• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Ball Bearing Rubik's Cube

lazercrocdt

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello, I was just wondering is there any cube which has ball bearings? I don't mean something like the mf8 legend but a cube with actual rolling balls inside and it wouldn't have to be lubricated? And if there wasn't then whould ball bearings be TOO frictionless?

Meep

WCA
2008ASIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello, I was just wondering is there any cube which has ball bearings? I don't mean something like the mf8 legend but a cube with actual rolling balls inside and it wouldn't have to be lubricated? And if there wasn't then whould ball bearings be TOO frictionless?

In terms of them being 'TOO frictionless', you can just adjust how hard the bearing will be pressing down on the surface. As far as I know there aren't any mass produced 3x3 with them. However, it shouldn't be too difficult to add them, especially with cubes that let you split pieces apart.

MiPiCubed

WCA
2011CARR02
Someone should create a cube with magnets mounted in each piece so that they all repel and never actually touch, with ball bearings for extra smoothness. Make it out of like, carbon fiber or something. I would totally buy that cube. No friction, eva.

OMGitsSolved

WCA
2011LONG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You want no friction? I don't even think that is possible. And if a cube really did have no friction it would never stop spinning and it would be uncontrollable to use. If you just meant "No friction, eva." as in a small amount of friction it would still be really hard to control.

lazercrocdt

YouTube
Visit Channel
Someone should create a cube with magnets mounted in each piece so that they all repel and never actually touch, with ball bearings for extra smoothness. Make it out of like, carbon fiber or something. I would totally buy that cube. No friction, eva.
That would be an awesome cube and I love carbon fibre! There still would be friction because of the air around it when it turns! I dont think magnets would be a good idea because it could mess up electrical equipment and when you're in the middle of turning the pieces repel each other making it easier to pop!

Last edited:

Erzz

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
My noncuber friend is always joking about making a cube with ball bearings so you could do U270 with one flick.
Not single bearings like skewb or pyraminx, the ring things, like in good yo-yos.

daniel0731ex

I have had this concept in mind for a long time, but knew that it's actually impractical. Most of the friction in a cube came from the plactic cubies rubbing against each other, so having a ball bearing at the center piece only reduces a very minor portion of the friction.

However, another idea occured to me some times ago, that if there would be individual rollers on one side of every contacting surface, the turing resistance would be reduced significantly. Similar concept as the tracks on cubes like A2, Alpha mini, Alpha CC, etc. But it then have the problem of stability, which is much harder to solve than having simply raised tracks (which have already been refined significantly now).

BUT, the roller idea may be applied to improve the reverse corner-cutting. Instead of placed at the center of the surface, they could occupy the contacting edges on each pieces, which allows the pieces to glide easier in a misallignment. However, it won't work at certain angles when the pressure is directly perpendicular to the roller; plus, the method of using leverage to overcome the misallignment (i.e. Dayan Guhong) have already proven to be an extremely effective method.

Therefore we may conclude that roller systems on speedcubes are impractical and only adds production cost to the products, raising the already skyrocketed prices of speedcubes now(since when did the Guhone cost $15?)