• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

beginner solving problem

mattman955

well i am new to solving the rubik's cube and i solved the green side(witch was my first side) and does the rest of the sides sould be a T but they arent. does that mean i have to start all over again?

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You have to pay attention to all stickers on each piece. If you don't know what I am talking about I recommend to turn your cube by 1/8 turn, so that you are halfway through a turn. Then use a screwdriver to pry out one of the middle pieces (not the pieces that are sticking out).

Once you get the first piece out, pull the remaining pieces off the cube. I want you to study each piece and see how many stickers are on the various types of pieces that were once your cube. Now try to put your cube back together solved. This is not so that you can cheat, but so that you can better learn how to solve a scrambled cube. Once your cube is back together in the solved state, then scramble it up again.

The idea is to realize that the top layer is made up not of 9 green stickers, but rather of 8 movable pieces (4 corners and 4 edges) as well as one central piece that spins in place.

You must realize that you are not trying to make 1 side green at first, that is not the goal at all. You are actually trying to place the 8 pieces that all have green stickers, next to the green center piece (the one in the center of a face that is green) such that the pieces all go into their eventual solved locations.

If my message doesn't make much sense, then take your cube apart the way I described. It will make much more sense after that. You cube will not be broken, I can assure you they are quite strong. But you need to understand that a cube is not 54 stickers, but rather 20 moveable pieces that move all over the cube, and 6 center pieces that spin in place in the center of each face. Taking your cube apart will make this completely clear.

Chris

jacob15728

i see what your saying.is it just to get to know my cube and how it works.

Yes, that's what he means. But you should make sure how understand that it is made up of three specific types of pieces that move and work differently, and that it is made up of pieces rather than stickers. The cube only has one solved configuration, so each piece has to be in the right position. When you solve the green side, the PIECES on that side have to be in the right place relative to each other. It's not good enough that you have 9 green stickers on the same side.

i use the cross method

i start with cross on one side and than go from there. if you complete only one size than you can move the cube without ruin it.