• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Bandaged cube scrambler

Pedro

WCA
2007GUIM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm not sure if this belongs here, but...

I was wondering how to make a bandaged cube scrambler...

I thought about creating a (big) tree, with all the possible moves after , [R] and [F] (possible moves at the start), but I think it would be too big :D

anybody has an idea?

tim

WCA
2007HABE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I thought about creating a (big) tree, with all the possible moves after , [R] and [F] (possible moves at the start), but I think it would be too big :D

1202436585430588041033063616 elements. Yes, it is too big.

My idea was using an array for each layer
Code:
1 1 4
2 2 4
3 3 0
and a nice algorithm to check whether a move is allowed without destroying any block of numbers.

TomZ

You would need backtracking for this, the best way to implement it would be recursion. If you had a way to handle moves on the bicube and see which ones are available, you could generate a scramble like this (pseudocode):

Code:
global string scramblefound

scramblefound = ""
biscramble(25, bicube.solved, "")

string biscramble(int length, bicube cubestate, string scramble){
	if length == 0{
		scramblefound = scramble
	}else{
		for each avaiable move sorted by random{
			return scramblefound
			biscramble(length-1, cubestate.applyMove, scamble + move)
		}
	}
	return scramblefound
}
I don't know if this will result in a scramble in a reasonable amount of time, but I suspect it could be quite fast.

tim

WCA
2007HABE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
TomZ: The interesting part is "for each avaiable move sorted by random"
and "cubestate.applyMove". The algorithm itself is rather trivial. But i can't think of a decent (small) data structure, which allows both easy manipulation and available move detection.

Pedro told me, that there's just one corner. Maybe it's possible to determine the possible moves from the orientation and permutation of this corner. That would make things much easier.

TomZ

Yes of course :) That is the hard part I don't fancy doing. :p

I think it (the bicube handling part) might be out there already. Jaap mentions he once did a search of the number of positions and configurations. [http://www.geocities.com/jaapsch/puzzles/bandage.htm]

There are only 440 configurations of the bandaged blocks. So that is manageable.

Isaev

For especially complex bandages, which are not so easy to scramble manually, you can write a scramble, as there are usually not many configurations.
And weakly bandaged can be mixed without scrambler

Want to hide this ad and support the community?