• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Being Competitive for US Nationals

US Nationals is being hosted near me this summer, and I was wondering with my just learning Intuitive F2L about a week ago, and beginning to start on Full PLL, my average times are around 40-50 seconds. Will I have enough time to become competitive for nationals? I'm talking like sub 20 to sub 15 times.

D

Deleted member 19792

Yes. Practice a lot though, and believe that you can do it.

Also just do some general solving while focusing on F2L. It helps. Don't really time yourself just go slow and see how the cube works.

MirzaCubing

WCA
2011MIRZ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Depends on your definition of "competitive" :p If you mean making it to the 3x3 finals, that might be a stretch. But if you practice diligently, I believe you can achieve sub-15 by Nationals :) Speaking from personal experience, I went from averaging 1:00 in June 2011 to averaging 16-17 in December 2011, and I didn't even know full OLL or PLL!
You should definitely learn full OLL and PLL by Nationals, and become efficient with intuitive F2L, while also learning more efficient algorithms for the harder F2L cases.
Best of luck at Nats!

Thanks for the positive reinforcements guys. I know it's 6 months out, and sub-20 in 6 months is a hefty goal, but I have no idea where to start with full PLL. I want to start memorizing PLL while still familiarizing myself with intuit F2L.

Myachii

WCA
2013MORR03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Unless you have a couple of weeks/months to spare once you're sub-20, don't bother with full OLL.
If you try to rush them all, when you compete you'll end up forgetting a lot of the algorithms and wasting more time than 2-look OLL.
Try and get familiar with which cases will come up during the last pair of F2L, i.e L shape, Line, Dot or Cross.
Full OLL is something you really need to commit yourself to, and you don't want to be learning other things alongside it, otherwise you'll get confused easily. There are a LOT of inverse algorithms in OLL, and they are all similar to algs you'll eventually learn with int. F2L and full PLL.

Perfect F2L, then PLL, then OLL if you have time.

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
Regardless of speed, register. You won't be the slowest there, but neither will you be even if the top 20. Compete for fun, and don't worry about being too slow because even now you're fast enough.