher. This is true for 14 Sec (Ao5) Cubers. And also for 3h10min Marathoners.
With the table above, you can compare yourself with other Sports.

SnowyDay

Interesting table!

I wonder how comparable these disciplines really are. For sure, there are pros and cons for the comparison.

SenorJuan

An interesting bit of work, and it does raise plenty of questions about how various 'sports' compare.
One distinctive feature about running is that it's fundamentally controlled by mechanics. The leg is a pendulum, it has a natural swing-speed. People with short legs take shorter strides, but their leg cadence is higher, largely negating the effects. Hence why elite runners aren't all 2 metres + tall .... and small children can easily keep up walking with their parents, despite being half the height. So runners tend to have a naturally tight spread - it's tough to take big strides, and force a pendulum to swing quicker, but you can't really run 'slow' , all you can do is take intentionally short strides. Or stop a lot if you're a real amateur!
Cycling is a 'tight spread' activity too, the laws of aerodynamics work against you. Travelling 2% faster requires 6% more power. You would need a lot of training to strengthen your muscles/heart/lungs, to achieve a rather miserable speed increase.

SnowyDay

The physical vs. mental certainly are differentiating factors. Cubing leverages both.