• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Bad Cubing Habits?

xavier45

Hello, I wanted to know your bad cubing habits, for example if I am timing my self I will sometimes look at the timer and mess up my algorithm. Hope to see some very crazy responses from the community.

-xavier

WCA
2010CAVA01
I do this weird thing, get ready, it's pretty crazy. I don't know if you've heard of it, it's called popping. But, jokes aside, my last layer takes a crazily long time and I always procrastinate learning olls.

hcfong

WCA
2011FONG02
Not looking ahead for next F2L pair.
Full wrist turns (sorry, I just can't do fingertricks)
Not using the full 15 seconds inspection time to work out the cross

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If I get one bad solve, I redo the whole average.
I stopped doing that yesterday though, and funnily enough I seem to get better averages this way.

In CMLL I ALWAYS use my left hand to AUF. Yes, this means U', U' U', U' U' U' and U' U' U' U' as I can't double flick.

In inspection I tend to use either like 2 seconds, or 14 seconds. Both aren't good ideas...

I overuse weird moves like S or Fw. They are efficient sometimes but not fast... Again I started avoiding this yesterday.

Andreaillest

Premium Member
WCA
2012PANY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Looking at timer during solve and inserting things in wrong places. I can also get clumsy, especially on fast solves. I get excited and totally ruin any potential PB.

CRO

Definitely looking at the timer as I solve. And terribly slow LL.

Eleredo

Ouch, unfortunately I have a lot of them.

I...
* make my cross on the top
* do not properly use my inspection time and just start cubing right away which results in me having to look how to build the cross wasting valuable solving time in the process
* am not color neutral (well, I can solve the cube color neutral but way slower than when I pick white as my cross, the color I'm used to)
* move way too fast which results in bad look-ahead and lots of pauses
* do tons of cube rotations to make and insert F2L pairs
* do tons of U3's (or sometimes even U5's!) when looking for an F2L pair instead of rotating the cube
* have this weird way of doing D turns because I can't do the D fingertrick

adragast

I unfortunately have most of the bad habits mentioned:
- resetting the timer even if it is 0
- starting the solve before the 15s even though I am not ready planing the cross
- having planned the cross during inspection but going for another way to solve it when I start the solve
- rotating the cube during F2L a lot
- going too fast in the F2L for my look-ahead and then blame something else for my bad times (the cube, the light, bad luck, bad days...)
- using U a lot of times for PLL recognition, or just decide with feeling (hmmm this has to be a G perm... oh no, it wasn't....)
- using U a lot of times after my PLL (U' will be executed as U3, if the cube is solve I may do a UU' or do U and get a +2)